Why Do Nearly All Current Levers Use 54mm Group Heads vs 58.5? - Page 7

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#61: Post by baldheadracing »

Wow.

Now that I see the whole space, this is the machine that I'd put in that corner, but I'm biased 8) (any colour scheme is available; plumb-in only).
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Amberale

#62: Post by Amberale »

That is beautiful Jock, congratulations.
If you really want to use the bench you could set up a pump/filter system.
Not that big a hassle to fill a gallon jug of water each week.
The bigger hassle would be draining but that could be managed with a drum/pump/hose.

That said, an Idrocompresso Slim Jim would look spectacular framed in that window.

Advertisement
JB90068 (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#63: Post by JB90068 (original poster) replying to Amberale »

Thank you Craig for the compliment. The only issue with putting it on the bar is that there are large drawers holding pots, pans and appliances so it would be difficult to incorporate a pump and drain system. Also, while I have an extra unused 220v circuit, it is located between the stove and where my current set up is. To get it to the bar would involve cutting a channel in the cement floor which also has in floor radiant heating tubes. It would be easy to wire it beneath the window as would a waterline and outside drain line. I'm assuming that warmup times for the Idrocompresso are similar to other commercial machines or it should be left on? Hopefully someone can chime in.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

drgary
Team HB

#64: Post by drgary »

Jock, wherever you manage to put it, the Lapera would be my choice too. Do you know about it? These are handmade and a lookalike and improvement to the Brugnetti Aurora. It wouldn't have to go in the corner if you can accommodate it somewhere in that space.

https://lapera.ca
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Primacog

#65: Post by Primacog »

Your view turns out to be even better than the first photo indicated! Is that the view from salt lake city of the wasach range? I don't think any coffee machine is that good looking that they should be allowed to obscure such a view!

Since you have a bar, you could put a commercial machine like the idrocompresso on it where the rear of the machine can be seen by guests while you make their coffee. You may have to remove the top shelf of the bar though if it is to be the idrocompresso in order to accommodate it.

I would question though the point in getting such a machine. Except for the times u have guests, you wouldn't be using more than one grouphead anyway...
LMWDP #729

Primacog

#66: Post by Primacog »

I have found the ultimate no expense spared limited edition and special looks machine for your counter! :lol:

https://horecamarket.global/la-marzocco ... tion-12150

This is apparently the 90th anniversary LM LEVA X whereby only 90 were made for sale worldwide. The biggest drawback looks wise IMHO to the LEVA X was always the double stirrup handle which looked unsightly to me but in this 90th anniversary edition, they seem to have a nicer handle design. The LEVA X is doubtlessly the most 21st century looking lever ever made so this has the capacity to elevate the looks of your kitchen like no other machine...with the LRVA X, you could press ut against the wall as the back of the machine isnt anything special to look at and all the looks are in the front and the sides...the price is not shown but its definitely going be very pricey which is probably its only drawback along with the 3 grouphead configuration which may make it compulsory for you to organise a lot more social gatherings at home ...
LMWDP #729

Supporter ❤

#67: Post by JB90068 (original poster) »

Primacog wrote:Your view turns out to be even better than the first photo indicated! Is that the view from salt lake city of the wasach range? I don't think any coffee machine is that good looking that they should be allowed to obscure such a view!
Actually located in Hood River, Oregon. The water is the Columbia River. Not sure if you can see the snow capped mountain in the distance, but that is Mt. Hood. I wouldn't have any issues putting the right machine in front of the window if I have to.
Primacog wrote:You may have to remove the top shelf of the bar though if it is to be the idrocompresso in order to accommodate it.
This would be a deal breaker especially since I would have to run a 220v line to the bar.
Primacog wrote:I would question though the point in getting such a machine. Except for the times u have guests, you wouldn't be using more than one grouphead anyway...
Agreed. Most days out of the year a two group would be way overkill for my needs. My question from earlier is if the Idrocompresso is similar to other commercial machines where it's best left on all day?

Advertisement
coyote-1

#68: Post by coyote-1 »

JB90068 wrote:I'm thinking of trading out my e61 machine and getting a lever. I'm most interested in the Nurri with the Vostok a close second. Other than the Flair 58, it appears that the group heads are all 54mm. I'm curious as to why?
I have no idea why, but the 53-54mm format is great. It might not be "industry standard", but when you really think on it what accessories do you need? Different baskets? Check. Bottomless portafilters? Got 'em. So that leaves the question: can you get good espresso from it? Given that you only have to distribute to perhaps 88% of the area of a 58, it makes distribution design less difficult. And there's less material to have to preheat before pulling a shot.

Lots of advantages accrue to the smaller formats. And the espresso coming from them can be delicious.

Supporter ❤

#69: Post by JB90068 (original poster) »

coyote-1 wrote:what accessories do you need? Different baskets? Check. Bottomless portafilters? Got 'em. So that leaves the question: can you get good espresso from it?

Lots of advantages accrue to the smaller formats. And the espresso coming from them can be delicious.
My understanding from people far more knowledgeable than myself is a very emphatic yes. They tend to be more full bodied and richer than what I make with my E61. This is the reason for wanting one.

The accessories aren't a worthy consideration any longer and can all be replaced easily.

Primacog

#70: Post by Primacog »

JB90068 wrote:Actually located in Hood River, Oregon. The water is the Columbia River. Not sure if you can see the snow capped mountain in the distance, but that is Mt. Hood. I wouldn't have any issues putting the right machine in front of the window if I have to.

This would be a deal breaker especially since I would have to run a 220v line to the bar.

Agreed. Most days out of the year a two group would be way overkill for my needs. My question from earlier is if the Idrocompresso is similar to other commercial machines where it's best left on all day?
If I had a view like yours from my kitchen window, I wouldn't put up anything to block the views from all the windows, but that's just me...

I still think the nicest looking, and most versatile and easiest solution is to put either the nurri or a manument in that corner. And of those two machines you already know which one I think looks better! :)
LMWDP #729