VAM Caravel v1 microswitch

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
cuppajoe

#1: Post by cuppajoe »

Greetings -

I'm looking for a source for the microswitch used in the v1 VAM Caravel. Have so far whiled away a couple hours online with no luck.

Any help appreciated.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by dumpshot »

I have a fried one as well. Never had any luck locating one and finally gave up.

Pete
LMWDP #484

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

I would think anything the right size that makes contact would work and wonder what can be retrofitted from microswitches made for pressurestats, for instance.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

cuppajoe (original poster)

#4: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Hi Gary -

That's plan B. The trick is going to be finding something not only close to the size, but with the mounting holes in the right place with proper spacing. Kluging something is always available, but as you know, the Caravel's thermostat system is a marvel of over-engineering. Not only is it complicated, but the adjustments are rather limited in range as well. Wanted to avoid having to make invasive mods.
David - LMWDP 448

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

Can you show us a photo of the switch with measurements? It'll help others visualize the challenge.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

cuppajoe (original poster)

#6: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Here's the switch installed -

And the switch -

Assembled, the case is 29.75mmL X 18.2H X 11.45W. The mounting holes are 22.2mm on center.The spring tab with the contact and is riveted to the S bracket has deconstructed. I'm also exploring trying to kludge a different contact spring in there. Unfortunately there are no manufacturing marks on it. A modern replacement would probably be better.

This thing drove me nuts for several days. It is a normal off switch and the Caravel requires a normal on for the machine to function, so was never powering on. As the switch looked like it could be assembled to work either way, I attempted to reassemble it correctly.
David - LMWDP 448

crazy4espresso

#7: Post by crazy4espresso »

My 110v element recently gave out right about the same time my microswitch went. I theorize the microswitch issue had something to do with the short life span of my element? I don't believe these switches are rated for the higher amperage of operating at 110v. I would like an suitable replacement before I buy another element. I'm glad someone started this thread.
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

redpig

#8: Post by redpig »

cuppajoe wrote:Here's the switch installed -
<image>
Assembled, the case is 29.75mmL X 18.2H X 11.45W. The mounting holes are 22.2mm on center.The spring tab with the contact and is riveted to the S bracket has deconstructed. I'm also exploring trying to kludge a different contact spring in there. Unfortunately there are no manufacturing marks on it. A modern replacement would probably be better.

This thing drove me nuts for several days. It is a normal off switch and the Caravel requires a normal on for the machine to function, so was never powering on. As the switch looked like it could be assembled to work either way, I attempted to reassemble it correctly.

That looks a lot like the grinder shutoff microswitch from my DRM 68. Let me see if I can lay my hands on it and take measurements. I had noticed this before but never wanted to pull my v1 microswitch :/
LMWDP #411

redpig

#9: Post by redpig »

So the dimensions aren't a perfect match (though mounting holes look alright), but might be shimmable. I'm not sure if the contact location is a bad fit (can't check it in the vam right now) though:

27.85mmL x 15.83H x 9.71W

LMWDP #411

crazy4espresso

#10: Post by crazy4espresso »

The mounting holes are not on a diagonal though, on the VAM/Caravel. They're on the same side.
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427