Decent Espresso Machine - Page 94

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#931: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

We've now reintegrated the changed mirror angle, shape and length from Joao's study into our CAD model.

Happily, this also gives us more space to mount the flush tube in, and still have it be out of sight.

We still need to figure out how the usb cable is going to come out the front panel and connect discreetly to the tablet to keep it charged. I don't really want to cut a notch out like this, as it's not a very elegant solution:

much better would be something like this, that we're trying to source this week:

bachampion
Sponsor

#932: Post by bachampion »

Could you put the USB into the group head cover?
Decent Espresso

Advertisement
patrickff

#933: Post by patrickff »

patrickff wrote:"Other" -> "Machine" (or "System"), "Machine" -> "About" <- explain a bit more?
Not important. My suggesting was just to change the tab titles around.
decent_espresso wrote:our first attempt at a "blade" that will fit into our portafilter funnel
Interesting. I use a small wooden skewer right now to redistribute the grounds.
decent_espresso wrote:We still need to figure out how the usb cable is going to come out the front panel and connect discreetly to the tablet to keep it charged
Looking at post #475: Wouldn't it make sense to have the charging cable "exit" at the same spot where the tablet mount ('bespoke stand") is hooked to the case? This way the cable wouldn't be visible, because it would be behind the tablet.
LMWDP #753

roastini

#934: Post by roastini »

patrickff wrote:Looking at post #475: Wouldn't it make sense to have the charging cable "exit" at the same spot where the tablet mount ('bespoke stand") is hooked to the case? This way the cable wouldn't be visible, because it would be behind the tablet.
If the bottom part of the stand were split, with a slot, I wonder if a cable could be threaded through that space, behind the stand?

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#935: Post by jwCrema »

patrickff wrote: Looking at post #475: Wouldn't it make sense to have the charging cable "exit" at the same spot where the tablet mount ('bespoke stand") is hooked to the case? This way the cable wouldn't be visible, because it would be behind the tablet.
+1 Exactly my thought.

Sponsor

#936: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

bachampion wrote:Could you put the USB into the group head cover?
Unfortunately not, because that space is going to get hot, and there's not much space between the cover and group head. We really don't want a usb cable sitting on the actual group head and slowly melting.
patrickff wrote:Looking at post #475: Wouldn't it make sense to have the charging cable "exit" at the same spot where the tablet mount ('bespoke stand") is hooked to the case? This way the cable wouldn't be visible, because it would be behind the tablet.
roastini wrote:If the bottom part of the stand were split, with a slot, I wonder if a cable could be threaded through that space, behind the stand?
We've gone back to using the Steelie stand, and not a bespoke stand, for the DE1 series. The bespoke stand will be for the Cafe version, where "glued down" is a good thing. For home use, moveable is better.

The top case slides off, like with a tower computer, so it isn't easy to put a cable through a hole there, and still be able to slide the case off. Also, I really want that top to be water tight, so that if you do (for instance) put wet cups on top of the DE1, any water drips won't make it into the inside. A usb cable hole in the top would invite water to get into the case.

As far as snaking the cable around the Steelie stand, we've tried that, but it looks like a cobra strangling its prey. It's not attractive, and it also ruins the mobility. USB cables are also a bit stiff, not floppy, and we've found that moving them around arbitrary curves doesn't look good.

The most attractive solution seems to be a very short cable (about 3") with two right angle micro-usb connectors, as close to the tablet's usb charge connector as possible.

I really like, in the current design, the fact that the tablet is only kept on the DE1 via a magnet, so that you can lift it up, pull the magnet off, and wipe the top clean. It also allows you to reposition the tablet anywhere, as well as to change the angle.

Also, a non-tethered tablet allows "flight mode", a not-yet-announced feature where you grab both sides of the tablet with your hands, like an airplane controller, and tilt the tablet up or down to control pressure or flow. It's a fun way to recreate a paddle controller, for no extra cost. I have the rudiments of this feature working, but I've put finalising it aside to get more important things done first. It'll appear in a future free tablet software upgrade for the DE1+.

r7

#937: Post by r7 »

Wow, if it were April 1st I would have thought you were joking:
allows "flight mode", an not-yet-announced feature where you grab both sides of the tablet with your hands, like an airplane controller, and tilt the tablet up or down to control pressure. It's a fun way to recreate a paddle controller, for no extra cost.
Still two more weeks to go before design lock. I can't help but wonder what other surprises may still be lurking!

Advertisement
Sponsor

#938: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

r7 wrote:Wow, if it were April 1st I would have thought you were joking: Still two more weeks to go before design lock. I can't help but wonder what other surprises may still be lurking!
Nope, actually had it working back in November!

However, "sensor noise" on the tablet's accelerometer made the control too jittery (it would trigger espresso on/off at 10th of a second intervals!). This is solvable with a bit of mathematics. But: it's better if I don't spend time on fun stuff like that at the moment.

Charlene

#939: Post by Charlene »

decent_espresso wrote:...
Totally OT: Got a Decent Espresso Goody Bag assortment delivered from Hong Kong the other day.

Lovin' that funnel and the portafilter cradle.

Was mildly concerned that I might have to change my grinder's portafilter cradle height but the funnel fits great and seats aligned with the filter basket inner wall just super. Very functional and cool design. The weight is great. Might look good in gold leaf.

Thumbs Up!

Sponsor

#940: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Charlene wrote:Lovin' that funnel and the portafilter cradle. Was mildly concerned that I might have to change my grinder's portafilter cradle height but the funnel fits great and seats aligned with the filter basket inner wall just super. Very functional and cool design. The weight is great. Might look good in gold leaf.
Oh good, I'm particularly happy you like the portafilter cradle, as I designed that for a problem I had (injury during tamping, and uneven tamping) but nobody was exactly screaming for a high end "tamping stand" either. :D

Also very pleased to hear the funnel sits well. It's very, very snugly fit to standard 58mm baskets, which you want in a funnel, but could have caused problems in the real world, where things vary more than the lab.