What is this filter basket?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
sameh_D

#1: Post by sameh_D »

hi
looking to buy bottomless portafilter (in addition to the regular one I already have) and filters to my sampa export (pontevecchio nowadays)
and came across 2 regular filters of small and big size and a third one called "shower". is the shower filter the pressurized version or what? any input about it will be appreciated. not sure what is it.
picture attached, link here:https://www.lamacchinadelcaffe.com/filt ... cchio.html

thanks

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Looks like the shower head screen dispersion filter that goes over the group to disperse the water as it enters the portafilter over the ground coffee. It's not for the portafilter, but the group head.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Advertisement
sameh_D (original poster)

#3: Post by sameh_D (original poster) replying to yakster »

thanks. it may be the case! thanks

truemagellen

#4: Post by truemagellen replying to sameh_D »

The way the Italians describe showers and baskets is different than our categorization in English combined with poor translation equals a bit of confusion for buyers.

Export is a great little lever. There are many new users from Israel in few yesrs. Perhaps a Meetup for you guys would be beneficial to all.

#5: Post by sameh_D (original poster) replying to truemagellen »

hi
glad you edited your reply and realized the source of confusion :wink: where the shower screen was categorized with the filters in the web.

I am very satisfied with my espresso actually but after losing the small filter I realized that I should buy the whole needed parts including the bottomless portafilter to have more "fun" and direct visual of espresso pour :)

will be interesting if other Israeli users have pontevecchio, as mine was bought second hand from some guy who bought it directly from Italy some 20-30 years ago!! no dealer for this brand here and hard to find parts due to the special measures such as the filter!!

truemagellen

#6: Post by truemagellen replying to sameh_D »

Ha yes you caught me. Decided to not have fun with my response and be more analytical since I once was scratching my head as you were with this.

And yes it is a filter...a filtero of water. And the portafilter is holder of filter, the filter basket that filters coffee water. This is how most Italian parts sites categorize things and it is confusing at first.

If you enjoy your machine and want to have larger shot volume you might want to consider buying a full size group 55mm La San Marco/Izzo Leva or 58mm Bosco (many brands with this group). The Samas are very small basket size and shot volume. Although you can attempt multi Fellini moves if you have a great grinder a very fine grind and a bit of luck. Otherwise if you like the format an Elektra Mcal gives a bit more volume and robust design...the spring is also softer like the Sama so not as full bodied shots a bit softer and smoother.

#7: Post by sameh_D (original poster) replying to truemagellen »

thanks for the tips Jason
I was not aware that it is possible to change group on sampa with different brand but I am not gonna go on this direction at the moment, I bought my sampa with only a small size filter and even though it was a small size and sometime wished I had larger filter to have more espresso, still I was satisfied with my drink, and now after I lost the small filter I had to get it ordered from Italy so I took this opportunity and ordered also the big size filter which will be a new thing for me with this machine and the biggest excitement-the BOTTOMLESS PORTAFILTER-best toy I could ask for :D

what is a bit annoying is I have a small manual coffe grinder that takes ages to get coffe grinded..i should find out if having large filter in the near future will be the straw that breaks camel back !!! time will say :roll: