BIANCA-fy your E61 Grouphead - Page 3

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
1st-line (original poster)
Sponsor

#21: Post by 1st-line (original poster) »

speedplay wrote:Jim,
I have experienced lower flow rates, I have a DE1Pro too and pull shots typically at a 0.5 ml/s flow rate into the cup and at various brew pressures.
Also, with my Izzo (plumbed in) I can do line-level PI, currently set to 2 bar (in line pressure regulator) which gives me a flow rate 6.4 ml/s without the pump being engaged. I can also pause and soak (without engaging the three way valve) and I could set the brew pressure to 4 bar and do the extraction. But I will have to completely change my grind level (much much coarser) and possibly my dose and at that low pressure I can foresee decreased crema and body and mouthfeel because of limited emulsification of oils due to the low pressure. If a certain minimum high brew pressure was not necessary to achieve this emulsification of oils into a colloidal dispersion then what is the point of the commercial espresso machine with it's ability to generate intense pressure?

But what I want to do is a declining pressure profile starting at 9 bar and declining as I go towards 6 or 4 bar depending on how the extraction is progressing. Everything else I can already do with my E61 and obviously with my DE1Pro.

Anyhow, I think it is possible to do what I want if I set up the valve as explained above (fully open) and starting the shot with the handle all the way around to the right.
I had 2 customers who returned the DE1 for the Bianca.

Interesting points. I have not changed my grind level coarser (unless I change beans or blends), nor changed my dose. These remain the same. Some low pressure profile shots do have less crema, but the flavor profile goes through the roof. The one for the roaster today was all crema. Some of this will depend upon the coffee.

Anyways, off I go to SCA Boston. The Bianca will be in action at the Bravo Beverages booth #152.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

Advertisement
speedplay

#22: Post by speedplay »

Jim,
I mentioned changing the grind and dose for me going from a 9 bar brew pressure to a 4 bar because obviously the grind level and dose I use at 9 bar would choke my machine if now I am pulling at 4 bar brew pressure.
Also agree that body and mouthfeel and crema is firstly bean dependent but extracting at such low pressures will reduce these even if the potential is naturally present in the bean or blend.

Have a good show!
And thanks for the discussion.

Sponsor

#23: Post by 1st-line (original poster) replying to speedplay »

Thanks!
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

danny31292

#24: Post by danny31292 »

Hi Jim, any idea when the 2nd batch should be coming in? I assume the preorder will sell out before we get any word on the quickmill compatibility.

Sponsor

#25: Post by 1st-line (original poster) replying to danny31292 »

Sorry for the delay as I was travelling to SCA EXPO and we basically had 16 hour days...the show, the parties, etc.

2nd batch may be in late June or July. No confirmation yet on them from Lelit yet.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

Max1411

#26: Post by Max1411 »

speedplay wrote:Jim,
I mentioned changing the grind and dose for me going from a 9 bar brew pressure to a 4 bar because obviously the grind level and dose I use at 9 bar would choke my machine if now I am pulling at 4 bar brew pressure.
Also agree that body and mouthfeel and crema is firstly bean dependent but extracting at such low pressures will reduce these even if the potential is naturally present in the bean or blend.

Have a good show!
And thanks for the discussion.
Hi, I am not quite sure if I understand your problem 100%. The lower flow rate of the Bianca is only relevant as long as the group head/ basket isn't filled totally with water. The only thing a faster flow will lead to, is a faster filled basket. As soon as it is filled, it works like any other machine, because the resistance of the coffee puck determines the flow with the valve full open (6ml/s flushflow). The resistance of the needle valve doesn't do (almost) anything at the usual flow rate of a double espresso like 2ml/s, means 99% of the pump pressure drops at the puck, not at the valve. To bring the valve back into play, you need to close it, then a part of the pump pressure drops at the valve, leaving less pressure left for the puck, which leads to exactly the thing you want to do. Start at 9 bar and slowly drop to whatever you want.

dimka323

#27: Post by dimka323 »

Answer received from coffeeitalia:

Dear Dani, I hereby confirm that the E61 brewgroup installed on LELIT machines is exactly the same as the one installed on QuickMill.
The original E61 is patented by "VALENTE" the owner of Vibiemme and is installed just on Vibiemme machines.
Regards
MATTEO DE STEFANI

Advertisement
BoulderGeek

#28: Post by BoulderGeek »

Mara compatible?
Wood to match my Lelit knob kit?
I'm in!
Ordered!

liquidmetal

#29: Post by liquidmetal »

Wondering how the gauge attaches to the grouphead for non-Bianca machines? The Bianca has the gauge built in, obviously, how does that work for other group heads.

mohninme

#30: Post by mohninme replying to liquidmetal »

I believe the Lelit gauge has the same 6 mm thread and shoulder on it matching a std E61 group port. I have one on order so I will report when it arrives.
Michael