Decent Espresso news - Page 167

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#1661: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Jonk wrote:Is there a good reason you didn't make the cups spherical? As in the classical design both for cupping and (well, sort of) latte.
Does not stack as well.

jpender

#1662: Post by jpender »

Of course it's subjective but to me those cups are ugly. Just my opinion.

Sponsor

#1663: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Video: Allongé with Switzerland's Kaffeemacher

Kaffeemacher's Benjamin and I discuss why the Rao Allongé is my goto brewing approach for light roasted beans. This conversation is in English, with German subtitles.

kitos285

#1664: Post by kitos285 »

Any roadmaps for future machine updates such as 1.46?

Will be hoping to purchase a decent within the next 12 months. What's the estimate price of the Bengle?

Sponsor

#1665: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) replying to kitos285 »

V1.46 has an eta of August 2024. The only change is a black front panel and black resin handles. You'll be able to get both as customizations in February to a v.1.45. There are no other changes. V1.4x machines have been basically unchanged for several years now, with new features coming to all decent owners via firmware and app updates, which are on a twice yearly schedule.

Bengle is planned to sell at $6000, with a loose ship date of April but no firm date yet announced as we're still in r&d with the new pump driving approach.

Both Bengle and the de1 will use the same app and firmware and there are no plans for divergence. I'm very committed to honoring the trust early buyers made in us and keeping them up to date.

Sponsor

#1666: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Make delicious ice cream fast with an espresso steam wand - learn how

Make a perfect ice cream base by heating/aerating/mixing it with the steam wand of your espresso machine. It's the perfect tool for the job. You'll get a foolproof, smooth, and silky texture with little effort. This steam wand technique is so much easier than using the bain-marie or double-boiler approach, and way less risky than direct heating. In this video, we show you how to make the best espresso coffee ice cream you've ever eaten.

Coffee ice cream recipe
A - Mix in a blender:
- 3 large eggs
- 100g sugar
- 250g heavy cream
- 250g full fat milk
- 200g espresso shots (6 shots)

B - Blend it
C - First heat it to 70ºC with the steam wand, sit for 30s
D - Then steam wand heat to 82ºC
E - Let it cool down, then refrigerate it.
F - The next day, blend it again, pour the cold mixture into an ice cream machine, serve immediately.

kitos285

#1667: Post by kitos285 »

Amazing stuff - thank you. Will hopefully get a decent in the new year.

Will be interested to see how the bengle turns out. The pumps have me interested!

Sponsor

#1668: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

kitos285 wrote:Will be interested to see how the bengle turns out. The pumps have me interested!
I'll be posting info here as we learn more about what's possible.

Sponsor

#1669: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Wiedemann fine woods, for our tamper and DE1

In partnership with Wiedemann (the Germany-based masters of espresso wood) we present the Wiedecent Tamper in several beautiful wood handles.

They're available now from our Decent Tamper page https://decentespresso.com/tamper

We've also shared our handle design with them, and from their website they're offering Decent-style handles (both portafilter and group head) in four different woods.

We spent a week with Wiedemann's staff a few months ago, because they invited us to share their trade show stand at the Frankfurt Coffee Fest. Their woodworking is really tops, they're good people, and we're working with them on several other ideas.
★ Helpful

Sponsor

#1670: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

What's new at Decent? And real recommendations?

Sometimes people visit our website to see what's new, if we have anything on sale, if we've made any new products.

I'm trying to make that easier now, with a "what's new" page listing new products, but only the ones that are actually interesting (leaving out spare parts for the DE1, or variations on the same product, for instance). There's a set of buttons on the homepage:

which yields this page:

On another topic, the "we recommend...." on the bottom of each accessory page was literally "what John recommends" and not based on any data. I've programmed it to be an actual recommendation, based on what you're currently looking at.

For instance, people who buy a gasket from us, tend to also buy:

whereas people buying a tamper, tend to buy:

The recommendations are made by looking at the 1000 most recent purchase of the items on that webpage, and summing up what other items were ordered by those people at the same time. The idea being that items grouped together in single orders likely have a relationship stronger than items bought at very different times.

And finally, someone asked me if we had a "flight bag" for our DE1. We do, but he couldn't find it, as my search feature only looked at the one line description and title, not all the body text for each product. I've improved that too now, for example:

It's all small stuff, but cumulatively, hopefully providing a better experience.