Decent Espresso news - Page 33

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
User avatar
decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#321: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

mooky wrote:I decided to leave my question up anyway because I guess what I meant was closed-loop temperature control & some way of of controlling how much microfoam is created (cappuccino vs heated milk). I was just curious if it was something you'd thought about, because - holy sh** - it seems like you've thought of everything else!
We're actively working on auto-stop of the steam, based on a real temperature measurement. It's actually a conversation we're having on Diaspora right now.

There are several projects, including a temp probe on the bottom of the jug, or in the jug, or an infrared thermometer, or a mini IR camera. We'll solve this one way or another, fairly soon.

Here's the research I did a year ago with an infrared thermometer, and a chart showing how it does track the in milk temperature, with a dependable temperature delta, so remote sensing would definitely work.

mooky

#322: Post by mooky »

decent_espresso wrote:We're actively working on auto-stop of the steam, based on a real temperature measurement. It's actually a conversation we're having on Diaspora right now.
Excellent. Thanks for the reply.

What about control of the milk texture? (Or have I missed something about the ghost steaming procedure?)
So far, I have done next to zero manual texturing - I tend to use the oracle's auto texturing whenever I need to make a milk drink - so could well be missing something obvious in your videos.

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
gnarlsagan

#323: Post by gnarlsagan »

Just received my brand new DE1XL and went to pull my first shot, and the machine won't start heating. It never moves from "Wait" to "Ready" on the tablet, and the temperature shows that 89C is the target, but that the metal is at 25C. How does one get the DE1XL to start heating?
Also, as an aside, is this $4000 machine supposed to come with a user manual, a welcome kit, or any basic beginners guide to pull a shot? I had to google a video to figure out how to lower the "straw" (not sure of the actual part name) into the water tank, since there is literally no information provided with the DE1XL. I don't mind learning things (I'm an engineer) but am I meant to tinker with this machine rather than read any documentation? Emailed them, but figured I'd try my luck here.

stherric

#324: Post by stherric »

There is all of this information in the link to basecamp below. You should have received an email from decent inviting you to this repository/forum. Everyone there is super friendly and the decent folks will help set you straight.

Sounds like the Tablet isn't connected to the machine. It should say disconnected in smaller font below the word wait.

https://3.basecamp.com/3671212/projects/7351439

gnarlsagan

#325: Post by gnarlsagan »

Thank you for responding stherric. I have not yet been invited to basecamp.

My tablet was connected to the machine, but for some reason the machine would not heat up. I started the firmware upgrade from the tablet (because why not) and after it completed after about 45 minutes, the machine heated up normally and I was able to successfully pull a shot without issue. I'm not sure how the tablet knew the machine had a firmware upgrade, since not only did the tablet say the machine was up-to-date prior to the upgrade, my tablet was not connected to the internet. Very happy it works now though!

lessthanjoey
Supporter ♡

#326: Post by lessthanjoey »

gnarlsagan wrote:Thank you for responding stherric. I have not yet been invited to basecamp.

My tablet was connected to the machine, but for some reason the machine would not heat up. I started the firmware upgrade from the tablet (because why not) and after it completed after about 45 minutes, the machine heated up normally and I was able to successfully pull a shot without issue. I'm not sure how the tablet knew the machine had a firmware upgrade, since not only did the tablet say the machine was up-to-date prior to the upgrade, my tablet was not connected to the internet. Very happy it works now though!
Check your spam maybe? Everyone gets invited when the machine ships but maybe something just went wrong? Anyway, hope to see you over there.

User avatar
TomC
Team HB

#327: Post by TomC »

decent_espresso wrote:We're actively working on auto-stop of the steam, based on a real temperature measurement. It's actually a conversation we're having on Diaspora right now.

]
This is really cool! I actually bought a ThermoWorks IR thermaGun back during a major sale around Thanksgiving, knowing I was going to soon buy a DE machine. I thought it would be awesome to 3D print a housing that held the IR components and had it aim at a spot where the pitcher of milk sat.

I'm not tech savvy at all, but I figured if someone could figure out how to output that IR signal to the DE, it would be really awesome, hands off conistency.

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
User avatar
decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#328: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

gnarlsagan wrote:Just received my brand new DE1XL and went to pull my first shot, and the machine won't start heating. It never moves from "Wait" to "Ready" on the tablet, and the temperature shows that 89C is the target, but that the metal is at 25C. How does one get the DE1XL to start heating?
Also, as an aside, is this $4000 machine supposed to come with a user manual, a welcome kit, or any basic beginners guide to pull a shot? I had to google a video to figure out how to lower the "straw" (not sure of the actual part name) into the water tank, since there is literally no information provided with the DE1XL. I don't mind learning things (I'm an engineer) but am I meant to tinker with this machine rather than read any documentation? Emailed them, but figured I'd try my luck here.
It sounds to me like the standby switch (left of the group head) is pressed in, and thus the machine is not heating. Press this button, power cycle your DE1, and you should be fine

As to the manual, it is at https://decentespresso.com/manual and you should have an invitation to Diaspora (private forum), and an email with 3 videos and other info, to get you started. Perhaps your spam filter has discarded these emails? Please go to https://decentespresso.com/support/read_emails and see if they're there (they should be).

Also, HB isn't really the right place for tech support for existing customers, as we have dedicated resources for that (a team of employees, instead of just me here on HB for sales prospects). Can I ask that you either http://decentespresso.com/contact us directly or use Diaspora?

User avatar
decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#329: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

mooky wrote:What about control of the milk texture? (Or have I missed something about the ghost steaming procedure?)
So far, I have done next to zero manual texturing - I tend to use the oracle's auto texturing whenever I need to make a milk drink - so could well be missing something obvious in your videos.
The texture of the milk is largely determined by the starting position of the steam wand tip. Barely above the top of the milk will give you thick, cappuccino foam, whereas a bit under the milk line, will give you latte, and deeper still will give you flat white.

I realize this might not be as dummy-proof as the Oracle, but the intended audience for this machine is different, aiming more for power than simplicity.

mooky

#330: Post by mooky » replying to decent_espresso »

Roger.

Many thanks for taking the time to answer.