Which Small Lever, Mostly for Display?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Nunas
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Nunas »

I have a number of coffee makers on shelves above my espresso bar. The centerpiece right now is a Belgian Balance. I'm looking to add a decorative lever machine that I would also play with once in a while. Daily use, though, would remain my Synchronika. But which machine? I'd like one for which I could still get repair parts (all my display items function perfectly). I'd like it to be "pretty" (OK, that's subjective), but at least not all pitted and grotty looking :) . It needs to be fairly small, as the shelves are only a bit bigger than 8" (should have made the darned things a foot deep :oops: ). I'm good with either a spring lever or a fully manual, as it is mostly for display.

One contender is the La Pavoni, mostly because it's truly a classic and there are lots of them available. Probably the cheapest would be Europiccola-8 even though it's the plainest. The most expensive would be the Stradivari-16 which would also be the best looking. A good compromise might be the Professional.

Another one I'm considering is the Zacconi Riviera Spring Lever. The newer ones (all chrome/stainless, with switch and green light on the front) would be a good bet. I believe parts are in limited production and so parts should be readily available, while parts for the older ones might be a problem--right?

Finally, the Arrarex Caravel. This is the clear choice for something really unique and "funky" looking. But I wonder if parts would be a problem. Also, getting one that does not look beat up at a reasonable price might be an issue.

So, lever people, what do you think?

Advertisement
BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

+1 Arrarex Caravel!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

JmanEspresso

#3: Post by JmanEspresso »

Ive always planned to add a lever machine to my setup. The two most likely candidates, are the Cremina, and the Micro Casa. IMO, two best looking levers out there, and they also seem to be beyond excellent in making great coffee.

Display wise, the Micro Casa sure is shmexy. Tho probably expensive for a machine that will mostly look nice.

I totally vote for the Caravel. Super cool lookin machine. OH! Just thought of this.. How about a La Peppina?

LObin

#4: Post by LObin »

This is my little collection... 8)

+ a La Pavoni Professional (currently on the work bench) and a Robot Barista (soon hopefully!) and a Europiccola gen 1 (one day...).

My favorite design wise is the Caravel for sure. The one I use from time to time is the brown La Peppina. It makes an remarkably sweet espresso. If you wanted something to display and to also use on occasion, you can't go wrong with a Europiccola. It's a great travel machine that does everything well. The Mini Gaggia is also gorgeous (my wife's favorite).

When I getva Cafelat Robot, it will be displayed and put to use more than any of these, I'm certain.

That's my own experience...

Cheers!
LMWDP #592

redbone

#5: Post by redbone »

Many good options can not go wrong with a Caravel.

* Display or not suggest Caravel 1.1 or below models as per Francesco's pages.http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/m_arrarex_eng.htm

Bruni Brunella on bench. Many other prosumer levers come and gone.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

spressomon

#6: Post by spressomon »

Another vote for Caravel.
No Espresso = Depresso

triodelover

#7: Post by triodelover »

And another for the VAM/VAM Export/Caravel. Although once you get it you may find that you're using it more than you thought for straight shots. Because of the boiler construction it's pretty easy to monitor temp and get it dialed it. Once you get the dose and grind right, it plays really well with the big boys. (Easy to clean and maintain to boot.)

Advertisement
nirdvorai
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by nirdvorai »

For display I personally would go with the Faema Faemina.

A truly Italian beauty. The thin leg that sits between the boiler and the base gives it an almost architectural motives.

truemagellen

#9: Post by truemagellen replying to nirdvorai »

And I have one for sale. :) listing just expired :mrgreen:

danetrainer

#10: Post by danetrainer »

+7 Caravel