Decent Espresso news - Page 27

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
edwinp0606

#261: Post by edwinp0606 »

Hi John. Deciding if I need to get the De1XXl. I live in the US. For us home users, can we buy a step up transformer to plug the 220v De1xxl? Any recommendation which type of transformer appropriate to the machine?

Thanks.

larsenpedersen

#262: Post by larsenpedersen »

Hi John,

I currently don't own a Decent Espresso myself ( so I don't have access to stuff like the Basecamp that I know exists) but I've started looking into creating skins for the machine.

I can't really find too many ressources about this (except from other skins).

Do you have any documentation/swagger/etc. available? - both for skins, but also for the potential APIs, etc. - Anything would be appreciated.

Also: Is it possible for non-customers to get access to the resources on Basecamp?

/LarsenPedersen

lessthanjoey

#263: Post by lessthanjoey »

edwinp0606 wrote:Hi John. Deciding if I need to get the De1XXl. I live in the US. For us home users, can we buy a step up transformer to plug the 220v De1xxl? Any recommendation which type of transformer appropriate to the machine?

Thanks.
Not John, but no. It'd be far too much current for a normal home circuit. If you wanted it you could get a dedicated 220V outlet (although I think you're crazy getting this for home and should just get the DE1+).

decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#264: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

edwinp0606 wrote:Hi John. Deciding if I need to get the De1XXl. I live in the US. For us home users, can we buy a step up transformer to plug the 220v De1xxl? Any recommendation which type of transformer appropriate to the machine?
No, you can't up-transform, as there's just enough power in 120V.

But it shouldn't be a problem, as most USA home kitchens have 240V lines already for things like ovens, and electric clothes driers. You'll need to pay an electrician to give you a plug, but it's not usually a big deal. I'm sure many other HBers have done this to use 230V EU traditional boiler machines.

Sponsor

#265: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

larsenpedersen wrote:Hi John, I currently don't own a Decent Espresso myself ( so I don't have access to stuff like the Basecamp that I know exists) but I've started looking into creating skins for the machine. I can't really find too many ressources about this (except from other skins). Do you have any documentation/swagger/etc. available? - both for skins, but also for the potential APIs, etc. - Anything would be appreciated.
Hi Larsen,

All the documentation to do this is part of Diaspora, and comes with ownership of a DE1.

As an example, here's a page on fonts and skins that I just made a public URL for:
https://public.3.basecamp.com/p/r8rBSbZ ... Ha24kWAtWh

There are also other projects, such as an NPM library for the DE1, that makes quite good reading as an API guide, as it's really clean. Though it looks like Lukas is dropping it (or rewriting?) https://github.com/LukasBombach/de1-deprecated

And the github for the de1app: https://github.com/decentespresso/de1app/
larsenpedersen wrote: Also: Is it possible for non-customers to get access to the ressources on Basecamp?
Sorry, it really isn't. I only want DE1 owners to be discussing these things. Having non-owners just (sorry) would be wasting time, since you can't actually use anything you'd do.

-john

Sponsor

#266: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

re: API

It is possible for anyone on Diaspora to make a public link to a page, but it is a manual process, and you don't get to participate in the conversation, ask questions, etc...

Since you asked about API, all communications happen between the DE1 itself, and a high speed serial port to a comm chip, which currently runs Bluetooth.

Here are the docs on that serial port protocol:
https://public.3.basecamp.com/p/jVLN28a ... VggpauQyTD

which is what the bluetooth protocol sits on top of.

Note that there are other projects, such as DESIRE, which give USB and Wifi access to the same port, here is 1 page (of several) of docs on that:
https://public.3.basecamp.com/p/MAegyJ8 ... 8mpjUFNdkH

and USB support is coming soon from Decent itself, as an external dongle that will work on all existing DE1.

Sponsor

#267: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

A Safer DE1XL

With the current DE1XL espresso machine we sell, when you remove the magnetic-locked back panel, you can then see the metal back of the espresso machine. If you were looking to hurt yourself, you could get a screwdriver and start poking into the few exposed holes on the back, which are there for ventilation, and to not block the Bluetooth antenna signal. Since the back is customer facing, there's a risk that some child might try to pry off the back and then try to get into further trouble.

You can see how this magnetic panel works in more detail in this video as well as on the top left photo above:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfdUtG_UQic

It's unlikely that most people would do such a silly thing, but.... to make the DE1XL back as safe as the other models we sell, next month we're going to start putting two back panels on these models.

There will be an internal panel that is visible only when you remove the outer panel. You can see that panel on the top right of the photo above.

This change makes the final panel mount 1mm deeper, so the overlap of the metal case is 1mm less. However, I think it still looks pretty good.

For existing DE1XL owners who want to do this to their existing machines, we'll have a kit we can send you, that we'll include for free with any other purchase you make with us.

debuggr

#268: Post by debuggr »

John, a minor thing I'm wondering about the DE1XL and the back panel: if I choose not to plumb in a DE1XL, would I need to pop off the outer back panel to access the lever that secures the water tank whenever I need to refill the tank? I'm assuming the answer is yes and it's not a big deal.
LMWDP #684

Sponsor

#269: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) replying to debuggr »

Yes, exactly right. But if you have your DE1XL against a wall, you could just leave the back panel off, since nobody is going to approach it from that side.

But yes, this is also why we made that back panel magnetic, so that it's not too much fuss to remove it.

Sponsor

#270: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

LEVA on DE1 with Smart Espresso Profiler (SEP)

Gabor from SEP shared with me this video he made, of capturing a La Marzocco LEVA shot with SEP, and then recreating it with the DE1 and SEP software.
The SEP support for the DE1 is something we're testing now here at Decent, and we'll be making several videos to show you how to use this. The SEP software is free of cost to use, for DE1 users, and works with all models we have made that have a group head controller on it.