Decent Espresso news - Page 126

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#1251: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

mipe wrote:Also do you have any plans to release your app on iOS platform?
Here is a unedited video (long answer) to that question:
hTTps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il3iYpL8bVI&t=3203s

That will get get released as its own video (with louder sound) soon.

Warning: I have rather strong negative opinions about the walled-garden approach of the two app stores, and have no intention of ever being on either of them. Since Android allows side-loading, we can do what we want. If the EU forces Apple to allow side-loading of apps, then yes, we'd release an ios app.

That being said, in 2023 we should be able to release the de1app fully for MacOS/Linux/windows AND also the WebApp version,which works very well on an iPad.

Here is a video of my demonstrating that:

mipe

#1252: Post by mipe »

Thanks, for Your answer. Very interesting approach with the application.

Advertisement
jeshikat

#1253: Post by jeshikat »

decent_espresso wrote: c) we'll have a swap fleet in select markets (likely: USA, Germany, HK and Korea at first)
d) we'll offer an annual commercial service contract with access to the swap fleet at that point
Sounds like a good middle ground between having a dealer network and having to ship back to HK. Thanks for that info! :)

Chert

#1254: Post by Chert »

@John Buckman

Did the new firmware and app change how DE-1 handles the catering kit? If so, can you describe the change?

On another forum you directed me to a settings screen so the machine will recognize my kit. Before it was just plug and play or so I thought. So I would like to understand better.

Thank you.
LMWDP #198

markpermann

#1255: Post by markpermann »

Hi John, the reduced headspaced planned for 1.44 was associated with the grouphead parts that will now be in 1.45 / available as a retrofit for 1.44 and earlier, yes?

Separately, how's Suitcase V2 coming?

Sponsor

#1256: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

markpermann wrote:Hi John, the reduced headspaced planned for 1.44 was associated with the grouphead parts that will now be in 1.45 / available as a retrofit for 1.44 and earlier, yes?
Yes, exactly. I think that the $99 retrofit will be available in June.

We yesterday heard that the 2nd attempt at moulding our parts was complete and the samples are on their way to us. We initially had trouble getting them to fall off the mould, and then we had problems with screw hole sizes being wrong. We'll now be testing these, and if they're ok, we'll give the OK to mass produce. But there could (it's likely) still be more issues to resolve. Moulding isn't easy.

Sponsor

#1257: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

markpermann wrote:Separately, how's Suitcase V2 coming?
Good progress there. We're unifying the XL and PRO foam designs, so we only have one set of foam.

We've gone to much more expensive, sturdier material, which allows us to have thinner walls, which in turn has given us space to fit all the common accessories (tamper, milk jug, thermometer, scale, WDT tool) in the suitcase as well. What we received a few weeks ago, was our first attempt at the new design.

We weren't happy with the coarseness of the foam "bubbles" and saw some other issues (lid wouldn't close) and a few days ago we ordered a prototype to be made of our 2nd attempt.

Attached are photos of prototype 1, and the parts for prototype 2.

The suitcase design is done, but waiting for the foam design to be finished. We've found really heavy duty wheels that are removable, which greatly improves the cardboard box strength (no empty airspace inside, around the wheels)

Advertisement
Sponsor

#1258: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Chert wrote:Did the new firmware and app change how DE-1 handles the catering kit? If so, can you describe the change?

On another forum you directed me to a settings screen so the machine will recognize my kit. Before it was just plug and play or so I thought. So I would like to understand better.
To answer that, it might help if I explain the history of "connecting to a water source" on the DE1:

- originally, you needed to manually refill. A de1app screen would stop you from making espresso and ask you to refill.
- then: the refill kits came out, and would turn on when that "please add water" page was displayed. Refill was automatic, but paused espresso making during refills

- then: that "please add water page" would not usually appear for refill kit owners, because the DE1 would send power to the back RJ45 plug, before the water was too low, so that the water level usually never got too low. But if it did, "please add water would appear". Note that the DE1 didn't actually know you had a refill kit, it just sent power to the back, in case you did.

- as of the new firmware: on power up the DE1 sends a blip of power to the back, to see if the refill kit is connected. If the power is "consumed" then we know it's there. We only can do that trick, though, on v1.1 or later machines, when we added the "electrician's clamp" to the AC PCB. For v1.1 and newer machines, the DE1 should behave the same as before, but this does require that you have the refill kit plugged in and turned on, when you turn the DE1 on. For v1.0 users, there's a new "force refill kit on" option in the 3rd 'calibration settings' page.

- in the future: now that the DE1 knows the refill kit is there, we can change the de1app and firmware to be smarter, and to display appropriate messages. For example, we can tell you to turn off your refill kit before you use the "prepare for travel" feature. :D

Papuru

#1259: Post by Papuru »

I'm looking at the price difference between the 1.43 and 1.44 of the XL model in GBP and I am seeing a 17% increase while the US version has only increased by 3%.

Why is that the case?

Sponsor

#1260: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) replying to Papuru »

Because Brexit (and other things) have greatly devalued the British pound.

Each de1 version has its currency conversion from the US dollar price set at the launch of that model and it doesn't change until the next de1 model.

While the v1.44 model is only $100 more expensive than v1.43, in the intervening year the pound has dropped in value by something like 14%. All our costs are in US dollars, so the de1 is now more expensive in pounds.

Unfortunately this is the case for virtually all imports to the Uk and is part of why there's high inflation there.

We do still have v1.43 models available at 220V that are priced at last year's gbp currency exchange rates, hence quite a good deal. I'd recommend those for you before they sell out.

-john