BIANCA-fy your E61 Grouphead - Page 10

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
mohninme

Postby mohninme » Jun 04, 2019, 3:03 pm

1st-line wrote:With the full closure of the Bianca paddle before engaging the pump, you can bypass the pumps preinfusion by waiting for the pump pressure to get to 9 bar or higher, then open the paddle so there is full pressure exerted at the start of the espresso shot. Just some food for thought.

I have used it both ways and I would agree with that time lag before seeing the pressure start to ramp up at the puck (with the valve open aprox 1/2 turn from closed). I am not completely satisfied with the flow rate in this scenario though (5 ml/s last time I measured). Okccraft posted a pic of his handle modified to allow for a full 360* rotation. BIANCA-fy your E61 Grouphead

I will be making this improvement on mine.
Michael

liquidmetal

Postby liquidmetal » Jun 05, 2019, 11:22 am

Installed the kit last night! Haven't had more than one shot out of desire to sleep, but was happy with the results! Can't wait to get to play with this more today.

The new spring is a lot more work to engage/disengage the brew lever - is that normal?

mohninme

Postby mohninme » Jun 05, 2019, 11:44 am

liquidmetal wrote:The new spring is a lot more work to engage/disengage the brew lever - is that normal?

This was also my experience. After a few days use, I stopped noticing the difference. The spring is entirely optional.
Michael

dimka323

Postby dimka323 » Jun 11, 2019, 9:24 am

Any impressions or reviews?

Planning install mine on QuickMill Alexia evo today.

liquidmetal

Postby liquidmetal » replying to dimka323 » Jun 11, 2019, 11:46 am

I love it. I drink mostly light single origins and the low debit 30s bloom has basically revolutionized my shots. I feel like I have a new machine!

TrlstanC

Postby TrlstanC » Jun 11, 2019, 1:22 pm

I installed it on my Duetto, it was pretty easy to put together, although I didn't bother swapping out the bottom spring yet. Does that have much of an impact?

It took a little playing around with to figure out how much control the paddle actually has. For example, once the pressure has ramped all the way up and been there for a little bit, I won't see a drop unless I almost close the valve completely. I assume it just takes a little while for full pressure to "bleed off" through the puck?

But it definitely does let me pull shots I wouldn't have been able to otherwise, for example taking a high dose and fine grind shot. I've only tried a couple coffees and haven't tried anything too crazy yet, but I've been enjoying it, and I can taste a difference in the cup. Plus, I can just leave it mostly open, and pull a regular E61 shot too.

dimka323

Postby dimka323 » Jun 11, 2019, 5:03 pm

liquidmetal wrote:I love it. I drink mostly light single origins and the low debit 30s bloom has basically revolutionized my shots. I feel like I have a new machine!

Can you explain low debit 30s bloom shot?

liquidmetal

Postby liquidmetal » replying to dimka323 » Jun 12, 2019, 11:58 am

I believe I got the idea from the Slayer thread, but not sure.

Basically, first 30 seconds of the shot are for getting to full pressure in the group head with minimal liquid out (something around 5 grams), and then open the needle valve gently until you get a decent flow rate. I aim for the shot to reach my target wait 30 seconds later, resulting in about a 60 second shot including the low debit first 30 seconds.

mohninme

Postby mohninme » Jun 12, 2019, 1:02 pm

liquidmetal wrote:Basically, first 30 seconds of the shot are for getting to full pressure in the group head with minimal liquid out (something around 5 grams), and then open the needle valve gently until you get a decent flow rate. I aim for the shot to reach my target wait 30 seconds later, resulting in about a 60 second shot including the low debit first 30 seconds.

dimka323 wrote:Can you explain low debit 30s bloom shot?

I have been doing something very similar, but only allowing the pressure to come up to about 3 bar and then managing it there. This equates to something between PI and a bloom/soak as there is flow but maybe only a 2-4 grams over 30-45 seconds using med to light roasts.
Michael

1st-line
Sponsor

Postby 1st-line » Jun 12, 2019, 5:41 pm

mohninme wrote:This was also my experience. After a few days use, I stopped noticing the difference. The spring is entirely optional.

Yes, the spring install is optional. However, if you ramp up your rotary vane pump pressure between 11 and 12 bar with the OPV almost set at 12 bar, you may need the spring installed.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC