Decent Espresso news - Page 144

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#1431: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Silentsim wrote: I understand some of the justification for higher prices in certain markets was due to shipping costs (Canada etc). Will these changes result in less of an additional markup over the foreign exchange? It's still significantly higher to buy DE in Canada
The higher DE1 price in non-USD is caused by two things:
  • we fix the exchange rate when that DE1 machine model launches and don't change the price until the next model launches, and then it uses the new exchange rate at that time. We have a new model coming in about 2 months (v1.45) which is the v1.44 model + the new group head parts. It'll be USD$100 more expensive (or you can upgrade your v1.44 for $99 to the same thing) but the C$ rate will be rebased at that time. We do this so that the C$ price for our DE1 doesn't change day-by-day, which is what would happen if it floated, and that would cause different frustrations.
  • we charge 15% more for C$, because provide both a 2 year warranty, and fixed price forever-extensions https://decentespresso.com/warranty and that *significantly* this covers all roundtrip shipping and new customs fees. Shipping to Canada costs us USD$339 vs $155 to the USA, and we suck that up. We can't afford to charge the USD price in Canada, since shipping/duty/taxes are significantly more expensive (2.18x more). Some Canadians choose to deliver their DE1 to a US address and go pick it up there. That's fine by us, as long as you understand that any repair roundtrip will need to be to/from a US address, as well as any parts we send to you under warranty.

Sponsor

#1432: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

CincyWes wrote:Is the new diffuser still on track for June or has it been delayed?
Thank you
Still on track.

The parts have arrived and are in stock.

We're doing the final edits now on several videos (all about the part, installing, and cleaning). This'll also kick off the 'goodie pack' redemption for people who bought our extended warranty when that promotion was available.

It's not public yet, but a 15 minute video explaining the new parts, and why they'll make better coffee, is now on YT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jA7Q0-Japc

mikelipino

#1433: Post by mikelipino »

John, amazing stuff and really can't wait until this become available. When you say in stock, do you mean internally or available for purchase? I just searched the Decent store and can't seem to find it using "group" or "PPS".

Is there any desire to make group parts to the same dimensions as the current brass set? In the video you mention that the group parts are now to E61 standard to reduce headspace. I may be in the minority, but I much prefer the increased clarity promised by the higher headspace, am willing to sacrifice body, and I don't really pay attention to things like wet pucks (these should go in the knockbox, right? I've been spending little time admiring them). If not I'll pull the trigger on the PPS parts asap to compare, but would be willing to wait if high headspace PPS group parts will become available in the future.

CincyWes

#1434: Post by CincyWes »

Thank you as well John, Note you've been talking about this a long time. In my opinion, there is no need for any more videos except for those that are new. Let me know when they are posted for sale.

Sponsor

#1435: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

mikelipino wrote:John, amazing stuff and really can't wait until this become available. When you say in stock, do you mean internally or available for purchase? I just searched the Decent store and can't seem to find it using "group" or "PPS".
It's not yet for sale, because I want to have the videos ready for buyers, explaining to them how to install it. Almost there! Plus people who have the goodie pack to redeem, will want to use that, and that has to be ready too. Sorry... lots of stuff has to line up.
mikelipino wrote:Is there any desire to make group parts to the same dimensions as the current brass set? In the video you mention that the group parts are now to E61 standard to reduce headspace. I may be in the minority, but I much prefer the increased clarity promised by the higher headspace, am willing to sacrifice body, and I don't really pay attention to things like wet pucks (these should go in the knockbox, right? I've been spending little time admiring them). If not I'll pull the trigger on the PPS parts asap to compare, but would be willing to wait if high headspace PPS group parts will become available in the future.
No intentions, no, and that's because you can easily increase headroom by moving to a larger basket. But it's quite hard to decrease headroom. I also quite like headroom, as it gives me a great bloom, and so I use a 18g basket for a 15g coffee dose.
CincyWes wrote:Thank you as well John, Note you've been talking about this a long time. In my opinion, there is no need for any more videos except for those that are new. Let me know when they are posted for sale.
That video I linked to was brand new, released yesterday (it's now visible on our homepage). The official announcement will be in a few days.

NetLawMan

#1436: Post by NetLawMan »

A little confused. Question: I am looking to buy the decent (color) with the new parts. When will that be an option? Thanks!

Sponsor

#1437: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) replying to NetLawMan »

Soon, maybe a week or two, and it'll be the v1.44 machine, with an option to have the v2 group head part in it, if you want it.

There are videos to accompany each color that we're finalizing. This set of new colors will be a quite limited offer, with 4 colors of each model available (32 machines total). We'll be looking to see which colors sell the fastest, to decide which (if any) we re-order. I'll have more info soon.

You can see the 4 different colors in some of our recent videos. I've got a video dedicated to all the colors, that's being edited.

Sponsor

#1438: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Make better coffee with Decent's new and improved group head parts

These upgraded group head parts are available to all DE1 owners, and it's a simple self-install. We provide everything you need (screws and screwdrivers, too).

You can order them at https://decentespresso.com/accessories or if you have a goodie pack to redeem (you bought an extended warranty during the initial promotional period) you can now choose what parts you want in your goodie pack: https://decentespresso.com/goodiepack

Here is a video showing how you will replace the parts on your DE1:
v1.0 customers will need to wait a few months to receive this part, as theirs is a different shape and has to be custom made. The reason for the delay is that we only built 280 v1.0 DE1 machines. It didn't make sense for us to pay thousands of dollars to make a plastic casting mould. Instead, we're going to CNC (computer controlled milling) exactly the number of parts that get ordered over the next few weeks. It'll cost us close to $100 to make each set, we won't make money on those, but we really don't want to make too many and be stuck with parts nobody wants. Also note that upgrading your v1.0 DE1 to this part will get you exactly the same headspace above the puck, as all later models now have.

Here's an intro paragraph about these parts, summarizing the video:

--
No matter which DE1 you own, you can replace the old parts in your machine's group head with our new and improved set of parts. They're easily screwed into the underside of the group head, and they control how water comes onto the coffee puck.

The benefits of using our new part set:
  • Improved water distribution: They're redesigned to distribute water where it's needed most, which increases the overall extraction and improves the coffee taste.
  • More-accurate puck temperature measuring: This allows the brew to get up to temperature sooner in the shot, and avoids overheating the puck.
  • Oil resistant: The new materials resist coffee oils - so no stale coffee flavors like you get from metal parts that collect old coffee oils.
  • Reduced channeling: Less headspace above the coffee puck reduces channeling and increases mouthfeel and shot consistency.
  • Temperature accuracy: Faster and more accurate temperature profiling.
  • Less cleaning: the parts are oil resistant, so you rarely need to remove and clean them.
  • No more stripped screw heads: If you do need to remove the parts, we switched to Torx screws to reduce stripping.
  • No metal interactions between brass and stainless steel.

markpermann

#1439: Post by markpermann »

I just watched John's video about the new parts. He goes into great detail about their development and what makes them better. I am impressed by such specificity and am quite sure my next espresso machine (hopefully this year) will be a Decent. Not because it is perfect, or the best, but because of how very, very good it is + the commitment and transparency of its team.

Reed10

#1440: Post by Reed10 »

Hello John,
Could you please explain what do you mean by the structurual rigidity needed for the brass part(s) that remains ?
Doesn't it take from all your time and efforts to eliminate some genuine issues (oils sticking, brass changing texture, longevity...) , Just to have some parts left that would still suffer from them , and thus require the same routing to clean as before ?

If I follow you're description correctly, you have teflon all the way to the group head (no calcium residue sticking), and then you now have the pps in the group head. But you still keep brass in between ?

Thanks in advance for your clarification :)