Video showing my La Pavoni Europiccola modifications

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
RayJohns

#1: Post by RayJohns »

After much contemplation, I have decided to sell my La Pavoni on ebay.

As part of the auction, I made a video today showing some of the modification that I have made to the machine over the last year or so. The video turned out pretty nice, so I thought I would share it here for anyone who may be interested in the upgrades, etc.

I've put so much TLC and work into this machine - and it has been making such great espressos lately - that I hate to see it go. However, I'm giving some thought to buying an Izzo Alex II soon and I don't have any room or need for two machines.

Here's the video:
Has anyone upgraded from a La Pavoni to the Izzo Alex by any chance? If so, what has your experience been?

Ray

RayJohns (original poster)

#2: Post by RayJohns (original poster) »

Well, actually, the time has not come to sell the La Pavoni - at least not just yet :-). After spending the weekend reading reviews and doing further research, I think I'm just going to hang onto the La Pavoni for a bit longer.

I had my sights set on the Izzo Alex II, but now I'm not so sure. I'm very impressed with the Rocket machines also. I also have mixed feelings about a DB machine vs. an HX machine. I like the idea of the PID on a boiler machine, but I also like the idea of the HX machine not leaving the water sitting around either. I'm not sure if that's a huge issue or not, but I want to think more about it.

Additionally, I like the idea that the La Pavoni is fast and easy to fire up. Just flip it on and in a few minutes I'm pulling shots. Granted, the shots *might* not be quite as good as a machine with an E61 group head can produce (i.e. the might be more fluctuation in the temperature and thus flavors), but without testing the two types of machines (over the long haul), side by side, it's difficult to know if I would be making a move up or just a move sideways. Not only that, but there is something to be said for a simple, lever controlled machine. I have had the machine apart a number of times and - short of the boiler failing - the machine is very sturdy. A total overhaul of the gaskets only costs a few bucks and you are back in business.

So, for now, I'm just going to keep the ol' La Pavoni while I decide what to do next. I've also recently read that the older La Pavoni machines are sometimes build a little better than the newer ones. I'm not 100% sure if that's the case, but it wouldn't surprise me all that much if it were.

As always, comments are welcome :-)

Ray

TUS172

#3: Post by TUS172 »

I think that you have made a wise decision. La Pavoni Pre-Milleniums are a great little machine!

If 'Upgraditis' is currently striking your fancy... Just take your time and consider your additional needs. I began with lower end Gaggias- then to the Silvia- then a tangent into La Pavs and other levers... But then I realized that in having multiple levers I still had the 'want' for producing multiple types of espressos-caps... without having to jump through the hoop of having small levers with groupheads that heat up and small boiler capacity. For me it was the addition of a HX. For you it may be a commercial lever, but just take your time and enjoy what you have. JMHO
Bob C.
(No longer a lever purist!)
LMWDP #012

KnowGood

#4: Post by KnowGood »

Hey Ray, if you don't mind me asking - where did you get the square profiled grouphead gasket?
Lyndon
_________
LMWDP #251

RayJohns (original poster)

#5: Post by RayJohns (original poster) »

Hey Ray, if you don't mind me asking - where did you get the square profiled grouphead gasket?
They came from http://www.McMaster.com - hang on and I'll find the part # for ya.

Here you go - part # 4061T294 (AS568A Dash Number 328). Square cross section, ID 1.875" / OD 2.25" width of 3/16"

They are made of Buna-N rubber, but it works fine. They only come in packs of 25 and you have to pay tax and shipping from MCMaster. If you only need a couple, PM me and I can probably sell you a few and just toss them in an envelope.

They work *far better* for sealing than the normal round profile O-rings that everyone passes off as replacement parts. They are also a lot easier to clean, since there is no "valley" around the O-ring for grounds to stick in. I'm real happy with it on my machine.

Ray