Zacconi Riviera - oxidation on all copper parts

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
lesterp66

#1: Post by lesterp66 »

I recently acquired a well used Zacconi Riviera machine. There was significant oxidation in the form of brown and black coatings on the inside of the boiler and all copper tubing as well as some standard white scale. I descaled using vinegar twice for 5-6 hours each time. All scale is gone but the oxide never goes away presenting as a chalky/dusty surface that always results in a significant smudge when wiped. The copper tubes are also coated with it on the inside and when reamed with a q-tip, it comes out filthy until it has been done at least a dozen times. Not sure how to crack this nut.

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

I would avoid aggressive descaling of copper. Here's a thread with a good discussion of the chemistry that may be involved with your machine.

Descaling copper boilers--something NOT to do!!!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

lesterp66 (original poster)

#3: Post by lesterp66 (original poster) »

Gary, I have definitely arrived at that conclusion. Now the question is whether the reaction can be stopped and if not is the machine unsafe to use in this state...

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

The boilers on those are pretty thick. Usually the danger is that you cause pinholes. If you bring it up to pressure, are there any pinhole leaks? Even those can be easily sealed.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

lesterp66 (original poster)

#5: Post by lesterp66 (original poster) »

Sounds like an oxide layer will rebuild in time.