Cafelat Robot manual espresso maker

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
Cafelatstore
Sponsor

#1: Post by Cafelatstore »

Our manual lever espresso maker is nearing completion. Right now we are modifying the die-cast toolings. So some basic details for everyone here who has been so supportive the past year or so.
  • The machine uses a 58mm stainless steel basket
  • Makes a full double shot up to 45g bev. mass
  • Coffee dosage 12-16g is recommended
  • Great heat capabilities of the basket and portafilter
  • Comes with our patented all-in-one portafilter system
  • Completely plastic free construction and components
  • Can achieve extraction pressure of over 10 bar - but we find around 7 to work best
We have 2 versions of the Robot
  • Cafelat Robot - the standard machine as pictured above
    Barista Robot - the machine that comes with the built-in extraction pressure gauge, as pictured below

The pressure gauge is fixed to one of the arms and reads the extraction pressure directly from the basket. That gives you greater control and feedback of pre-infusion pressure and extraction pressure.

How big is it?

The round baseplate is bolted to the legs, which means it can be removed so the machine can pack a little flatter. The weight of the entire machine including the tamper is approx 2kg / 4.4lbs

We are just waiting on final pricing of a few components before we can commit to initial prices. It's all stainless steel and aluminium so not exactly inexpensive to make and all machines will be finished and assembled in-house. MSRP's are likely to be in the region of US$240 and $300 for the basic and barista versions respectively. Many have emailed and messaged regarding pre-orders and waiting lists, we will add further details later this week and maybe some good news of early bird prices.

thebookfreak58

#2: Post by thebookfreak58 »

Can't wait, Paul.

Advertisement
jbviau
Supporter ★

#3: Post by jbviau »

^^^ +1. I'm in. Will it come with that tamper?
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

skittles_s

#4: Post by skittles_s replying to jbviau »

Yes, it is sized/shaped specifically to fit the Robot's basket.

And as expressed in the other thread: Take my money, Paul (+1 Barista version)!

arcus
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by arcus »

D'oh! I was all excited to place my order for the Barista version when I saw the post. Oh well, I just have to wait a little longer :)

jbviau
Supporter ★

#6: Post by jbviau »

Thanks, John. Re: the tamper, I'd missed that in the other thread. One less thing to buy as I ease back into home espresso!
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Balthazar_B

#7: Post by Balthazar_B »

Cafelatstore wrote:It's all stainless steel and aluminium so not exactly inexpensive to make and all machines will be finished and assembled in-house.
Is it designed such that liquids (water or coffee) will come in contact only with stainless steel, and not aluminum? Thanks, Paul!
- John

LMWDP # 577

Advertisement
fdehlvi

#8: Post by fdehlvi »

Thanks for the update Paul, I'm in for one, will be lining up when you start the preorders!

appfrent

#9: Post by appfrent »

Great work Paul. I am in. Its going to be great for camping :-)
I hope you get inspired by La Peppina too. Its crying for high quality modern rebuilt.
Forget four M's, four S's are more important :-)- see, sniff, sip and savor....

another_jim
Team HB

#10: Post by another_jim »

Congratulations Paul; everything old is new again -- and this Faemina reincarnation has learned to hold the tamper in its hand!
Jim Schulman