Why Do Nearly All Current Levers Use 54mm Group Heads vs 58.5? - Page 6

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Primacog

#51: Post by Primacog »

JB90068 wrote:I can only do a mock-up in the Slim Jim and not the Idrocompresso but I love the '50's - '60's look to this. I'm reminded of some of the guitars and amps that Gretsch was making back then. As an Idrocompresso - this would be my dream machine for my home just based on its form. I hear it can make a good cup of coffee too. :D
I agree with the looks of the pump version of the slim Jim- it looks very nice indeed according to the late 50s car vibe. However I do personally fnd the lever idrocompresso version of the slim Jim to not have quite the same elegance amd it looks considerably busier and less compelling. These views are very subjective of course!
LMWDP #729

espressotime

#52: Post by espressotime »

JB90068 wrote:I think I saw that is was around $8K which is a whole lot better that the KVDW at $25K+. Not sure where it could be serviced though...
If you get a machine with a lsm group you can do all the servicing yourself.Never have to worry about that.I' m talking analogue machines like pompei or izzo leva.The more electronics that are involved the more you will be depending on aftersales.

Have you considered a simple vintage lever?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#53: Post by JohnB. »

JB90068 wrote:I think I saw that is was around $8K which is a whole lot better that the KVDW at $25K+. Not sure where it could be serviced though...
When I asked the factory about Idrocompresso pricing I was told it started at $17K. Who quoted $25K?
LMWDP 267

JB90068 (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#54: Post by JB90068 (original poster) replying to JohnB. »

It's only a guess based on the Slim Jim with all the customization which I assume could also be done to the Idrocompresso.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

Supporter ❤

#55: Post by JB90068 (original poster) »

espressotime wrote:If you get a machine with a lsm group you can do all the servicing yourself.Never have to worry about that.I' m talking analogue machines like pompei or izzo leva.The more electronics that are involved the more you will be depending on aftersales.

Have you considered a simple vintage lever?

Vintage would be fine, but I would have to find one that was reliable and visually fit the space. I was lamenting with Primacog last week that most current designs are just boxes that look the same and have no design aesthetics compared to how beautiful some of the vintage ones look. My home is a mix of mid century modern and modern furnishings so I could go vintage.

espressotime

#56: Post by espressotime replying to JB90068 »

Something like a Lambro can be found for app. 2500.
Not a chrome box and makes amazing espresso and milkdrinks.

Primacog

#57: Post by Primacog »

From a looks perspective, IMHO a more ordinary looking vintage lever like the aurora or the lambro doesn't really make the kind of looks statement that I think the OP is looking for even though they may make great coffee. You would want to pull out all the stops to get eg a La Cosmo or a Marte.

However if the expected place to install it is in the corner, that would take away a good view of the back of such machines which were originally designed to be commercial machines and to be displayed in a cafe where the rear could be seen by customers. Thus a corner placement would negate much of the point of getting such a spectacular machine. You would want to instead display it on eg an island so tha its visual glory can be seen from every angle.

This same criticism is applicable to the lvdW slim Jim idrocompresso - if you put it into that corner, you will miss out seeing the rear view whxj is its best view . It was designed to show off the rear to customers - the front looks a good deal less spectacular.

Besides for a vintage machine, they lack the temperature and preinfusion control and quick warm up that the hybrid levers offer.

On the other hand as a home producer machine, a Nurri leva is designed to look at its best with its rear pressed against the corner or kitchen wall...
LMWDP #729

espressotime

#58: Post by espressotime replying to Primacog »

The two faema's I mentioned were just meant to give the op a hint that older machines are an option he may want to consider.
These days there are so many levers out there it makes choosing one almost like looking for a tree in the woods.

Primacog

#59: Post by Primacog »

That's true - the choices open to consumers are more than they have been since the hey days of levers in the 1950s. Hopefully they will return and give pump machines some real competition!
LMWDP #729

Supporter ❤

#60: Post by JB90068 (original poster) »

Baz and Alf - thank you for your ideas. All worthy and I appreciate the help. To offer some visual clarity I don't feel that I'm completely locked into the corner. If it is large like the KVDW, it could sit in front of the window to the left. Sure it will impact the exterior view but I'm fine with that. While I would really like to put the machine on the lower level of the bar, in order to plumb it in, I would have cut into the cement floor to bury the water and drain lines. That would be too much hassle.