Water, water everywhere - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Jeff
Team HB

#11: Post by Jeff »

LObin

#12: Post by LObin »

The resource center is also quite the treasure box:

https://lpowners.org/
LMWDP #592

lmolter (original poster)

#13: Post by lmolter (original poster) »

It appears that https://lpowners.org/ is no longer working. All of the links on that page do not work. There's a disclaimer that the site is no longer being maintained.

ziptie

#14: Post by ziptie » replying to lmolter »

That link requires that the user be a member of the LP fb group...there are a few. The admin who assembled and maintained that re-direct link (MUCH better orgainzied) is no longer on fb, hence the note about "no longer being maintained". It is true that there is a ton of good wisdom within that group's resource center. FB's file management options suck, which is why said admin corralled the wealth of info into a more digestible format. The file content is under the Files section in the group. It's just chaotic. No means to group similar topics, for example.

FWIW, the "La Pavoni Enthusiasts & Tech group by Coffee Sensor®" fb group is ever-growing and has plenty of good knowledgeable folks too. I am a member in both. That said, there isn't much that hasn't been discussed LP-wise on HB.

I had it with the stock steam wand assembly. I re-machined the valve once, and it was good for a year or so...then leaking reappeared. I ended up replacing the stock assembly with the B-push valve. No more leaks.

#15: Post by lmolter (original poster) »

ziptie wrote: I ended up replacing the stock assembly with the B-push valve. No more leaks.
Ah, but they're on the other side of the pond. Wonder how much postage to mail to the States?

LObin

#16: Post by LObin » replying to lmolter »

If you're going get a few gaskets and upgrades/accessories, it's worth checking out Coffee-sensor. They have free shipping after a certain amount spent and use DHL which are uber fast and reliable.

Amazing designs and build quality.
LMWDP #592

#17: Post by lmolter (original poster) »

I thought the water leak went away when I tightened one of the heating element screws because it was a little loose. The others were tight and did not budge. Well, it still leaks. Could it be from the pressure-stat connection? Bad weld?

Other than the pressure-stat, is it possible either the element gasket or the tank-to-base gasket needs replacing? How often are these replaced usually? Give that special tools are required to remove the flange, I don't imagine this is an annual replacement job.

And what if it IS the pressure-stat pipe fitting that's leaking? There's some sort of hard caulking that has been applied around the connection to the boiler and it has cracks, but no moisture was found on it.

After it cools today, I'll revisit the screws again with an Allen wrench.

MCal2003

#18: Post by MCal2003 » replying to lmolter »

Excess torque on a screw, bolt just stress the fitting or the hardware. If your gaskets have hardened just tightening the fitting is not the solution. If you plan to keep the machine for a significant amount of time either invest in the tools or if an option take it to a repair shop. On the MCal minor leaks when the boiler is at pressure are hard to isolate. Why I just replace both boiler and heating element gaskets at the same time vs. tearing apart the machine twice if guessing wrong and/or needing to replace the ok gasket sooner than later. Your worst case is you have new gaskets and have eliminated one source of your leak or leaks.
LMWDP #151

LObin

#19: Post by LObin »

lmolter wrote:I thought the water leak went away when I tightened one of the heating element screws because it was a little loose. The others were tight and did not budge. Well, it still leaks. Could it be from the pressure-stat connection? Bad weld?

Other than the pressure-stat, is it possible either the element gasket or the tank-to-base gasket needs replacing? How often are these replaced usually? Give that special tools are required to remove the flange, I don't imagine this is an annual replacement job.

And what if it IS the pressure-stat pipe fitting that's leaking? There's some sort of hard caulking that has been applied around the connection to the boiler and it has cracks, but no moisture was found on it.

After it cools today, I'll revisit the screws again with an Allen wrench.

Sometimes, the only thing left to do is to remove the plastic sub-base with the machine ON and inspect/locate the leak source. It's either the heating element gasket or the pressurestat pipe on the boiler side or on the pstat side. Although it's less likely, it could also be the heating element terminals.

That white "caulking" at the pstat pipe/HE connection is thread sealant. Loxeal 55-03 or 18-10 are often used on espresso machines.
LMWDP #592

#20: Post by lmolter (original poster) »

The leaks are fickle. None in the last week.

On another note, the gasket and seal replacement I did made the machine so much easier to use -- the lever is as smooth as glass. At first, I wasn't sure if it was working right as there was almost no resistance.

Can't get good microfoam after the rebuild, though, although nothing was done to the steam wand. There seems to be more steam pressure, but it's hard to tell because the pressure gauge won't zero and always reads .5 too high. I bought another one but misplaced it. And they're not cheap. I bought the brass one (because it looked nicer?) and forgot to bye the adapter. While waiting for the adapter, I lost the gauge somewhere. $62 USD for that brass gauge. And not even solid brass -- just brass plate instead of chrome plate. Oh, well...