Decent Espresso news - Page 36

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#351: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

On a recent "buying advice" thread in HB, there was a question posed asking
What can a DE1 do that a Lever cannot?
As a vendor, I'm not allowed to post in a buying-advice discussion. But I am allowed to here in the Marketplace section of HB :D

Firstly, I'll say that I LOVE springless levers, and for people who want to make espresso cheap, can't say enough about machines like the Flair or Robot. I'm less a fan of springed levers, because you can't change the profile. However, springed levers are still a massive improvement for me over flat-9-bar machines.

The biggest thing the DE1 gives you is accurate data: flow rate, pressure at the puck, and temperature at the puck. There are machines out there that do parts of what the DE1 do (ie, temp profiling, flow profiling, pressure profiling) but without seeing what's actually happening, it's hard to control. And, if the control is manual on those machines, the lack of visibility makes it difficult to know what to do, and then to definitely do what you intended to.

But, I absolutely think that a springless lever can do much of what the DE1 can do, if you know what you want to do.

There's one big exception: the DE1 has control over the flow rate during preinfusion, and repeatedly so, and few machines tell you what debit you're getting at that point. Lever machines don't tend to have preinfusion flow control. The Bianca and Slayer and other needle valve machines do, and you can measure the debit with an Acaia and no portafilter beforehand, so you can figure it out.

I've found that preinfusion flow rate is massively important, and can/should be varied for different beans and roasts.

-john

Sponsor

#352: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Decent Espresso CAD files

Ben today updated the CAD files for our espresso models, which are freely available on our web site.

I thought I'd make a little video about this, and show you some of the uses the CAD files are put (thanks Sheldon!).

And also to remind you that you can find the CAD files here https://decentespresso.com/overview

The OnShape versions of the drawings are particularly useful, as their no cost, web-based CAD software is very nicely done.

Advertisement
Sponsor

#353: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Randy G. wrote:John,
The Decent website can be a challenge to navigate. For example, the DE1XL has an image with the metric dimensions of that model but I could not find the same for the DE1Pro anywhere. I would have expected it to be on the Pro's page or maybe on the comparison chart.
Sorry you had trouble finding that. The dimensions drawing is on the Overview page:
https://decentespresso.com/overview

The reason it's there is the the De1+/DE1PRO shared the same dimensions.

At any rate, we're in the process of merging the DE1+/DE1PRO/DE1XL/DE1XXL pages into one, because those models are all almost identical, so it makes it hard for people to find information: should they go to the overview page, or the specific model page?

Randy G.

#354: Post by Randy G. »

decent_espresso wrote:Sorry you had trouble finding that.
Thank you, John. In between dealing with the final +/- three weeks of my home build I am attempting to put together my order... The excitement grows!
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Sponsor

#355: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Help me choose a Decent book title, take this survey:
https://www.survey-maker.com/QLH27Y4BI

GDK

#356: Post by GDK »

It may be too late to throw in a new name but here:

Decent Guide to Great Espresso

Sponsor

#357: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

New coffee cart designs

Today we've added two new coffee cart designs. There's a more roomy 1 DE1XL/XXL top, and the exact opposite goa: a 3 DE1XL/DE1XXL top for high volume. https://decentespresso.com/coffeecart

In the video I made showing my coffee cart:

you can see printed foam panels cover the tubing and other ugly-but-necessary stuff inside the cart. To mount those, you need longer bolts, and we sourced nice flat ones, black, of the right length.

The goal is to provide you with everything you need to put together a Decent cart using IKEA cheap-but-fantastic BROR system.

We're also in the process of revamping the way we present our espresso machines. Instead of priotizing the model name, we're focussing on how they're going to sit and look in your space. That's actually the main difference between the models, except for the DE1XXL being faster at steaming. https://decentespresso.com/compare

Here's what the new home page looks like now, introducing the machines:

Again, the goal is to simplify and clarify.

There's still lots of work to do, especially about how to reorganize the huge amount of information and videos we have, to make things easier for you when you visit our site.

-john

Advertisement
Kingrex

#358: Post by Kingrex »

Sorry if this is answered. I did not want to read thru the entire thread. Is the Tablet wifi connected to the machine. I want to use this machine at home and I don't have room with the tablet on top of the machine to clear my cabinet top. I want to have the tables remote to dial the machine in, then use the controller on top to make every day coffee. Thanks, Rex

John49

#359: Post by John49 replying to Kingrex »

The tablet can be mounted remotely, but must be connected to a source of power.

lessthanjoey

#360: Post by lessthanjoey »

Kingrex wrote:Sorry if this is answered. I did not want to read thru the entire thread. Is the Tablet wifi connected to the machine. I want to use this machine at home and I don't have room with the tablet on top of the machine to clear my cabinet top. I want to have the tables remote to dial the machine in, then use the controller on top to make every day coffee. Thanks, Rex
That works fine. The tablet isn't required to pull a shot, the buttons on the GHC will make a shot with the last profile setup from the tablet.