Decent Espresso news - Page 23

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#221: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

% sales trends for each model

In planning how many DE1 suitcases to get for each size, I needed to make a forecast of what models people have been buying. Our DE1XL model takes different internal foam from the DE1+/DE1PRO models.

Some insights:
  • The DE1XL model was very slow to start, and now has been taking sales away from our DE1PRO model
  • The DE1+ model is very stable at 30% of our machine sales
  • DE1XL sales briefly shot up, at the same time that we had them in stock. We didn't anticipate this, and ran out of stock, and ran out of stock after 5 months, at which point sales of that model decreased.
Next month, we're going to start selling a new espresso machine model. It will be the 10 amp version of the DE1XL. It's 40% more powerful, and so steaming is faster and higher pressure (around 3.5 bar vs 2 bar), resulting in finer milk microfoam. Professionals visiting our office who try it have said that the steam feels "normal" to them, like a pro La Marzocco or Simonelli machine, though they're happy with the microfoam quality.

We're in the process of receiving parts to build 2000 machines of our v1.42 model, which we plan to build over the next 9 months. As we've made 2400 machines in our entire history, that will bring us to 4400 total Decent machines out in the world, which is a fairly reasonable number. It also means we won't be out of stock for a while, since this is a much larger run than our v1.40 run of 750 machines, which we built and sold out in 3.5 months.

In September, we'll start building 2000 machines of the v1.43 model, which will be virtually identical to our current v1.42 model. Hopefully we can keep our production up with demand, and not run out of stock again.

-john

Sponsor

#222: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Decent Zoom call scheduled: Picking the right recipe for your bean

to join the Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81115386914?p ... hlREJ3dz09

Meeting ID: 811 1538 6914, Passcode: 51

As always, the zoom call will be video recorded and made available on youtube later.

Time: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ ... 179&p4=152

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture
rrosini

#223: Post by rrosini »

Hi John,

I'm in the queue for the v1.4 DE1 PRO 110v. Is the XL steam upgrade you mentioned considered v1.42? Also, where did v1.41 go?

Seems like we need a versioning summary page to keep track of all of this goodness that is happening.

Sponsor

#224: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

rrosini wrote:I'm in the queue for the v1.4 DE1 PRO 110v. Is the XL steam upgrade you mentioned considered v1.42? Also, where did v1.41 go?
Seems like we need a versioning summary page to keep track of all of this goodness that is happening.
All these v1.4x versions are the same except for small internal changes, like this, that have no effect on functionality:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CIh4mSXB_eS/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CImeijdhxZ3/

v1.41 was our number of "built on a v1.1 chassis, but is otherwise a v1.4 machine" and those have all been made and sold. The difference between v1.40 and v1.41 was (I kid you not) a 3mm movement in the position of the hole for water intake, with the v1.41 being slightly more splashy, as it was closer to the water tank edge, if plugged into a high pressure RO water system.

We do number each version, so that we can track them correctly. The v1.41 machine has a slightly different leg assembly, should we ever need to send you a replacement, given that 3mm hole position difference. Oh, and v1.41 has a slightly different front USB port position too. Those were the only two differences in v1.41.

The new model will be called the DE1XXL and will be available in February. It's 230V/10A only and a bit more expensive than the other models as it's higher performing: https://decentespresso.com/c?filter=de1xxl

rrosini

#225: Post by rrosini »

John,

Thank you, for taking the time to explain that. I know you're very busy.

I now understand the versioning and what you wrote makes total sense.

Take good care

Sponsor

#226: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

R&D fluid dynamic simulation of next-gen mixing chamber

Here is a look into our long-term R&D process. We've given Ben and Ray a full year (up to 2 years) to work on difficult problems before needing to ship anything new. Our current v1.4 models don't have any major negatives, so instead of tinkering, we want to work on more substantive things.

Ben is working on a new hot water mixing system, planned for release in 2022. It will not introduce any new features to the DE1, but it does condense 3 separate parts in our current model, into one. It also removes 8 water tubes, and one of two quite expensive medical-grade flow constrictors.

This video is a fluid dynamic simulation of hot and cold water mixing. Ben is trying to understand how well the water is mixing. Turbulence, eddies, and other complicated physical aspects of moving liquids can cause water mixing to be less even, which would then affect our temperature stability.

Ben's fluid dynamic simulations of water flow onto the coffee puck, 5 years ago, led to a radically different design of how the Decent places water onto a dry puck. We believe it's the main reason why it's so difficult to intentionally cause channeling on the Decent, yet so easy to have that problem on other machines.

This sort of computerized modelling so much cheaper and faster than physical modelling, which will be done as a later step, once the computer thinks we've got something that might work well. Then we'll test it in the real world, in an infrared camera, to see how closely the models match reality, and what improvements still need to be made.

-john

JM71

#227: Post by JM71 »

decent_espresso wrote:The new model will be called the DE1XXL and will be available in February. It's 230V/10A only and a bit more expensive than the other models as it's higher performing: https://decentespresso.com/c?filter=de1xxl
John, will there be a version 1.42 of the 110V machines? If so, what will the differences be between that and the current 110V version 1.4?

Thanks

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
GDK

#228: Post by GDK »

decent_espresso wrote:The new model will be called the DE1XXL and will be available in February. It's 230V/10A only and a bit more expensive than the other models as it's higher performing: https://decentespresso.com/c?filter=de1xxl
Hi John, is there a problem with pushing the DE1 in NA to 15A as opposed to 10A? I believe the 110V La Spaziale S1 and may be others can do 15A max (on a recommended 20A circuit) with flick of an internal switch. Is it because the La Spaz is fully certified commercial machine and that allows for higher consumption?

canuck10

#229: Post by canuck10 » replying to GDK »

I'm sure John will clarify but I think you have it backwards. It's not a matter of how many amps you push to the machine but rather how many amps the machine will draw. If the DE1 is a 10 amp machine and you are on a 15 or 20 amp circuit then you are great, the DE1 will only draw 10 amps (or whatever it is rated for).

By the way, new member here. I didn't see any place to introduce myself so I guess this is it. And I was attracted to this thread because I plan to buy a Decent. I currently have a Rancilio Silvia paired with a Rocky (for the last 15 years or so). I will upgrade the grinder as well.

GDK

#230: Post by GDK »

I am talking about a 10A limit which John mentioned elsewhere, a limit that the machine cannot exceed. This is one of the reasons the machine cannot steam and brew at the same time. If limit was higher, then they can put in a more powerful steamer and/or allow for simultaneous operation.