Which shower screen for Bezzera Strega

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Body

#1: Post by Body »

I am looking for a better shower screen for my Strega because most of the time water comes over the drip tray when I make a flush. I use a a duble shower screen, no name.
Which one do you use or which one do you advice?
Thank you

okmed

#2: Post by okmed »

I don't think another shower screen will make a difference. I installed a Cafelat screen which has more openings (centre is not solid) and water still splashes over the tray when it hits the tray. I think it would need a larger tray to contain the splashing.

Body (original poster)

#3: Post by Body (original poster) replying to okmed »

Splashing is the good word yes
Even I have one spring it happens.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

I have the Cafelat one as well.

Regardless, I am curious: Why are people flushing? The Strega doesn't use a thermosyphon ...
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Body (original poster)

#5: Post by Body (original poster) replying to baldheadracing »

To clean the screen. It's good to to do that between the shots

baldheadracing
Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing replying to Body »

Ah, okay. I find that my screen, group gasket, etc., stay clean between shots. I do see some fines build-up above the screen after a couple dozen shots with the Cafelat/IMS 200. However, I have to drop the screen to clean those fines out - flushing won't remove them for me. Of course, a flush will help if coffee grounds are stuck to the bottom of screen, but that should never happen with the Strega as there is no 3-way solenoid.

As an FYI, I don't see any difference between the spewing of steam/flash-boiling water of my Strega versus other machines. What is different is that the distance between the bottom of the Strega's group and the drip tray is 2-3cm larger than is typical. This leads to a wider spray pattern hitting the drip tray. Perhaps one could use the single-spout portafilter to contain the flush?

Stephane_Paris

#7: Post by Stephane_Paris »

I do flush after each shot and clean the shower screen with micro fibre fabrics, i have fines on the micro fibre each time, i guess that clean so (standart shower screen)

Also for dark roast i do flush before the shot, to put down the temperature, that give better result at my taste.
LMWDP #588.

Body (original poster)

#8: Post by Body (original poster) replying to Stephane_Paris »

So your flush is also splashing over the tray?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#9: Post by baldheadracing »

Stephane_Paris wrote:I do flush after each shot and clean the shower screen with micro fibre fabrics, i have fines on the micro fibre each time, i guess that clean so (standart shower screen)

Also for dark roast i do flush before the shot, to put down the temperature, that give better result at my taste.
I forgot about dark roasts :oops:.

Stephane_Paris

#10: Post by Stephane_Paris »

Body wrote:So your flush is also splashing over the tray?
Never, i saw a vid here about that, i never had that

I think you Strega is modified ? how ?
LMWDP #588.