Decent Espresso news - Page 60

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#591: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Chert wrote:The artisan roasterscope team seems quite adept at configuring artisan for various devices. But please consider sending a scale to them.
Thanks for suggesting that. I've written it up as a feature request:
https://github.com/artisan-roaster-scop ... issues/631
Chert wrote:A 2 year warranty suggests to me this unit will last longer without failing than the cheap scales I have used over the years.

I hope so, and if not, I'll replace it until it does.

EDIT: a programmer on Artisan has already replied (Vadim), and expressed interest, so that's a good start.

Sponsor

#592: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

spressomon wrote:Manual states .2g accuracy for <200g loads for the new Decent Scale [from the manual on your website for this product: "Weighing accuracy: 0.2g (<200g) 0.5g (<1000g), 1g (<2000g)"].
(sigh) proof that even after 11 revisions, mistakes can still remain. Weirdly, the Korean translation I had my employee Shin do, refers to 0.1g accuracy, so evidently I'd written it correctly in an earlier draft.

At any rate...

It's 0.1g accurate, but like all load cells (that I know of), with declining accuracy as the load goes up.

The load cell supplier gives us this guarantee:
Weighing accuracy: 0.1g (<200g) 0.5g (<1000g), 1g (<2000g)

though in my experience, accuracy looks more like this (given the calibration weights I test with)
Weighing accuracy: 0.1g (<200g) 0.2g (<1000g), 0.3g (<2000g)
spressomon wrote:Also, what is the operating temperature range?
I don't have an answer to that, you're the first to ask. I have:
- poured boiling water over the top for 30 seconds
- placed a ~250C ceramic teacup on the top

without damaging the scale.

Can you tell me a bit more about the use-case you have in mind, where operating temperature is an issue?

Sponsor

#593: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

DanishGuy wrote:Is there an extra USB port in the DE1 to power the scale?
There is not. You should use an external (plugin) USB charger for the scale, not the DE1.

v1.3 and earlier DE1 tended to turn off USB charging during espresso making, as the 35W Meanwell power supply we used was just enough for all the valves to be held, but risky if we also kept USB charging.

As of v1.4 we switched to a 60W Meanwell power supply, so USB charging is on all the time. In theory you could split the USB power coming out the front between tablet and scale, but I think that'd be pretty ugly, and it's not I intended.

-john

spressomon

#594: Post by spressomon »

Thank you John for your reply, explanation and additional information.

Apart of camping, sometimes the ambient air temp is 30-40ºF and most scales just won't function reliably/predictably. The Brewista I and II, for example, functioned without issue unless the ambient air temp was below about 45ºF. The Acaia Lunar has proven to be immune to ambient air temp issues as low as freezing-ish :)

Admittedly you can probably count the # of users that care about low ambient air temp performance for their coffee scale, on one hand. Or less. :lol:
No Espresso = Depresso

Sponsor

#595: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) replying to spressomon »

I don't really have an answer for you, except to say that sometimes I've used the scale at 30ºC here (85ºF) in Hong Kong w/o problems, but I've never used it cold.

But, speaking honestly here, I'm not sure the Decent Scale is ideal for camping use. It's quite a bit more expensive than a cheap non-bluetooth scale, and likely a lot heavier too (about 350g). Wouldn't a tiny jewelers scale be best for camping use?

Something like this for $12 seems optimal for camping:

where as a bluetooth capable scale seems overkill.

spressomon

#596: Post by spressomon »

I've never found a scale, other than my Lunar, that doesn't freak out at the temps I mentioned above. The Lunar works just fine...no issues. Just curious if I opted to try your scale.

Thank you.
No Espresso = Depresso

Sponsor

#597: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

spressomon wrote:I've never found a scale, other than my Lunar, that doesn't freak out at the temps I mentioned above. The Lunar works just fine...no issues. Just curious if I opted to try your scale.Thank you.
You've piqued my curiousity now!

I've put a battery-filled Decent Scale in my fridge, a thermometer in there too, and a cup of 124g. I'll wait a few hours and then put the cup on the scale, and see what the weight is. Will report back...

Sponsor

#598: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Decent Factory Production Schedule now online

At https://decentespresso.com/batches you'll now find a full accounting of every machine scheduled, in progress, and past (starting this year).
- You can see every model we make, how many of them, and how long it takes us (in weekdays) to do that batch.
- There's also an estimate of how far along we are for the "in progress" batches of machines.
- And, you can see what we have planned for the next batches.
- If a model you're contemplating buying is not in stock, this will give you a good estimate of when it will be available.
- Totals per month are given
- You'll note that we've been doing more batches each month, but taking more time to do each. This is because we added a 3rd assembly line at the end of April:

Sponsor

#599: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Decent Scale in the Cold

I was asked if the Decent Scale could work in near-freezing temperatures. This espress glass weighs 124.0g at room temperature.... and the same when the scale (and batteries) have been sitting 6 hours in a 0ºC freezing-cold refrigerator.

I was also asked how hot conditions could get before the scale failed, but I'm not sure I want to put the scale in an oven to find out. =:-O

And before anyone asks... the LEDs on this scale as this was a beta model from December, that I still use for my own programming. The production scales use white-ish LEDs.

-john

spressomon

#600: Post by spressomon »

Right on! Thanks for doing that John!
No Espresso = Depresso