Decent Espresso news - Page 47

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#461: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

luckydragon wrote:Hi John, will the tablet still be permanently affixed to the stand?
You can ask us to ship your machine to you, with the tablet un-affixed. You can then choose your own tablet stand from the tens of thousands on Amazon.
luckydragon wrote:Hi John, will the tablet still be permanently affixed to the stand?
Have you considered adding a hinge so the stand could be folded flat, which could possibly remove (or minimize) the need for removal for the purposes of transport?
We tried it, and it bounced with screen taps.

But there are hinged stands on Amazon you can buy, if you want to give them a try
GDK wrote:The other benefit with this solution is that the machine will fit under more kitchen cabinets. If I was to buy the XL version, I have to remove the stand as my space is short by 1 cm or so, and likely make custom stand that is a bit more slanted. Of course, this will also require tightening/locking mechanism to prevent folding when pushing buttons on screen. This will add to the cost for sure.
Another alternative is to simply put the tablet on the table next to your DE1. The existing tablet stand works equally well on table, instead of being on the DE1.

Randy G.

#462: Post by Randy G. »

I AM IN THE QUEUE! My accessories have shipped (I think) and my DE1XL white 110V v1.4 is about three or maybe four weeks off from shipping. Thanks to Jon Buckman for his assistance in getting my order through! My Kafatek MC3 has been screaming at me to put him to work in a righteous cause. This should do it!
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Advertisement
decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#463: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

"Bengle" concept drawing for a 2022 Decent

Decent mechanical engineer Ben Champion showed me this set of concept drawings for a alternative chassis for the Decent. I'm calling this idea "Bengle" (as in "Ben designs with Angles"). I've made a version without a cup rail or tablet on the top right, to show a possible variation.

We've been working a while on a few different ideas for a re-skinned Decent Espresso Machine for launching in 2022. I've previously shown renders for Smorg. Bengle is another one we're considering.

We'd continue to make the current minimalist design v1.4 DE1 (DE1PRO/DE1XL).

Internally, all our machines would be built on the same chassis, just the "skin" changes, as a final step during assembly.

For me, the fundamental goals of a redesign is to
fit into people's existing spaces (both homes and cafes)
the machine should have a visual personality, and elicit a visceral "wow" reaction.
but it should avoid making a strong visual statement, which would make it difficult to fit into people's existing spaces.

For me, the Simonelli Prima One and the La Marzocco Mini, both accomplish this remit brilliantly.

I feel that current Decent models fit into a kitchen that has Braun kitchen appliances, ie modernist minimalism.

I feel that we could do a lot better at eliciting a "Wow" as well as fitting into more existing spaces.

What do you think?

-john

D_Prince
Supporter ♡

#464: Post by D_Prince »

Very nice! I'd choose a black & dark wood option, but this seems very polished. Angles are intentional and design is coherent overall. Definitely see the nods to the GS3 and like machines while still going a different route stylistically. I love well designed products. Has to be functional, but it being attractive just knocks it up another level.

While I know it's just a concept at this point, I hope this makes it to production!

TallDan

#465: Post by TallDan »

I like the Bengle. I assume that the wood would add some to the price, but I'd probably go for it if i was buying and it was available.

Chert

#466: Post by Chert »

Maybe also for those who don't care about the appearance and just want the function, offer a kit of the working bits and frame, leave off any kind of surround.
LMWDP #198

ira
Team HB

#467: Post by ira »

The Bengle is the first design that's made me consider it.

Ira

Advertisement
pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#468: Post by pizzaman383 »

Chert wrote:Maybe also for those who don't care about the appearance and just want the function, offer a kit of the working bits and frame, leave off any kind of surround.
I really like this idea!
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

sosha
Supporter ♡

#469: Post by sosha »

LOVE the Bengle model. May swing my next purchase back in the direction of a Decent......
LMWDP #440
www.kelpfish.com

Auctor

#470: Post by Auctor »

Bengle is going in the right direction. I like the cleanness of the wood, and it feels a bit more romantic and kitchen counter-worthy than the current all-metal look. Few addl comments:

1) I've noticed that the more expensive machines seem to take pride in the machine's "feet". Some of them have big and (sometimes) shiny legs that make the machine look a bit interesting (and sturdy).

2) Have you considered adding a couple of buttons and a display to the Decent, which would allow you to operate the machine without the tablet altogether? Would love to see a tablet-optional version of the product.

3) Can you get rid of the handle in the front, and move it to the side? The wood trim is awesome, but having a piece of wood sticking out from the machine feels off?