Craig Lyn Design Studio - Page 6

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
Craig Lyn
Sponsor

Postby Craig Lyn » Feb 10, 2019, 8:09 pm

Bret wrote:Yes, this issue has taken the blind tumbler and blind shaker out of my workflow completely. I actually ordered both not long before a new coating was announced to minimize the 'retention' of the shaker (but not the tumbler).

I've got each new in their boxes. I'd be interested in coated versions of each product. From your video, it seems that the coating works well on your shaker, which is very cool.

That's actually one of the very first Shakers ever made so it's not polished :wink:

The best technique that I've found is to give the Shaker or Tumbler a sharp rap on the counter after shaking or stirring, which usually knocks any grinds adhering to the side of the container down into the portafilter.

JonF

Postby JonF » Feb 11, 2019, 2:56 pm

Just chiming in to say how much fun I am having with my HG-1. As an engineer myself, I am just amazed at the quality of the machining! I consider it a bit of industrial art. And it grinds great, by the way. :wink: Now just waiting for your cellars to come back into stock!

Just a tip--if you are ever bored, try these out for feet sometime. They are just amazing on smooth countertops like granite. https://www.amazon.com/Isolate-Sorbothane-Vibration-Isolation-Circular/dp/B00X6SXHCG/

Ganymede

Postby Ganymede » Feb 11, 2019, 4:21 pm

Hi, Craig,

I hadn't found that video - thank you! I've practiced your shake-and-tap technique on today's shots, and I continually find that when I remove the cover, I've got a snowdrift of grinds on one side, and glacial clumps anchored to the centerpiece. Tapping the pf hard, as you do, settles the grinds hard and frequently in an uneven pattern, which translates into an uneven extraction on my machine (a GS3 AV, probably fairly close to yours). Do you find that the range of grind sizes you expect don't usually lead to such uneven results?

Any technical tips for improving evenness in the process would be greatly appreciated, but technique tends to vary per practitioner; is there anything you might say about operating principle, for instance, that might productively guide technique?

Thanks again. I'll keep an eye on the website for new stuff.

Ganymede

Postby Ganymede » Feb 11, 2019, 4:23 pm

Craig Lyn wrote:That's actually one of the very first Shakers ever made so it's not polished :wink:

The best technique that I've found is to give the Shaker or Tumbler a sharp rap on the counter after shaking or stirring, which usually knocks any grinds adhering to the side of the container down into the portafilter.

Oh. So the new shakers are surfaced differently in some way that minimizes sticking?

Craig Lyn
Sponsor

Postby Craig Lyn » replying to Ganymede » Feb 12, 2019, 10:58 am

Hi Canaan

The current ones are polished on the inside which does help with sticking. That being said, static imparted from the grinder, ambient humidity as well as a host of other factors really do influence the outcome.

In regards to your previous post, here's something you might try. I do 3 shakes up and down, and then two side to side holding the shaker vertically. Prior to taking the cap off, try to rap the entire shaker once on the counter before putting the shaker onto the portafilter. When you remove the plug, spin the stem to redistribute the grounds further.

kind regards,

Craig

Iowa_Boy

Postby Iowa_Boy » Feb 14, 2019, 1:00 am

Commercial Bean Cellars arrived today. Very pleased with the quality of them! My daughter is going to make a wood caddy using the design kindly provided. She will be doing this in her woodshop class. Excited to see how that turns out!
Next time there is a coupon will likely pick up some more!

deed

Postby deed » Feb 14, 2019, 1:25 pm

I am based in Canada. what is the situation if one was to wish to order a new HG-1?

Will ordering from you or LynWeber's site both be the same price overall? Or is there an advantage to ordering from one or the other?

Craig Lyn
Sponsor

Postby Craig Lyn » replying to deed » Feb 14, 2019, 1:36 pm

Hi Eddy,

It's the same grinder :D

The very original HG1 which is very near and dear to me, was designed by both myself and my friend Paul and it was sold under our original company before sales were moved into Lyn Weber. Moving onward, Craig Lyn Design Studio will be continuing to sell, support and release product upgrades to the HG1. Any warranty issues will be handled by the company selling the grinder, so we won't be able to offer any warranty support for sales from Lyn Weber. That being said, Craig Lyn Design Studio is based in Los Angeles and spare parts for all HG1s going back to the day when it was Paul and I developing the original HG1 released way back in 2012 will be handled by CLDS.

And finally, if you can wait for an hour or so, we're going to be releasing a special promotion for the HG1 grinder in terms of a coupon.

kind regards,

Craig

JonF

Postby JonF » Feb 15, 2019, 6:30 pm

As always, it seems I buy things about a week before the coupon . . . but kudos to a great design with the HG-1! Just enjoyed it again a few minutes ago. I really like the ability to adjust both precisely and accurately. And, to prospective buyers, consider these as amazing alternative feet for the grinder:
https://www.amazon.com/Isolate-Sorbotha ... ve+0.25%22

Ferrariandcoffee

Postby Ferrariandcoffee » Feb 18, 2019, 3:23 pm

So... where's this promo coupon ? :)

Btw, is it possible to change the torque ratio of the bevel gears? Instead of say... 1:1 ... do a 3:4 ratio so that the gears make it easier but not too easy (to avoid too many cycles)