Why Do Nearly All Current Levers Use 54mm Group Heads vs 58.5? - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
daveyb

#31: Post by daveyb »

@Espressotime. A;f, it is a shortened version of the word brilliant!

espressotime

#32: Post by espressotime replying to daveyb »

Ok.I did not know that. Thanks.

espressotime

#33: Post by espressotime »

DenisSabou wrote:@espressotime

Again I would not jump to such easy conclusions as you are drinking mostly darker-more developed beans that are not as sensitive to extraction parameters.

I found a huge difference between 58 and 54mm shots. On dalla corte mina (conversion kit from 54mm to 58mm) and both 54mm evo and others 58mm machines.

Plus there is a major difference in grind size and taste when you come from a flair classic with 45mm to a flair 58mm, or when you come from a 41mm basket to a 51mm basket. Again, for dark roasts because those have a potent high body, thick, you might not see the differences there, but on a filter roast the differences are night and day.

The LSM group in the ACS or Nurri machines is not the same as the old LSM group, not only the water path is different but the gaskets are different too, with less gaskets in the modern group.
I would not say that.

This is what my beans look like right now.
But I' m not a fan of really light roasted beans that's true.

mathof

#34: Post by mathof »

espressotime wrote:.When I bought my Pompei I did some measurements pulling shot after shot.Stable as a rock.Which of course is what you would expect as it is a true commercial machine.
Do you mean stable from shot-to-shot or stable during a shot? In the latter case, the typical drop in temperature from the beginning to the end of a lever shot would be lost. According to my measurements, the drop is 3.8C over a 30-second shot on a Londinium modern-lever group.

espressotime

#35: Post by espressotime replying to mathof »

From shot to shot.
Shots started at 96 and ended at 92.

mathof

#36: Post by mathof replying to espressotime »

Very similar, then. I don't know what the recovery time for shot-to-shot is on my L1 as I rarely make several shots in succession.

I read on a forum that the ACS Vesuvius Eco Leva brew water temperature is stable during a shot (like a pid-controlled pump machine). I suppose, however, that would depend on whether the group continues to be actively heated after the lever is pulled: otherwise the group would shed heat and act as a heat sink, like a traditional commercial lever group.

DenisSabou

#37: Post by DenisSabou »

You choose how you want to control the temperature during a shot, it's written in the manualbook. You can have it as a saturated group-stable temp via shot, or decline/climbing during the shot. This is why these machines are so versatile.

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#38: Post by pizzaman383 »

The group head works in close concert with the rest of the espresso machine components that impact the water path especially the thermodynamic behavior of those. The espresso machine design must deal with the characteristics of all of those components and figure out a good balance that creates good to great espresso. In the end, you need to pick the machine that has the overall combination that you like best.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

Primacog

#39: Post by Primacog »

JB90068 wrote:First of all, allow me to thank each of you for your help and input. The wealth of knowledge that you have is amazing and I appreciate your willingness to reach out to me.

Jason - completely agree about the accessories. Ultimately they are unimportant and can be replaced although the new Weber Unibasket and PF will hurt a little. Fortunately there are no bedrooms to bother unless I have guests. After three days, I might grab the chainsaw and attempt to grind my beans that way. :D

Craig - I can't do singles. If I don't have doubles, my blood will get too thick and I'll likely seize up. :D Also, Douglas Weber has clearly stated that the EG-1 isn't made for single shots. I'm fine with that!

I have to say the Elektra Micro Casa is gorgeous, but I agree, it won't work with the EG-1. It really would create a visual conflict. The newer version reminds me of the Europiccola which was my first espresso machine in '89. I loved that machine and when I bought it, it was partially due to how much I liked its looks.

Baz, this is a part of the aesthetic problem. The window on the left is 1.5m high and a little over 2m wide. The rest of the room is open with large windows or sliding glass doors on three sides. The only reason I mention this is because the more I look at that corner, the more I realize its' purpose needs to be stated clearly and be well defined since there is so much visual information that it has to compete with. From strictly a design perspective, it looks a bit disparate right now and needs a visual anchor. Based on that, the choice of the machine actually plays a critical role.
Like the rest of you, I take great pleasure in anything to do with coffee and I think we can all agree that at a certain point in our daily experience, when we walk into the room and see our private coffee reserve, it adds a significant amount of pleasure beyond making it and drinking it. That's the form part, which in my case at least, shouldn't be overlooked...

Cheers.
Given the color of the walls and the white Eg-1, i reckon the white and zebrawood nurri would look incredible in that corner. The rectangular nature of the lines of the nurri when viewed square on tie in well woth the rectangular frames of rhe windows and the cabinet doors.
LMWDP #729

yoshi005

#40: Post by yoshi005 »

IMHO, a Kees van der Westen Speedster would fit in beautifully, too.
LMWDP #453