Decent Espresso news - Page 11

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
decent_espresso
Sponsor

#101: Post by decent_espresso »

White DE1XL models finally shipped

We're finally able to ship 21 of white DE1XL models yesterday and today. Parts shortages have delayed this model. Or to be more specific: we've been having trouble getting white powder coat painting done at the quality we require.

But happily we were able to ship 21 machines of the current 28 orders we have in the queue of this model.

Sadly, these machines are all we can ship for now, as we've left the company that was doing the white painting for us. We ordered these chassis back in April (!) and we've been failing a little bit more than half of them during our quality control checks. I think the problem is that this company lost its best employees during the COVID-induced factory shutdown.

New white chassis, from the company that now does our black powder coat, should arrive in late December. The quality of their black powder coat has been fantastic, so we're hoping to solve this supply problem with white parts, once and for all. The problem with white is that it shows all defects, so it's very difficult to do at a very high quality level.

Dan Counsell is one of the lucky few who got one of these models. He yesterday posted this video of his new DE1XL (he traded in his v1.1 DE1XL for the latest model) and his routine.
Note the monolith grinder, and the smoothly working integration with the Acaia scale thanks to Johanna Amélie Schander.

decent_espresso
Sponsor

#102: Post by decent_espresso »

There's something about Peter

Another Decent customer named Peter was inspired by "the other Peter" having offered the Decent HK staff a lovely meal https://www.instagram.com/p/CEtgColA0sO/ thanks to Peter and wanted to do the same.

So, last week we enjoyed the best "moon cakes" that money can buy, thanks to a generous gift from Peter Neelands Peter .

Actually, we had an assortment of different styles from different places, from traditional to ice-cream-moon-cake (best for Westerners like me). After the mooncakes last wednesday we left the staff go home early and enjoy their 4 day weekend holiday. The good weather held until monday, when it started raining again. Apparently, it usually rains during the "mid autumn festival" so we were lucky.

Thanks again to the two Peters for filling our bellies with joy, but more importantly, making us feel really lucky to have such customers and community around us.

-john

decent_espresso
Sponsor

#103: Post by decent_espresso »

Future Decent Zoom calls

I've been doing fewer Decent zoom calls since moving to Hong Kong two months ago, because:
- on weekends we've all been working, building machines. The factory has been noisy, and I also I have needed to focus on helping everyone build.
- I don't work/live at home any more
- And we've actually started taking weekends off.
- But I'd happily start doing them again, as long as I can schedule them for a weekday.

Here are two times I'm thinking of:
- 6pm Pacific USA time (9pm Eastern USA) (9am HK time)
and
- 7pm Melbourne time/9am Berlin time (4pm HK time)

Is Friday good for people? If not, what day is best? The only day I can't do is Monday, as that's the busiest day.

There's a Typhoon warning in HK today, so the office is dead quiet. We live in a hotel nearby, so we were able to walk to work, but public transportation is closed.

-john

sambuist

#104: Post by sambuist »

9am Berlin time

Tue-Thursday works better for me

sambuist

#105: Post by sambuist »

John,

i have a follow up question on the how the development of the acaia scale Bluetooth connection is moving along. in a previous post you said that a user had developed a work around and that y'all would be including this connection ability for all of the DE owner. can you elaborate on when that update might occur. maybe a simple 'how-to-set-up' video would go a long way also.

sam

decent_espresso
Sponsor

#106: Post by decent_espresso »

sambuist wrote:i have a follow up question on the how the development of the acaia scale Bluetooth connection is moving along. in a previous post you said that a user had developed a work around and that y'all would be including this connection ability for all of the DE owner. can you elaborate on when that update might occur. maybe a simple 'how-to-set-up' video would go a long way also.
Acaia scales are working well with the Decent tablet app. As far as setup, you go to settings->app->search and tap the Acaia bluetooth ID. It's really easy.

This recent customer video shows it working:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGHI8F1B1xH/

decent_espresso
Sponsor

#107: Post by decent_espresso »

Zoom call on Thursday: Inside the DE1

John Buckman is inviting you to a scheduled Decent/Zoom meeting.

Topic: Inside the DE1
- Oct 15 - 6:00 PM Pacific USA
- Oct 15 - 9:00 PM Eastern USA
- Oct 15 - 11:00 AM Melbourne Australia Time

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84943846243?p ... ZMcWdKdz09

Meeting ID: 849 4384 6243
Passcode: decent

decent_espresso
Sponsor

#108: Post by decent_espresso »

fcman

#109: Post by fcman »

Hey John, can you explain what has been changed for v1.41 when compared with v1.4? Will open v1.4 orders be updated to v1.41?

decent_espresso
Sponsor

#110: Post by decent_espresso » replying to fcman »

The v1.41 model was us using up a few dozen v1.1 metal chassis we had, but otherwise they were all v1.4 parts. We did the same with v1.3/v1.31 machines.

The only difference is the placement of the USB port.

We won't be making any more v1.41 machines, as we've now used up all the v1.1 chassis. The USB ports are all going to be where they are in the v1.3 photo below.

All new machines now are v1.40, and in January we'll start making v1.42 model machines. The only changes there will be internal ease-of-building changes, such as a few bigger cutaways to facilitate cable routing.

As the v1.4 model is now quite stable, we're going to be making it for about 15 months.