Decent Espresso Grinder Prototype

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
decent_espresso
Sponsor

#1: Post by decent_espresso »

This is an under-$300 home espresso grinder, with weighing-while-grinding capability (using a Brewista scale), that we're working to develop.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the approach we're taking, which is explained in the video. Our approach is a bit different from the one being taken by Baratza, Mazzer and Mahlkonig. Those companies all make fantastic grinders, and are highly respected companies. We're new and unknown, and have a different take on this.

My own experience is that a funnel is essential when you're weighing while grinding, or else you get spilled grounds, or you have to underdose. And so our approach to weighing-while-grinding is to hold the portafilter from below, in such a way that a funnel can be used to prevent that problem. So far, the grinders I've seen announced that can weigh while grinding all use a kind of "claw" to hold the portafilter:

)

which means a standard portafilter funnel cannot be used (though probably one could be designed to work with that kind of portafilter mount).

Let me know your thoughts...

UPDATE by moderator: Moved to Espresso Machines from Marketplace for historical reference.

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

I like your approach to offering simple solutions that other manufacturers have ignored. As you've said, you've got a tall challenge to face with the new Sette coming out from Baratza in terms of features/price. On your simpler grinder, does that discharge tube detach for easy cleaning? Burr size?

Of course since you're here on Home-Barista, you'll catch more fish by talking about how amazingly parallel your burrs are! :D
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

bronsht

#3: Post by bronsht »

John,
Regarding the larger grinder, what will the burr size be and will the grinder be a flat burr or a conical? Thank you so much.

decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#4: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

bronsht wrote:Regarding the larger grinder, what will the burr size be and will the grinder be a flat burr or a conical?
The larger grinder is conical burr, compatible with mazzer robur burrs, and if we decide to sell it, will cost around $1000. It's a solid grinder, but I'm undecided as to whether it competes well at this price with the established brands.

Sponsor

#5: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

TomC wrote:On your simpler grinder, does that discharge tube detach for easy cleaning? Burr size?
I have real world experience with this!

I managed to completely gum up this grinder when it arrived, by putting the portafilter directly under the spout and clogging the spout up because the grinds could not come out (I was experimenting).

I found that two screws holding the spout were all I needed to remove, then I cleaned the spout out. I saw that there is about a 1 cm distance between the grinder edge and the burrs (not too much grounds retention).

With my experimenting I had managed to clog the burrs themselves up with ground coffee, so I twisted the burrs off by hand, vacuumed the threads clean, screwed the burrs back on by hand, and everything was working again.

I always feel better about a product if things go wrong but then the solution is not painful. Ironically, that gives me greater confidence than if nothing went wrong at all. Does that make any sense? :D

I'll measure the burr size for you sometime, when I'm taking the thing apart again.

aecletec

#6: Post by aecletec »

Is a magnetically attached chute patented yet? :twisted:

Sponsor

#7: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

TomC wrote:Burr size?
Alex just talked to the manufacturer, and the burr size is 60mm
aecletec wrote:Is a magnetically attached chute patented yet? :twisted:
Cool idea!

aecletec

#8: Post by aecletec »

decent_espresso wrote:Cool idea!
Sorry, not my idea - I stole it from the Monolith grinders!

doublehelix

#9: Post by doublehelix »

decent_espresso wrote:This is an under-$300 home espresso grinder, with weighing-while-grinding capability (using a Brewista scale), that we're working to develop.

Let me know your thoughts...
Hmmmmmm...you guys may want to consider tackling a whole new approach to PF/basket loading/tamping since you are already offering an espresso machine: a grinder/PF/basket combo that obviates additional ministrations for HB-types after you hit the grinder button. Integration/synergy. Seems like the Sette-W may actually offer this advantage (minus tamping)?

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

John,

I'm not wild about the curved chute either. I would love to see an approach that causes less grind retention. And if you're going to use a chute, I wouldn't have it curve, which makes it hard to clean without removal via the retainer screws.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!