Your lever shot average time

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
kidloco

#1: Post by kidloco »

Hey guys. I switched to lever (Londinium LR24) a few months ago. Can I ask how long on average are your shots, In seconds? I guess what I am asking is do shots on lever tend to need more time slower flow? My shots are along the line of 6-12 seconds preinfusion until first drop and the additional 20 seconds more, but Ive seen people pulling shots ranging from 45 seconds to like 1:20.

pj.walczak

#2: Post by pj.walczak »

It really depends.
Beans, grinder, pre-infussion pressure, puck prep, dose.
You range is OK, now you can play and tweak some variables to your taste, but your starting point is OK.
---

Pawel

CoffeeMac

#3: Post by CoffeeMac »

I usually aim for ~10sec to first drip and ~40-50sec total for medium roasts pulled 1:2 on my Compressa with an 18g dose.

For light roasts, it's usually closer to ~15sec and ~60-80sec.

This is really just a guide to get in the ballpark initially; from here I'll adjust grind, PI pressure and brew ratio based on taste and kind of ignore shot time.
Eventually you will end up with a lever.

LMWDP #706

K7

#4: Post by K7 »

I may be the only one here pulling fast shots (for a lever). :lol:

20-25 sec including 5-10 sec preinfusion
Light/filter roasts, fine grind, 15g in, 32-40g out, IMS BaristaPro 15g 58mm basket
---> flavor clarity, sweet, and clean

txxt
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by txxt »

For the past month or so I've been going with a 20 second preinfusion, then 30-40 seconds of full pressure for a 50-60 second shot. Usually 13-13.5g to 40-45g out. All light roasts.

cskorton

#6: Post by cskorton »

I have an LR for 2017, and as other have mentioned, it depends on the beans.

For medium to medium dark roasts - 2 to 3 preinfusion lasting 5-7 seconds (less is more), 25 seconds at full pressure

For medium light and below - 3.5 preinfusion plus, 12 seconds preinfusion, 28 seconds at full pressure

But these are just general guidelines. I usually don't wait until first drops, but lighter roasts are better at handling longer preinfusion times thank medium to dark roasts.

hifier

#7: Post by hifier »

light roasts exclusively on a la pavoni 50-60s total brew time 1:2.5 ratio:

10-15s pre-infusion
40-45s slow ramp up of pressure, leveling off and reducing pressure in the last 10-15s.

I don't know how you could properly extract a light roast in 25s. Or maybe you have an insane grinder? IME you need to let the puck become fully saturated to ensure an even extraction and that takes time. Light roasts are dense. Of course light is subjective...

RyanP

#8: Post by RyanP »

Dialing in for type of bean and taste preferences aside, I think with so many different home grinders of various burr types, sizes, and designs on the market now we need to start recognizing that comparing extraction times, even on the same machines, isn't apples to apples. I can tell you with my monolith flat max and Londinium that a 50-70 second shot will taste, to my palate, astringent almost every time regardless of the bean. I start with 5 seconds of PI followed by a 25-30 second extraction as a baseline for dialing in a new coffee, and I'm not usually straying too far from that, but rather adjusting the grind to change the g in/out ratio. The extraction parameters for the same coffee from a different grinder might be drastically different.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by PIXIllate » replying to RyanP »

What's your PI pressure set to?

K7

#10: Post by K7 »

hifier wrote:light roasts exclusively on a la pavoni 50-60s total brew time 1:2.5 ratio:

10-15s pre-infusion
40-45s slow ramp up of pressure, leveling off and reducing pressure in the last 10-15s.

I don't know how you could properly extract a light roast in 25s. Or maybe you have an insane grinder? IME you need to let the puck become fully saturated to ensure an even extraction and that takes time. Light roasts are dense. Of course light is subjective...
I think it's a matter of grind size and puck thickness. I grind quite fine for light roasts and 15g puck in my 58mm IMS basket is quite thin, so it doesn't take much time to extract in my experience. No sourness at all as long as temp is right. "Light" roast SOs from CCC, Blue Bottle, Black Oak, etc. (Agtron 75-84?)

I arrived at it on my own after lots of experimentation (ongoing), but Gwilym Davies seems to do something similar in his dial-in guide.