Decent Espresso news - Page 109

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
cibby
Supporter ♡

#1081: Post by cibby »

John

I think your idea for having 4 categories of the olive wood handles makes sense. Personally I'd like to see several photos of different handles in each category, on and off portafilters and alone and by the Decent. That's a lot of photos I know :) Just think it would help.

Are you only selling in pairs or will you offer pf handle only? I'd get a pair but since I have multiple Decent pf heads might want handles for those as well. Have you figured out a price point or timing yet? They look great by the way!

jnl82

#1082: Post by jnl82 »

Seriously thinking about buying decent now. Just wondering, prior to covid how much was the machine? Since then how much has the cost risen primarily due to COVID supply issues (not including increases due to improvements made with new versions)?

Wondering if I should pull the trigger before yet another unfortunate price increase coming up in October.

TIA.

Advertisement
jasongcasale

#1083: Post by jasongcasale »

Hi John,
Thanks for the updates.
I am good with what you have just wanted to see if it was worth waiting for 1.4.4
Apologies I must have must the updates regarding that.
I honestly do not need LM steam at all.
I appreciate everything you are doing and your kind replies..

I had some thoughts about the nylon distro blocks you are trying.
Why would you not use stainless steel solving the whole brass problem and easy clean up.
I personally like the blocks retaining heat, however it is probably hear nor there honestly.

decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#1084: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Abecker wrote:I don't think I saw anything, and I'm assuming the answer is yes, but if a new inner block comes out for 1.44, will that also be
compatible with 1.43 units?
The new inner blocks, made from (sort sort of) plastic, will be $99 for the set of two parts, and will work with all models back to v1.1 and newer. We might do a short onetime run of v1.0 parts too, to be decided later.
cibby wrote:John

I think your idea for having 4 categories of the olive wood handles makes sense. Personally I'd like to see several photos of different handles in each category, on and off portafilters and alone and by the Decent. That's a lot of photos I know :) Just think it would help.
I agree, that's what we're going to do.
cibby wrote:Are you only selling in pairs or will you offer pf handle only? I'd get a pair but since I have multiple Decent pf heads might want handles for those as well. Have you figured out a price point or timing yet? They look great by the way!
All handles will be singly available, even w/o a portafilter head, if you prefer.
jnl82 wrote:Just wondering, prior to covid how much was the machine? Since then how much has the cost risen primarily due to COVID supply issues (not including increases due to improvements made with new versions)? Wondering if I should pull the trigger before yet another unfortunate price increase coming up in October..
Well, prior to COVID was two years ago at least, quite a few versions ago (we do a new run every 9 months), so maybe $100 or a few hundred, depending on what model you were looking at (v1.3 v1.40, v1.41, v1.42, v1.43 now). I don't really recall, honestly.

But yes, between (1) inflation (2) covid and (3) our adding more to the machine, then "price goes up" has been a repeating theme with us, and other espresso machine companies too.

jasongcasale wrote:I had some thoughts about the nylon distro blocks you are trying.
Why would you not use stainless steel solving the whole brass problem and easy clean up.
I personally like the blocks retaining heat, however it is probably hear nor there honestly.
The problem with stainless is that:
1) you cannot easily make high precision parts from it, because CNC drills wear out quickly with it
2) and our water distribution is VERY high precision calibrated
3) so we need to use a softer metal
4) but also, we LIKE temperature profiling, and precise control over the water, and stainless will fight that (more heat inertia than brass)
5) and also, DE1 warmup time would suffer with stainless inner blocks
6) and temp measuring accuracy would suffer with stainless next to the thermometer.

HOWEVER, there is something to what you say, and next year we'll be changing the brass "top of the group head" from brass to stainless. However, there's no change in warmup time, because we were able to remove a lot of metal because stainless is stronger than brass.

The cast stainless is not as pretty as CNC brass, though.

I haven't talked about the move from brass to stainless, though, because it brings no user benefits. The weight, heatup and temp accuracy are the same, in the end. It does shave about $40 off our manufacturing price, though :D moving off very-expensive CNCed parts, and also it removes the need to test-test-test for lead all the time, which we have to do with brass.

Here are some photos of the stainless parts, and one side-by-side with brass.

Sponsor

#1085: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Prufrock London Decent Espresso Event

In May 2022, Decent Espresso held an event at Prufrock London. Six Decent owners came (five home owners, one cafe), bringing their setups, and making their favorite drink for others. John, in the basement, showed the DE1XXL model. Thanks to Head of Coffee, River, for his help & enthusiasm, and of course, many thanks to the Decent owners who came. As this was less crowded than the California event held a few weeks earlier, the conversations with owners were much deeper and fulfilling.

Here's a very short video of what it was like.

Abecker

#1086: Post by Abecker »

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I found this in the comments on YouTube. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdsAhyIFD3U) Is there any additional information regarding the REST API?

Sponsor

#1087: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Abecker wrote:Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I found this in the comments on YouTube. (video) Is there any additional information regarding the REST API?
It's been obsoleted by a new Websockets API, which works on all platforms, and converts your requests to bluetooth. It's about to go into beta, and I'll be porting my de1app to use it, so that the app can then be fully functional on all OSes (currently bluetooth only works for us on Android). There are some people writing apps in other languages that use it, already.

But, to learn more, you need to join the Decent Discord, which is limited to DE1 owners only. If you're a DE1 owner, here's the link: https://3.basecamp.com/3671212/buckets/ ... 4141407137

Advertisement
Abecker

#1088: Post by Abecker replying to decent_espresso »

Thanks! Not an owner yet but on the fence. Looking to be able to mess around writing my own iOS app for it.

Sponsor

#1089: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) replying to Abecker »

Note that we're moving toward having the de1app run as a webapp, and it works well in ios safari. We're quite close to getting this working, as you can see in the video below. This lets us not sacrifice any of the flexibility (skins, plugins, open source) that a native ios app would need to give up, but still makes us work on ios. There's also a native 'shim' webview app, that goes full screen on ios, and makes it feel like a local app, even though it's actually remote.

jasongcasale

#1090: Post by jasongcasale »

Wow way better reply than what I deserve thanks for the kind Photos.
The thermal properties of brass are way better if you measure a kilo of brass and a kilo of stainless steel.
No doubt, the lead in the brass presents issues and cleaning can be challenging.
I think it is cool the core of the group head is going stainless that is outstanding.
Whatever better dispersion block you come up with I am sure will be great.
Fantastic job, thanks for the amazing and kind reply, I am beyond grateful to you for your kindness always..