Decent Espresso news - Page 174

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
dockoelboto

#1731: Post by dockoelboto »

Midway wrote:That was an assumption I deleted in my reply.
I was thankful to find a guy fairly close to me to show me a de1. Really cool machine! Definitely want to purchase the Bengle once released

decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#1732: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Midway wrote:Have you asked Decent if you can visit the Seattle Office for a Demo? I don't know if that is offered but some of the other Espresso Manufactures with US HQ's in Seattle will. Decent doesn't make it easy to find the Seattle address.
Can I ask you and others a question on this topic...

Where in the world would you be happiest if there were one Decent Espresso shop in the world?

I ask, because we're thinking of setting one up in Soho, London.

London is a cheap place to fly to from much of the world, and pretty much everyone is happy being a tourist there. No Visa issues, no "weird food" :D and most people's partner's who are "not as into coffee as you are" would be happy to spend a few days there while you geek out.

We're looking at place where we'd have a dozen DE1 customer-facing, non stop training (just drop in, trainers always available) and a concept of "make your own coffee drink", sort of like "self checkout" but with an espresso machine. The public could come in, be shown how to make an espresso drink, and therefore get it at half price (£1 espresso drinks, £2 milky espresso drinks). Once trained, they can simply pop in whenever to tap-in-to-pay to make a drink and run. Given how self-checkout has transformed grocery stores, it seems like a good idea for cafes too, if health & safety will let us do it.

Yes, we could do it in New York, but Visas to the USA can be a pain for people visiting from some many countries, it's farther to fly for our EU and Asia customers, and generally I find Americans less excited to visit NYC than in visiting London.

HH

#1733: Post by HH »

decent_espresso wrote:Can I ask you and others a question on this topic...

Where in the world would you be happiest if there were one Decent Espresso shop in the world?
Oh wow this sounds great John! The idea of somewhere to come and play with a DE1/Bengle I imagine would be very appealing to prospective owners. As someone who already owns a DE1, the thought of coming in for training/discussions with other coffee nerds is very exciting. I also like the idea of specific training on new profiles and features, such as Filter 3.

I love the suggestion of Soho or some other London-based location. Seven dials over by Holborn/Covent Garden would be a nice spot too. It's close to Monmouth Coffee Roasters, and not too far from Leather Lane (which may be on a lot of coffee enthusiasts' radars due to Prufrock being located there). It would also have a lot of footfall being close to Covent Garden. The downsides would be the tube station as you know is incredibly busy, and rent may be prohibitive given the location.

I'm excited to hear where you end up!

bznelson91
Supporter ♡

#1734: Post by bznelson91 »

I'd totally head to London for this! And I'm already a DE1PRO owner, so I'd be loving that training.

Brad

Indica

#1735: Post by Indica »

Is there a Decent owner who lives in my country, India? I'm curious to learn about ownership and (if relevant) support experience from an India perspective.

Edit (few days later) - never mind, I found 3 on a discord group

Sponsor

#1736: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) replying to Indica »

Oh, ok, good! I was going to suggest you contact Pulak in Delhi https://pulakb.com/ but it might be that you're already chatting with him on Discord.

Sponsor

#1737: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

For the past ten months, we've been working on building a Decent Cafe in Hong Kong, adjacent to our workshop where we build our machines. Why are doing this?
  • first and foremost, I have to admit that we don't do a good job presenting what we make, in the best possible light. Our product photos have been simple "light box", and we haven't shown you "real use" photos. Wiedemann, who we partnered with to make fine-wood tampers, made far superior photos of the same object than we did. We need to improve our presentation skills, in every area.
  • Visitors coming to try our machines, are shown on our staff machines, conveniently located next to the toilets. :-O
  • We want to start offering in person training here and an annual conference.
  • We'd like to have "drop in on our cafe" regular Youtube Live sessions, where you can "ask us anything".
  • And lastly... I wanted to properly design a very attractive cafe, figure out how to get the furniture built, get it installed, tear out the old stuff, what all this costs, and then make all that information available for free to you. If we can help you make a beautiful cafe with our products, everyone wins.
  • if you've ever dreamt of making a cafe, or just need help refitting your place to look 'Decent', then we'll provide everything you need to make it happen. You'll deal directly with the same furniture maker we did, and can use all our designs, all at no cost. Or use any of their other designs.
In the photos collage above, the top two photos are of a real cafe that our designer built, which we're basing our cafe on. They do both the design, and custom furniture manufacturing. The other 4 photos are renders of the design they have prepared for us, after about 6 months of back and forth.

So far, I know that our furniture is going to cost about USD$30,000 to make. Preparing the site (removing walls, the false ceiling, cleaning everything up that was hidden, redoing the flooring) will likely be around USD$10,000. Installation... don't know yet.

I'll be posting more information about this project in a few months. We're supposed to get the furniture in May, and I hope to have it all installed by July. I'll also make the introduction to anyone who is interested, to them. You will be welcome to completely copy what we've done, or choose your own designs.

Sponsor

#1738: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Our cafe design & fitout partner is called "Focus" and I really, really like their work. Here are samples of other cafes they've designed. DM me if anything here tempts.

ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#1739: Post by ShotClock »

John - I think that the "self-service cafe" is a fascinating concept, and would certainly drop in next time I'm in London. I have a few questions though, maybe you will indulge me:

- Is this primarily a venue for pre-sales, or for selling coffee? The former seems to have a fairly limited constituency, while the latter might balk at being asked to do anything themselves.
- It seems to me that most cafes have two categories of customer - infrequent or one-off walk-ins (many more of these in shopping heavy districts like Soho and Covent Garden); and repeat customers who want to be in and out quickly (more of these in commerce heavy areas such as the City, Holborn, Bloomsbury etc.). It seems that the first category here will be much harder to target than the second.
- Would you use commercial grinders that are faster and require little by way of distribution, or single dosing domestic grinders? The first of these seems to be much better for selling coffee, and the second much better for pre-sales.
- What happens if I pay, and then blow a shot? Do I get as many tries as I need for free?
- What happens if I burn myself? The auto steam-purge is particularly tricky for those who are only partly familiar with the machine.
- Perhaps most importantly - how do you avoid a "tragedy of the commons" effect? With so many users and a "not my machine" mentality, will there be a culture of wiping, flushing, purging and cleaning up after yourself? Will the staff have to enforce this culture? Will the staff have to clean up the machines after (almost) every shot?

Indica

#1740: Post by Indica »

decent_espresso wrote:Oh, ok, good! I was going to suggest you contact Pulak in Delhi https://pulakb.com/ but it might be that you're already chatting with him on Discord.
Thanks.

Hopefully I'll be getting a live look at a machine very soon. I'm really looking forward to seeing it.