Decent Espresso news - Page 120

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
bringyoutomyhell

#1191: Post by bringyoutomyhell »

I like these explorations although I think there are very few kitchens where this shades could work. Personally I would like some dark green, grey, bronze, matte blue. So, desaturated and earthy, natural tones that could work with wood or neutral ambients and not be intrusive or need to be matched with unusual colors like these. But again, nice that some options are being explored

decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#1192: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

I get that colors are very much a personal taste, but we picked these 4 because they are very much appearing in current photos of kitchen designs. You might not like them, but I'm assuming that Kitchenaid and Smeg and others are selling in these colors, that people are buying.

At any rate, we'll be continuing to experiment with colors, in different styles.

I note, in passing, that IKEA's plastic bowls are sold in these colors. It's kind of uncanny, the color match with what we chose.

Sponsor

#1193: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Now available: Magnetic Portafilter Stand for Weber Workshops Coffee Grinders

Made for Weber Grinders (Key, EG1, etc...) we've made a short run of hand fitted magnets to our portafilter stands. These attach to the hidden magnet in Weber's current model grinders. https://decentespresso.com/portafilter_stand

bringyoutomyhell

#1194: Post by bringyoutomyhell »

decent_espresso wrote:I get that colors are very much a personal taste, but we picked these 4 because they are very much appearing in current photos of kitchen designs. You might not like them, but I'm assuming that Kitchenaid and Smeg and others are selling in these colors, that people are buying.

At any rate, we'll be continuing to experiment with colors, in different styles.
It's certainly true that there has been a comeback of vintage design and colors, and some brands are creating entire vintage looking product lines. My observation is that if I look at most kitchens of Decent customers on Instagram I see more "traditional/contemporary" design and color schemes. So, nothing against these colors by any means, but I think the typical Decent customers might want different shades. But of course I'm glad to be proven wrong, and it's great that you'll continue to experiment. I still love what Decent does and I hope I'll be a customer soon!

Sponsor

#1195: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) replying to bringyoutomyhell »

A very valid point. On the Diaspora forum, someone mentioned a color scheme name (I forget) that they as both trending, and more in keeping with Decent owner's tastes. We might try those next.

vietcrunk

#1196: Post by vietcrunk »

I'm liking the pink. Would love to buy that as a conversion kit!

Sponsor

#1197: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) replying to vietcrunk »

Yeah, the pink is the clear crowd favorite. 4 people (now 5, with you) have expressed a desire to buy it, in the past 24h since I posted that photo.

+1 for the blue, and no interest yet in the other two colors. EDIT: +1 each for yellow, and green.

One thing to notice is how close (or far) the real color is from the CMYK version of the Pantone color. The pink is--I think--the one where idea vs reality came closest.

mathof

#1198: Post by mathof »

My godson and his partner practically fetishise the 50s Scandinavian design that I grew up with and had happily forgotten. The wheel keeps turning.

Sponsor

#1199: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Real Colors

I asked my art-school graduate Harris to do a color corrected photo of the tablet stands, in the four colors, so we could see "what the colors really look like".

Here they are:

Though of course, those of you who know color theory are going to object! We're all looking at a RGB photo, which is emitting light, whereas in real life, these are reflecting (removing colors). And also, the pink color is matte whereas the other 3 are shiny, so their colors change quite a bit more depending on viewing angle.

We're building one DE1PRO and one DE1XXL of each of the four colors now, so we can photograph them.

And while we did receive 10 of each colors, we can't build that machine machines. Why? Because this our chassis supplier's first attempt at these delicate colors, there were a lot of little defects, mostly color-missing spots, and occasional air bubbles in the paint. I'm not yet clear on how many perfect machines we can build yet.

In a few days, Bugs and I fly back to Hong Kong. We've been away for 9 months, enjoying having missed the huuuge COVID wave that passed through as soon as we left!

And that means I'll also get back to making videos. We've had a pause since I left, and in October, I hope to show you our new "video studio" and to start having regular "open to all, drop-in sessions" on Youtube Live.

Sponsor

#1200: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Dressing the video studio

After a 9 month absence, I'm flying back to Hong Kong on tuesday. The big TODO on my list is to set up a permanent video studio. It'll be well lit, microphones set up, 3 SLR cameras on tripods, and a live video mixer.

Some big uses are planned for this:
- regular "open mic coffee time" (need a better name!) where Paul, myself and others, hang out on Youtube Live, and you can ask us anything. The goal is to help new Decent owners get over any issues they might be having in making nice coffee, as well as answering any questions any Decent-curious people might have.
- A short-video-based manual to the Decent and to making drinks with it.
- Easily make short videos on any topic we can think of.

We're intentionally making our studio out of inexpensive things you can buy from IKEA, and will be posting what we use.

The reason for this approach, is that dressing a studio is very much like dressing a cafe or home coffee nook. We want our experience to be useful to others. We'll be documenting the price and source of everything we use.

Obviously, the photo above is *far* from finished. I'll be posting regular updates here, showing our progress, and asking for advice.

The next step is to put printed front panels on the coffee carts, in order to cut down on the visual noise. We will likely IKEA frame some Decent related artwork, maybe hand drawn concept sketches.

-john