Custom Wood for your Espresso Machine - Page 162

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
Jroulo

#1611: Post by Jroulo »

Awesome work Dave! I love how they look on the machine. This has been something I have wanted to do for a long time now and it was totally worth it. Super impressed with the quality. You definitely have a talent.

cannonfodder (original poster)
Team HB

#1612: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Walnut parts. Portafilter and group head handles for a Decent espresso machine, 12-tube holder for some Lyn Weber bean cellars, a tamping station with tamper holders, and a Monolyth grinder cap.

Dave Stephens

Advertisement
JonF

#1613: Post by JonF »

cannonfodder wrote:Decent Espresso portafilter handle in Walnut.

Thanks! Fits perfectly and looks very nice.

Team HB

#1614: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Side inserts and control set in Walnut for a Profitec Pro 600

Dave Stephens

Team HB

#1615: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Had a request for some unfinished Cherry parts for an Olympia Creminia. The owner sent me the wood and is going to apply the finish himself.

Dave Stephens

Team HB

#1616: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Had another request for a naked handle. Olive wood for a Decent Espresso machine and no finish. The customer will be applying his own finish.

Dave Stephens

lancets

#1617: Post by lancets »

Hey everyone, when getting a custom portafilter handle, is it usually easy to remove the old handle from the portafilter? I am looking to buy a bottomless portafilter and immediately put a new handle on it, but every supplier says the handles are secured to the body with loctite and will likely break the threads on the body if removed.

I found this generic handle-less body, but I'd rather buy one that I know will fit my Lelit Mara X.

https://www.espressocare.com/products/i ... -body-only

Thanks!

P.S. First post after lurking for a few months!

Advertisement
kineylikes

#1618: Post by kineylikes »

Finally took the opportunity to snap a couple photos of my setup and the beautiful work Dave did earlier this year.

Due to a few issues, Dave was rad enough to retool some pieces, upon our discovery that WLL and/or Profitec had made some design changes. I was happy to wait and I think you can see the end result was worth it.

Second and third photos show the hot water and steam knobbery without the typical Profitec chrome plated insert. Due to the slimmer nature of the wood knobs, I tend to think they look better naked.

Team HB

#1619: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

lancets wrote: but every supplier says the handles are secured to the body with loctite and will likely break the threads on the body if removed.
They are on with Loctite, however Loctite breaks down at around 300F. Put the portafilter head over a gas burner on low and let it heat for a few moments. Once it is good and hot grab the portafilter head with a couple potholders and twist the handle. It will let go and unscrew.
Dave Stephens

lancets

#1620: Post by lancets »

You're a life saver! Is there any reason to buy the brand name portafilter over a generic one, other than fin size? I could buy this handleless one for $50, or the branded portafilter for $80. I guess the body may look a bit more polished in the branded version.