What makes lever espresso different? - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#21: Post by pizzaman383 »

drgary wrote:This would vary over different groups.

The temperature profile of a commercial lever group
I recently measured temperatures of my group and not surprisingly it declines like described in that thread.

I also found that I need to vary the temperature settings depending on whether I do a single walk-up shot or several shots in a row (this needs a lower water temperature).
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

markmark1

#22: Post by markmark1 »

Thanks Craig and Gary!

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
mathof

#23: Post by mathof »

pizzaman383 wrote:I recently measured temperatures of my group and not surprisingly it declines like described in that thread.
I too recently did some temperature measurements of my early model Londinum 1 (2014). (I seem to be spending a lot of time at home these days.) I was looking at the relationship between group temp and brew water temp (as it emerges from the shower screen). I found a ~14C difference between the one and the other. For example, if the group temp (at the point where I measure it) is 79C, the maximum brew water temp is 93C (and this remains the case from 77C-82C group temp).

brenster21

#24: Post by brenster21 »

The most common view about lever espresso is that it gives you the most control since you are physically pulling the shot, and you can adjust things like brew pressure on the fly if you feel it is needed. Making lever machines an affordable way to get into flow profiling at home, since you can add in a flow gauge and in theory adjust your throw based on the amount of pressure in the grouphead. In my opinion lever machines are perfect for the home-barista that wants to experiment a bit or just have the sense of pulling the shots themselves.

Now that is not to say they do not have drawbacks, it took me well over a year to make a what i considered to be a good cup of espresso with my la pavoni. La Pavoni lever do not have fancy features you see on similar non lever machines at the same price range or as many safety features and do have some important drawbacks, such as an inability to do multiple shots back to back, and over heating the group head.

drgary
Team HB

#25: Post by drgary »

With a La Pavoni lever you can pull multiple back-to-back shots without modifying the machine. It's a matter of knowing the technique.

La Pavoni Europiccola temperature issue?

Also if you measure the temperature at the group head and measure the coffee dose and use a good grinder it doesn't take very long at all to create good shots.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!