Decent Espresso news - Page 26

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
Mattrussell

#251: Post by Mattrussell »

decent_espresso wrote:I have good news there, namely that the Decent Scale R&D is done, and we're scheduled to manufacture in March. I'm finalizing the manual and packaging "as we speak".
... the SEP folks are committed to making the Decent Scale work, and I'll be sending them a free scale and supporting them. Based on how good their programmer is (he's good!) I don't think you'll have long to wait, once we ship.
Acaia makes really, really small scales, much smaller than ours will be. We're about the size of the Acaia Pearl, but with a different shape. I don't know that it'll fit under the Flair, to be honest.
That all sounds very promising, thanks for the update!

If your scale is still the quoted 103 mm x 158 mm, it will actually fit very nicely under the Flair, as shown below (I used a screenshot from your YouTube video to get the shape and scaled to the correct dimensions). Unlike the Pearl, its oval shape works for us. So while Acaia sounds great, the only one that really fits nicely under the Flair is the Pyxis, and I don't think it's worth paying for the tiny size when it's actually the shape that's the issue.

Accessing the buttons might be a little awkward, but I reckon you could rotate it slightly to do that. And it's less of an issue if you're using the SEP app.

decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#252: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Mattrussell wrote:That all sounds very promising, thanks for the update!
If your scale is still the quoted 103 mm x 158 mm, it will actually fit very nicely under the Flair, as shown below (I used a screenshot from your YouTube video to get the shape and scaled to the correct dimensions). Unlike the Pearl, its oval shape works for us. So while Acaia sounds great, the only one that really fits nicely under the Flair is the Pyxis, and I don't think it's worth paying for the tiny size when it's actually the shape that's the issue.
Accessing the buttons might be a little awkward, but I reckon you could rotate it slightly to do that. And it's less of an issue if you're using the SEP app.
Huh that's really interesting. I went for the pill shape for two reasons:
  • fits two latte glasses with no wasted space
  • less depth meant it fit into a DE1 drip tray (and other drip trays too).
So if those reasons means it also fits on the Flair, that's super cool. I'm buddies with one of the Flair people, and if it works, we'll sort out some sort of co-promotion.

ps: here's a photo of the Decent Scale on the DE1 next to my desk, so you can see the size and fit.

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
supercres

#253: Post by supercres »

Apol if I missed this- on the topic of scales, does the Acaia Pearl work for under-drip-tray measuring the way the Skale does? Either with or without an additional piece to prop it up. I looked at dimensions schematic but the height below drip tray and between legs wasn't specified.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#254: Post by Brewzologist »

Will the Decent scale also work for a stand-alone pour over if the mug/carafe overhangs the sides of the scale a little? I have a small carafe I use for single pour overs that is 10.5mm in diameter at the base.

Thank you.

Sponsor

#255: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

decent_espresso wrote:On the DE1XXL, we'll be using a C19 female inlet plug, on our machine power inlet
whereas what you have there looks like a NEMA-5-20R.
But it's not a big deal, you just need to just buy the right thing off Amazon for ~$25, such as :
https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-IEC-3 ... 0012ELTK8/
Looking back at this post I wrote concerning the plugs on the upcoming DE1XXL I need to correct something I wrote.

Namely, all DE1 models at the moment will continue to have the same IEC C13/C14 plug on the DE1.

It's only the wall-plug side that will change for USA customers of this new DE1XXL model. That will be a NEMA-5 plug. For the rest of the world, which runs on 220V-240V, it'll be whatever plug your country uses. It's only the USA that has a strange relationship to 220V-240V, and so this question of "what plug" comes up.

10A is as high as we can go on the IEC C13/C14 plug combo, which is why for our R&D DE1XXXL model (15A) that we're building in-house for testing, we'll be using a C19/C20 plug on the DE1 side.

Sponsor

#256: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Brewzologist wrote:Will the Decent scale also work for a stand-alone pour over if the mug/carafe overhangs the sides of the scale a little? I have a small carafe I use for single pour overs that is 10.5mm in diameter at the base..
Yah, no problem. One of the reasons I went for a vertical weight display, is so you can cover the platform and still read the weight from the side. That's not possible on scales where the weight LED is facing upwards.
supercres wrote:Apol if I missed this- on the topic of scales, does the Acaia Pearl work for under-drip-tray measuring the way the Skale does? Either with or without an additional piece to prop it up. I looked at dimensions schematic but the height below drip tray and between legs wasn't specified.
I haven't seen anyone make a scale stand for the Acaia. But there are a lot of 3D printing hobbyists on the Diaspora, so maybe you can convince someone to draw it up for you.

-john

Sponsor

#257: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Out of white drip trays

We normally include a white drip tray with our white DE1XL model, but due to COVID delays, we are out of stock of them until March.

This letter will come in the suitcase of any white DE1XL we ship now.

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
Sponsor

#258: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Disco lit Decent

Some of our customers have started to pimp their Decent by putting LED lights inside the transparent case. So we decided to figure out all the safe places LEDs could be placed, and fully document how to do it yourself. The LED kit we bought has a microphone in it, so that the light show responds to what the Decent is currently doing.

Fabrice has drawn up his suggestions for where to put the LEDs, and this is now part of the Decent Manual.

"A.14.2 Fabrice LED inside lighting"
https://public.3.basecamp.com/p/QV8adf6 ... H2C9biAbbh

Sponsor

#259: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

The Ten Minute Challenge

I frequently get questions from potential café customers asking "will the decent be fast enough?"

My response is usually two-fold:
  • plan on about 1 minute to make an espresso drink, and 2 minutes for a milk drink
    and what is their forecasted max drinks/hour, during the morning rush?
But while those "1 minute espresso, 2 minute latte" timings are estimates that I think are honest, I haven't actually tried it and timed myself.

So recently, each Friday afternoon, I've been making espresso at full speed, on my two-DE1XL coffee cart, for about ten minutes. It's taking me an average of 45 seconds to make a Londinium-recipe espresso. I made 16 of them in 12 minutes, this past Friday. This my setup:

I'm fairly happy with this speed, as I'm doing a bunch of "specialty coffee things" that a normal cafe would say they don't have time for, such as:
  • weighing every dose as I go, to 15g, +/-0.2g
  • use a slow, single dose grinder (the Niche) so I have no bean aging from a hopper
  • using a funnel on the portafilter, while I grind.
  • grooming the puck with WDT, then tap the portafilter, then tamp
  • Yet still, I'm at 45 seconds on average. There are two "tricks", though:
  • I have a 3rd portafilter, that allows me to have a portafilter prepped when the espresso ends. I can swap the portafilter and hit start, right away.
  • Or to grind while espresso is keeping the two machines busy.
  • Espresso making is the slowest process, especially with the Londinium recipe, which is a fairly long and slow one, with about 20s of preinfusion. But it tastes great.
  • The pitcher rinser makes portafilter cleaning much faster, about 5 seconds total to knock the puck out, rinse the portafilter and dry it.
  • A portafilter stand so I don't have to mind the portafilter during grinding.
My goal is to have a workflow where:
  • I never stop working, thus I'm never waiting
  • Both DE1XL machines are making espresso virtually without pause. As soon as an espresso cycle ends, I start the next espresso quickly.
  • On Friday, there were two times where I had to wait about 20s each time, for the espressos to finish. I wondered if a 4th portafilter would have been useful, to keep me busy.

The Ten Minute Challenge

Over the next few months, I'm going to be making videos where I see how many drinks I can make, with a certain setup, in ten minutes. I'll be trying each setup with an all-espresso menu, and again with an all-latte menu. Here are the setups I'm testing.
  • 1 DE1XL, 1 Niche
  • 2 DE1XL, 1 Niche (both with a without a portioning milk dispenser for making lattes)
  • 4 DE1XL, 1 Niche, just for latte making. 2 DE1XL will make espresso, 2 will steam 200ml/8oz lattes "hands free".
Besides getting an overall feel for average time per drink, I feel that this process will also show us where time is being wasted. For example, if we can portion milk into a jug quickly and accurately, that will save 20s from having to:
  • remove milk thermometer from the pitcher
  • rinser the pitcher
  • put thermometer back
  • and there's a 5 second time savings in using a warm pitcher, which is lost if you rinse. Steam time on the DE1XXL goes from 23s to 18s for an 8os drink.
I've also realized that the "small bror" table is a bit too small, and slows me down, so we just designed and had made, a prototype DE1XL big-bror table. I had previously design this table for two DE1XL, but that's *really* crammed. With only 1 DE1XL on it's it a pleasure to use. It's amazing how much 60cm of additional width helps. Here's what that top looks like.

Next we'll be making a 3 DE1XL big-BROR table top, which can go at a right angle to this table, giving the barista easy access to 4 DE1XLs. That'll be fun to use!

I think we're a long way from 10 milk drinks in 4.5 minutes, like Dritan does. I'll be happy if we can get to half as fast as him.

Sponsor

#260: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

3 Group Decent Espresso Machine

As part of the "Ten Minute Challenge" I'm starting to think about how to speed up how many coffees can be made per hour in a cafe.

We've designed a 3 group table top, that will fit on IKEA's BROR table, which costs just USD$149. You buy the table at your local IKEA, but use our precut and nicely finished, replacement tabletop.

This functions like a traditional 3 group machine, except that each group is independent, and you get 3 separate steaming stations. With the upcoming DE1XXL higher powered model, and hands-free steaming, you should be able to make drinks fairly quickly with this setup.

Traditional commercial espresso machines build everything into one box. This looks impressive on the bar, but it has some disadvantages:
one fault can bring all the group heads down at once, so you can't make make any espresso at all
  • it's very heavy, so that shipping has to be on a pallet, and repairs have to be on premises, since shipping the machine for repairs is not feasible.
  • Moving the machine usually takes 2 people.
  • it limits the workflow possibilities you have.
We took a different approach, of only making single group espresso machines, with each one is totally separate from the other.
  • If one goes down, the other two still work.
  • The weight, at 21kg, is light enough to send via UPS to us for a quick repair, which is why we include a suitcase with each machine.
  • You can position the machines as you wish, in whatever way works best for your workflow.
In a few weeks, we'll be selling this new tabletop. Like the previous tops, it will be priced https://decentespresso.com/c?filter=bror at our cost. We aren't in the furniture business, so we're not looking to profit from selling you this wood top. Our value add is in the espresso equipment we make.

-john