What is the next step up for a spring lever?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
CoffeeBeetle

#1: Post by CoffeeBeetle »

Hey guys

I've been using a Zacconi Riviera for some time as well as a Pavoni prof. While i think that the Riviera is a great machine, i suspect that i might at some point want to upgrade it. The problem is that i really don't know what the next step is. Iv'e been looking at the Strega, since it seems like it would give one a lot of variables to play with, but other than that i don't really know any alternatives to that one.
I've like to have the ability to pull a bit bigger shots than the Riviera is capable of, without having to use the Fellini move or something similar. Other than that it would be nice with some decent steam capability. I know that technically my Riviera can steam milk, but in reality it's a real pain and if i were to make milk drinks regularly i would very quickly get tired of the Riviera.
I've been looking at some of the older commecial lever machines, but i really don't know which machines would be suitable for home use. The absolute max price would be around that of a Strega, and only because it seems like the extra money for the features of that machine is worth it. In reality i would like the price to be a little lower.

So bascially; A good sized group, a decent steamer and a price not too far over 1000 Euro. Don't mind if it's a restoration project, so older machines are welcome. What kind of recommendations do you guys have?

OldNuc

#2: Post by OldNuc »

The huge problem with older commercial machines is this: if they do not use readily commercially available seals and o-rings they are a real poor choice for daily use. The continued high maintenance cost for what are consumable components will eat at continued enjoyment like acid. Ready access to standard size and material consumable elastomers is critical. This alone prevents me from dragging home a antique commercial spring lever. Fixing the electrics and hardware is easy as it is the elastomers that are not easily produced in some non standard size in a home shop and that is a deal breaker.

aaronmaestri

#3: Post by aaronmaestri »

To add to what the previous poster said, a Faema with a Zodiac group still has almost all parts available. So a Lambro, President and some Urania still use seals and springs that are currently commercially available new. Problem is that single group machines are the most desirable, are harder to find than twin group machines and as a result they sell for a premium. Even the single group machines are generally a LOT larger than any domestic machine, certainly larger than the Zacconi, and it will need to be direct plumbed too.
But in the right circumstances they are a beautiful usable sculpture and a piece of espresso history.

CoffeeBeetle (original poster)

#4: Post by CoffeeBeetle (original poster) »

Welp, you guys just executed my little idea of an old commercial lever machine. I never really thought about the points that you guys bring up but i can definitely see it now. I'm moving to a apartment in a couple of months so a small-ish(compared to a commercial lever) footprint is going to be necessary, and plumbing is also out of the question. Guess the idea of bringing an old lever back to life overshadowed the practical limitations of doing so.

Okay, so commercial lever is out of the question. What options do i have? I'm not asking you guys to just give me a name so i don't have to do any research myself, just to give me names of machines that you would consider having in your home. Maybe it's because i never really focused on machine in that price class, but i find it hard to tell the difference between purely commercial machines and high-end home machines.

Gpinch1

#5: Post by Gpinch1 »

A used Londinium 1 may be slightly above your budget, but it's a good candidate.

Ponte Vecchio Lusso
Ponte Vecchio Export
La Pavoni Stradivari Professional

#6: Post by CoffeeBeetle (original poster) »

I'm only looking for a spring lever. The manuel machines are fun, but i wouldn't want them to be my primary machine. Correct me if i'm wrong but both the PV use the same group as my Riviera? Unless there's a big difference to those PV, then i fear that they wouldn't be capable of making shots that are larger than the shots from the Riviera.
A Londinium would be great and if i found one used then it might be within the budget. So far that's the only machine that makes me want to go over my budget. Generally speaking i wouldn't mind buying a used machine, If i could find a used Strega that would be perfect. Problem is that i have found almost no used high end levers for sale in northern Europe, at least on sites like Ebay.

peacecup

#7: Post by peacecup »

The Strega is the only one cheap enough. There is a good seller in NL if you google it, and I see them in DE too.

If you can find a way to test a PV Lusso you might be surprised - it is a different beast than the little Riviera or the PV Export. You can't get away from a double-pull technique if you want 30-40 ml shots, but it really easy to master. I've pulled several thousand great ristrettos on these machines.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

Marcelnl

#8: Post by Marcelnl »

My Faemina (vintage spring lever) is still going strong after more than 60 years of use, now used daily with approx 10-12 doubles / ristrettos per day.
LMWDP #483

#9: Post by CoffeeBeetle (original poster) »

I have been looking at the Faemina and seriously thought about buying one. The problem is that while it might be able to pull some great shots, i'm afraid the steaming would be lacking. I'm probably going to buy one at some point to see why it's still so popular. If for some reason i've have to lower my budget that might be the way to go.

Marcelnl

#10: Post by Marcelnl »

I am too lazy to use the steam wand but can tell you it is plenty powerfull. Only dtawback is the lack of speed making several espressos back to back, you need to wait for the pressure going down before unlocking the PF
LMWDP #483