Water under base of La Pavoni Pro

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
toolate

#1: Post by toolate »

I suspect given it appearing beneath the base it is a slow leak at the gasket between boiler and base BUT when i opened it I could nt find water.

Any thoughts on how to properly diagnose the source of the water?

IamOiman
Team HB

#2: Post by IamOiman »

Do you notice this suspecting leak after you use the machine? What happened with me is when I replaced my boiler gasket I did not tighten the bolts enough and when under pressure I could hear hissing from leaking pressurized water going through the gasket. When I left the machine alone the water would evaporate due to the heat over time. I would check your machine base right after you use it, unless you think it leaks even when turned off. In any case I would replace the boiler gasket just to be safe.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

toolate (original poster)

#3: Post by toolate (original poster) »

seems to leak after i turn it off or perhaps at all times but very slowly...

SeekingGodShots2

#4: Post by SeekingGodShots2 »

It's the heating element gasket that is creating the leak.

Search this forum for the August 06, 2019 posting by Katzer. Read through the thread. Order a thicker version of the HE gasket. If not, follow the directions by cleaning the gasket, the boiler edge and applying a light coat of food grade silicone grease to the gasket and edge. Carefully reassemble and snug down the bolts in sequence.
LMWDP #548

#5: Post by toolate (original poster) »

Thanks!
i see a small crack in my abd flange as well so time to replace that with a brass one i guess...

#6: Post by toolate (original poster) »

who sells complete gasket kits that are OEM and relaible for La pavoni anyone?

Jake_G
Team HB

#7: Post by Jake_G »

Stefano is the man.

Browse his website:
www.espressocare.com

And then shoot him an email. He or Kathleen will guide you to the correct parts to ensure you get what you need for your specific machine to address your specific issues.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

#8: Post by toolate (original poster) »

Thanks!

Hope i can get that ABS flange off!

Anyone know waht works best to oil the flange to remove it?

drgary
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary »

David,

So we are not answering the same questions many times, please use the Search function on this site. A search for "Pavoni flange removal" brought up many threads.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

SeekingGodShots2

#10: Post by SeekingGodShots2 »

You may not need to replace the flange and the required gaskets for the tank and base. The leak you describe is the heating element gasket and its replacement does not require flange removal - even if there are micro cracks to the flange*. Identify all the electric connections, disconnect, unscrew the three bolts, clean off any scale around the boiler, clean/dry heating element, apply light coat of Molykote or equal to edge of boiler, heating element and new thick gasket and reassemble. The new gasket should resolve the leak immediately.

If you insist on removing the flange, order the appropriate gaskets, a brass replacement flange, three heating element bolts, and rent the flange "removal" tool. Remove the heating element and all connections at the bottom of the boiler. Stand the machine upright, hold the base down and spin CCW the boiler off the base. Carefully pry the flange ring off, leaving the bottom gasket intact. If the bottom gasket is in good condition, leave it in place. *The factory applies a bond to the gasket and it requires substantial manual effort to completely removal it. (Warning: if you use a gasket removal compound such as CRC, just be aware it will remove/dissolve the base paint while you chipping away the gasket). Install a new top of base to boiler gasket. Use the flange "removal" tool to install the flange ring. Be sure the boiler is properly aligned and snug down the flange. So, the flange removal tool is actually a flange installation tool. Reassemble heating element connections.

Save yourself time, effort and money and just replace the heating element gasket with a new thicker version.
LMWDP #548