Decent Espresso news - Page 25

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#241: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

The archive of the Reddit AMA is now here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/espresso/comme ... a/?sort=qa

I think it makes a quite good FAQ for non-Decent-owners.

GDK

#242: Post by GDK »

Hi John, will the new 220-250V XXL model for North America require 15A receptacle like this, once the 250V line is in place (top side on the picture):

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/16292-w

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
Sponsor

#243: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

GDK wrote:Hi John, will the new 220-250V XXL model for North America require 15A receptacle like this, once the 250V line is in place (top side on the picture): https://www.leviton.com/en/products/16292-w
On the DE1XXL, we'll be using a C19 female inlet plug, on our machine power inlet

whereas what you have there looks like a NEMA-5-20R.

But it's not a big deal, you just need to just buy the right thing off Amazon for ~$25, such as :
https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-IEC-3 ... 0012ELTK8/

Sponsor

#244: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

We've chopped up the video from last week's zoom, where the topic was "Picking the right recipe for the bean", into separate videos per-topic, for easier reference.
-john

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#245: Post by PIXIllate »

I'm really enjoying these Zoom streams. There is much information about coffee/espresso to be gleaned from them regardless of what machine you own. And with each one I get closer to the conclusion that the only machine I would consider buying in the future is the DE1. Many thanks John for the refreshingly open way you share your hard earned knowledge about espresso. Most companies would keep all that behind a very high pay wall. I think you're wise to play the long game by sharing it and continually tempting potential customers to join the revolution.

Sponsor

#246: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Out of DE1XL steam wands, so using Normal Wands, will send XL v2 wand later

New DE1XL customers, from now until April, will be receiving their machines with a Normal steam wand, and this printed apology letter in the suitcase.

If anyone wants to talk more about it, here's the place to do it.

This will also get posted onto all forums and social media.

Here is a video I made, showing how to swap the steam wand yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RPBf_wp2Io

Growing a manufacturing quickly, during COVID, is turning out to be super challenging. So far, we're managing, but there are compromises.

-john

COVID has caused big problems with our "supply chain" and,

Our new v2 DE1XL steam wand has been delayed for several months

In order to not delay the delivery of your espresso machine, we've installed the normal steam wand on your espresso machine.

In a few months, we expect to get the v2 design of our XL steam wand, and we'll send it to you automatically when it arrives.

It's super easy swap steam wands. We've got a video showing you how. We'll send you that video later. We even include two custom made wrenches for the job.

Sorry again about the swap! If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to write, or to post on any of the forums I hang out on.

-John from Decent Espresso

Mattrussell

#247: Post by Mattrussell »

Hi John,

What's the status on the Decent Scale? The website has said you're still creating it for a while now. I know you've been busy making DE machines and then there's the pandemic, of course, so I understand if it's not a priority right now.

Also, will it work with the Smart Espresso Profiler App?

I'm hoping to use this with a Flair because I like the Decent philosophy of 'measuring so you can manage it', but am limited to the manual approach by my budget! And the Acaia scales either don't fit under the Flair or are silly prices.

Cheers,

Matt

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
Sponsor

#248: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Mattrussell wrote:What's the status on the Decent Scale? The website has said you're still creating it for a while now. I know you've been busy making DE machines and then there's the pandemic, of course, so I understand if it's not a priority right now.
I have good news there, namely that the Decent Scale R&D is done, and we're scheduled to manufacture in March. I'm finalizing the manual and packaging "as we speak".
Mattrussell wrote:Also, will it work with the Smart Espresso Profiler App?
Yes, the SEP folks are committed to making the Decent Scale work, and I'll be sending them a free scale and supporting them. Based on how good their programmer is (he's good!) I don't think you'll have long to wait, once we ship.
Mattrussell wrote:I'm hoping to use this with a Flair because I like the Decent philosophy of 'measuring so you can manage it', but am limited to the manual approach by my budget! And the Acaia scales either don't fit under the Flair or are silly prices.
Acaia makes really, really small scales, much smaller than ours will be. We're about the size of the Acaia Pearl, but with a different shape. I don't know that it'll fit under the Flair, to be honest.

Sponsor

#249: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

New faces at Decent

My apologies, I haven't had time to do any new programming in 2 weeks as I've been interviewing for new positions here. Since we seem to be able to sell espresso machines without too much effort, instead I'm focussing on hiring people to support people who do buy our machines.

So, here are a few people you'll hear from over time:
  • Mohammed: standup comic, actor https://www.mohammedmagdi.com/ English teacher (also does French) and home espresso fan. He's going to work with me and Ihti to make a lot of new instructional videos, and just generally focus on communications (videos, home page, social media, how people learn and use the Decent).
  • Emy: pro barista and educator, with an IT support background, she'll be focussed on helping people brand new to espresso, or new to "The Decent Way" to go from "bad espresso" to "yummy". So... dialing in, puck prep, what recipe to use, how to tell if the shot looks bad, all that stuff. She'll be on Diaspora and 1:1 on tech support too.
  • We've also hired a new boxer (Allan), new purchasing assistant (Shanshan) and new machine builder (Alfred is a serious pro barista for 3 years from a double-michelin star restaurant, an engineer with a decade of building experience in the UK, and also a native Italian speaker).
  • So, those are the five people starting this week and next. Everyone above has excellent English skills (both Mohammed and Emy are native English speakers).
My aim over the next few months is really smoothing out the experience you all have, after you've opened your DE1 cardboard box.

-john

Sponsor

#250: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Pretty amazing light and etching modifications to our transparent vinyl cover, by espresso-machine-customizers
https://www.instagram.com/uaeespressoservice/