Decent Espresso news - Page 159

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
ira
Team HB

#1581: Post by ira »

Did everyone get Lemon cakes?

NetLawMan

#1582: Post by NetLawMan »

Just ordered my DE1. Thanks all

decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#1583: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Video: making V60 pour-overs with a Decent

Paul and I have made a video showing how to use the Decent Shower Basket https://decentespresso.com/c?s=242+1 to make an automated V60 pour over coffee.

Here's a 60 second short version that hits the main points:
Nowadays, there are two ways to make filter coffee on the Decent. You can make a V60 as this video explains, or you can make a stronger coffee with Scott Rao's Filter 2.0 method https://www.scottrao.com/blog/2021/9/28 ... ffee-shots and then dilute it. We're hoping to have finished the R&D on "Filter3" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQpHnXKQNq0 which is similar to the technique of Filter 2.0, in that it uses a basket and a special DE1 profile, but different in that you can immediately drink the filter3 result: no dilution is necessary.

Here's the complete video:

Sponsor

#1584: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Progress on the Decent soft bag. It'll protect the suitcase if you're posting your espresso machine somewhere, and don't have (or don't want to use) the cardboard box it came in.

Above is our photoshop mockup with our logo added. We've received a custom made sample that we like (w/o the logo) and will get 1 more sample, with the logo.

We'll offer these bags inexpensively for sale, both for regular use, and also if you need to send your DE1 to us but discarded your cardboard box.

Sponsor

#1585: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

This video gives a quick overview of all the baskets we make, with advice on when to use which basket, for what drink and style you're aiming for.

Over the past 8 years, we've come out with a lot of different portafilter baskets:
1 - standard espresso baskets from 7g to 24g
2 - "extra body" waisted baskets from 12g to 14g
3 - a shower basket for making V60 pour overs
4 - two puck simulator baskets

And over the past few months, we've also released detailed videos on each type of basket.

You'll find all those videos on the top of our basket webpage
https://decentespresso.com/basket

butlrr

#1586: Post by butlrr »

decent_espresso wrote: Nowadays, there are two ways to make filter coffee on the Decent. You can make a V60 as this video explains, or you can make a stronger coffee with Scott Rao's Filter 2.0 method video which is similar to the technique of Filter 2.0, in that it uses a basket and a special DE1 profile, but different in that you can immediately drink the filter3 result: no dilution is necessary.
Hi John,

Any estimate on when the filter 3.0 basket will be available for purchase? Thanks!

NetLawMan

#1587: Post by NetLawMan »

After lurking here for sometime, I ordered and received my DE1XL. It's early, but I am pretty happy so far. Build quality is very nice. It is much quieter and faster than my Breville Oracle Touch. I am keeping it simple and working with a single profile and bean. The tablet "photo frame" screen saver is a great touch, and the tablet itself has been responsive. I recognize it takes a while to adapt to anything new (some people equate something being familiar with something being intuitive, but they are not the same). I am getting familiar with the DE1, but I am not fully there yet.

I do wish I ordered wooden handles vs the resin (as I have been informed that the resin purple is an unacceptable addition to our kitchen :( ). I also wish I ordered a 15g basket, but coming from the Breville that uses 22g, it wrongly seemed to me to be too small at the time. I am using the Decent scale, which works great but I wish it was shorter because my cups don't fit, so I have to pull then transfer to my cups (and I know the half decent is coming :) ).

I am glad I took the plunge and I will continue to use and hopefully grow with it.

TallDan

#1588: Post by TallDan »

You might consider the sworksdesign scale drip tray cover. I finally ordered one this week after using a 3D printed version for a few years. Gives you much more room on the scale.

https://sworksdesign.com/Drip-Tray-Cove ... p322294183

NetLawMan

#1589: Post by NetLawMan replying to TallDan »

That's a great idea. Now I am going back and forth about what is best. That, or wait for the half decent! To many choices!!!

HH

#1590: Post by HH »

NetLawMan wrote:That's a great idea. Now I am going back and forth about what is best. That, or wait for the half decent! To many choices!!!
Congratulations on your lovely new machine!

John previously advised the half decent scale should be available in a month or two. I think the Decent Scale is a great addition in terms of functionality of the machine, but I am also looking forward to the half decent scale becoming available. John has also advised they are working on a counter-sunk drip tray to work with it, which sounds awesome.