BIANCA-fy your E61 Grouphead - Page 11

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
TrlstanC

#101: Post by TrlstanC »

1st-line wrote:Yes, the spring install is optional. However, if you ramp up your rotary vane pump pressure between 11 and 12 bar with the OPV almost set at 12 bar, you may need the spring installed.
OK, so is the spring higher pressure? And the idea is that you turn the pump up for a faster response, and then manage the peak pressure with the paddle?

1st-line (original poster)
Sponsor

#102: Post by 1st-line (original poster) replying to TrlstanC »

From my current understanding, yes and yes.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

Advertisement
Tonefish

#103: Post by Tonefish »

This excellent kit makes me want the wood handles (w bottomless PF) to match. Any idea when those will be back in stock?
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

Sheitan

#104: Post by Sheitan »

Just installed the kit on my Rocket Cellini, skipping the PI spring for now. The rotary pump is set to 9bar peak and everything works fine for now. I also plan to modify the handle a bit ...

brentvdg

#105: Post by brentvdg »

Hi Jim - Would this kit work on a La Nuova Cuadra......the first batch you started selling in approx Dec 2011?

Thanks,

Brent

BoulderGeek

#106: Post by BoulderGeek »

Ooops, made a mistake on reassembly. All good now. Wish i could delete post.
Profiling seems to work fine for my Mara.

Should I have a complete seal at far-left? If I leave the valve closed, I will still eventually build 10 bar of pressure. Is this OK? Do I ever want zero flow at full valve closed?

mohninme

#107: Post by mohninme replying to BoulderGeek »

Hi Michael

Does your handle hit the case when turned all the way left? If so then you should remove the handle and reposition one spline counter clockwise looking at the top. You should have a slight gap between the paddle edge and the Mara's case with the valve fully left. This will allow you full control over the flow. I start with the valve fully right but during PI, I find that I barely have the valve cracked open after pressure starts to build and generally close it right off while the puck soaks. For me this has been the first 30-45 seconds for light roasts. If the valve is open at all pressure will continue to build if the puck has enough resistance to the flow.
Michael

Advertisement
BoulderGeek

#108: Post by BoulderGeek »

Thanks very much for your response. Your thorough modification of your Mara if very impressive. I don't have such thorough machining skills or confidence.

What is the profiling logic that people are using with these?
Brew lever on -> Valve Lever right to allow preinfusion -> Valve close to dwell preinfusion as full pressure maintains -> Valve lever open to right to pull remainder of shot?

I will reset my valve lever to make certain that it is fully closed at full left and see where that goes.
My first shot this morning had a deeper chocolate flavor than usual. Since my not completely closed valve allows a dribble to the puck, i just let it hang for 20 seconds or so, then slowly opened up the valve until I got my usual 58 grams out. My pucks now seem more uniform and cohesive as I knock them out. I use 19-20g in, leveler tool, firm tamp and polish.

mohninme

#109: Post by mohninme »

BoulderGeek wrote:What is the profiling logic that people are using with these?
Brew lever on -> Valve Lever right to allow preinfusion -> Valve close to dwell preinfusion as full pressure maintains -> Valve lever open to right to pull remainder of shot?
Its really user dependant. Some likely start with the valve fully closed and then consider the start of the shot when they crack the valve rather than when they open the brew lever. Everything after that will be adjusting to your grind level, roast level, target brew pressure, yield etc.

You can expect a softer or even sloppy puck with finer grinding and longer PI.
Michael

1st-line (original poster)
Sponsor

#110: Post by 1st-line (original poster) »

brentvdg wrote:Hi Jim - Would this kit work on a La Nuova Cuadra......the first batch you started selling in approx Dec 2011?

Thanks,

Brent
It should. However, I can not guarantee as I just returned from a weeklong trip to San Diego with limited access to the internet. Sorry I have to say 'should' as I have not tried it on the Cuadra. unfortunately, at this time, we do not have the time to do it due to vacations, etc.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC