Craig Lyn Design Studio - Page 2

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
chipman

Postby chipman » Jan 31, 2019, 9:53 pm

I do wish there was a base for the plastic tube available however.

Bret

Postby Bret » replying to chipman » Jan 31, 2019, 10:37 pm

Me, too! I'd also like a version the plastic bean cellar that matched the internal volume of the tall boy glass cellars. The Plastic cellars have a bit too much volume for my single doses (20G) that fit perfectly (very little headroom) in the glass tall boy cellars. So the plastic cellars have a lot of extra air in them. And, if a new variant of the cellars not only matched the tall boy volume, but also the outer diameter so that they fit nicely into the existing bases, that would be a win-win from my perspective.

Iowa_Boy

Postby Iowa_Boy » Jan 31, 2019, 11:38 pm

Craig Lyn wrote:They should be okay in the freezer. I'd recommend that you use a little bit of mineral oil on the o-rings to keep them lubed. Just use a light wipe and you should be okay.

Thanks, that makes sense! Looks like price has gone up a bit but tempted to give these a try.

chris_n

Postby chris_n » Jan 31, 2019, 11:55 pm

Craig's the coolest! best of luck with the new venture

Craig Lyn
Sponsor

Postby Craig Lyn » Feb 01, 2019, 11:27 am

Bret wrote:Me, too! I'd also like a version the plastic bean cellar that matched the internal volume of the tall boy glass cellars. The Plastic cellars have a bit too much volume for my single doses (20G) that fit perfectly (very little headroom) in the glass tall boy cellars. So the plastic cellars have a lot of extra air in them. And, if a new variant of the cellars not only matched the tall boy volume, but also the outer diameter so that they fit nicely into the existing bases, that would be a win-win from my perspective.

Hi Guys,

First of all thank you to everyone for the kind words. It's always appreciated. There's nothing easy about small scale manufacturing and trust me, I reconsider this path daily and it's always nice to get positive messages.

Here are my thoughts on the capacity of the plastic Bean Cellars. Unfortunately there isn't a Goldilock's size since everyone has different dose preferences. I originally thought it was better to err on the size of too large rather than too small. In regards to the air gap or empty space at the top of the column of beans, here's my completely unsubstantiated thoughts. When coffee out-gasses C02, it displaces the air at the top of the cellar. C02 is heavier than air, and it sinks. If the cellar is upright, the beans should be sitting in a blanket of C02, while any remaining air which causes oxidation or staleness hovers above that blanket.

I hear you loud and clear in regards to developing a caddy :)

kc2hje

Postby kc2hje » Feb 01, 2019, 11:51 am

Craig,

First off best wishes in this new chapter of the evolution of coffee gear, With that said as a new HG-1 at home from LynWebber (thanks to my loving wife) will you be honoring warranty and parts etc from the other units?

Cheers
Chris

P.S. for the record my HG-1 has been a dream its taken at least five min off of my morning ritual and added wonderful coffee aroma from first turn of the flywheel

Also in regards to the bean tube holder something that could be wall mounted would be nice as between the machine, scales, and grinder I believe the bulk of us would like to preserve counter space when we can.

BaristaBoy E61

Postby BaristaBoy E61 » Feb 01, 2019, 12:22 pm

Hi Craig,

Best of good fortunes in your new ventures.
Might you be bringing back your Portafilter Cradle at anytime in the near future?
I'm sure it's missed by many more than just myself.

Thanks
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Craig Lyn
Sponsor

Postby Craig Lyn » Feb 01, 2019, 4:13 pm

kc2hje wrote:Craig,

First off best wishes in this new chapter of the evolution of coffee gear, With that said as a new HG-1 at home from LynWebber (thanks to my loving wife) will you be honoring warranty and parts etc from the other units?

Cheers
Chris

P.S. for the record my HG-1 has been a dream its taken at least five min off of my morning ritual and added wonderful coffee aroma from first turn of the flywheel

Also in regards to the bean tube holder something that could be wall mounted would be nice as between the machine, scales, and grinder I believe the bulk of us would like to preserve counter space when we can.

Hi Chris,

The HG-1 was and always will be my baby. My company won't be able to provide warranty support but I'm more than happy to offer tech support or in the unlikely eventuality spare parts.

I am glad to hear the grinder is finding a good place in your home though.

Everyone seems to be requesting some sort of caddy for the plastic Bean Cellars. It's first up on my list :)

kind regards,

Craig

John49

Postby John49 » Feb 01, 2019, 4:25 pm

Craig Lyn wrote: When coffee out-gasses C02, it displaces the air at the top of the cellar. C02 is heavier than air, and it sinks. If the cellar is upright, the beans should be sitting in a blanket of C02, while any remaining air which causes oxidation or staleness hovers above that blanket.

Although CO2 is denser than air the gases will not remain separate, but defuse and become homogeneous.

Bret

Postby Bret » Feb 01, 2019, 7:00 pm

Craig Lyn wrote:Hi Guys,

....If the cellar is upright, the beans should be sitting in a blanket of C02, while any remaining air which causes oxidation or staleness hovers above that blanket.

I hear you loud and clear in regards to developing a caddy :)

Makes sense, and plastic cellar caddy would help to keep them upright and organized. It will be great if/when it happens, sir!

Cheers