Value of a DP Caferina Milano Espresso Machine

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
gusgraycx

#1: Post by gusgraycx »

Hi I recently started doing some research about this coffee machine I have at home that has been in my cupboard for many years after someone offered to buy it from me. I became a little curious about the eagerness of them wanting to buy it. I am trying to establish the value of the one I have in terms of age and value. It is needing new seals and needs a re chrome and the red base plate needs to be resprayed (if that is something one does with such a machine).

tohenk2

#2: Post by tohenk2 replying to gusgraycx »

If you post a picture it will be less difficult to put a pricetag on it. Unseen (etc.) it is nearly impossible to say something about it.

civ

#3: Post by civ »

Hello:
gusgraycx wrote: ... doing some research about this coffee machine I have at home ...
... trying to establish the value of the one I have in terms of age and value.
Sometimes Google can be of help.
From http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/dp.htm

And the english language version:
http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/m_dp_eng.htm

---
"These machines are extremely rare given the short period of marketing.
---

The web page has some photos of other D.P units including one sold on eBay in 2009 but with no mention of the price it sold for. Seems F. Ceccarelli has a couple in his collection so I don't think he would be interested in another one.

Assuming that you have no intention of keeping it, I'd say that your best chance of getting a real price for this (apparently) rare machine for which you don't have a price reference is to auction it, always bearing in mind that 'rare' does not necessarily mean 'high value'.

Cheers and good luck.

CIV

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

Even if the paint or chrome are deteriorated it may be worth keeping them original, but it is hard to tell without seeing photos. One of those in very good condition and fully serviced listed on Home-Barista for $600. It may have sold for less. That type of machine was sold in different brands, including D.P. The actual workshop that made it may be Nea Lux. Here's the Home-Barista listing so you can compare the condition of yours.

[SOLD] 1959 Caferina pre-Europiccola lever machine & accessories

I have a very similar machine, with the red base, extremely rare because it seems to be the first one that company labeled La Pavoni while otherwise having all of the Caferina parts. Mine is in excellent condition and is a high quality machine. After paying for the machine and parts I think it cost me less than $600. The machine itself may have been about $400 plus shipping, and I bought it off of eBay.

1961 La Pavoni Europiccola History and Servicing
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

[creative nickname]

#5: Post by [creative nickname] »

If you are talking about the Caferina I bought from Dana, I paid $600. That was for a machine in perfect working order, lovingly restored with a thoughtful combination of original parts wherever possible, new seals and gaskets, and modern wiring to keep the machine safely functional. The original paint job and chrome were still intact and minimally scratched.

Functionally this machine is quite similar to early first generation Pavonis, which often trade hands here for around the $400 price that Gary mentioned. I paid extra due to the rarity and well-preserved original condition, and considered the price quite fair in that light. The build quality on these machines is very high, so if well cared for you might well be able to pass them down to your grandchildren.

Here is Dana's original listing: [SOLD] 1959 Caferina pre-Europiccola lever machine & accessories

Francesco's page is also worth studying. Please tread very lightly making repairs or modifications. Feel free to post pictures here and many of us will be happy to offer thoughts on what level of restoration is needed or appropriate.
LMWDP #435

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

Yes, Mark was the buyer. He recently visited me and saw my 1961 La Pavoni. It seems like yours has red paint like my machine.
Gary
LMWDP#308

RioCruz

#7: Post by RioCruz »

gusgraycx wrote:I am trying to establish the value of the one I have in terms of age and value.
It's worth what anyone is willing to pay. Good luck!
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

gusgraycx (original poster)

#8: Post by gusgraycx (original poster) »

Hi...
These are a few pics of the machine..needing some tlc

drgary
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary »

Angus,

Thank you for the photos. I don't think it needs re-chroming. The chrome could be mostly cleaned up and is better to keep original. I don't think whatever's on the paint is easily cleaned, so it probably needs repainting. Whoever collects it will probably preserve the label. The value would be impacted by whether the heating elements are intact or need to be rebuilt. Given its condition, value would be well below what we quoted on machines in good and excellent condition. As RioCruz wrote above, it's worth what someone would pay for it. These days the values of even collectible machines seem to be pretty low historically.
Gary
LMWDP#308

[creative nickname]

#10: Post by [creative nickname] »

I agree that this should go for a "needs restoration" price, and don't have much to add otherwise to Gary's thoughts. The right collector might enjoy it as a project, so it is still worth offering it for sale if you don't want to take on the work yourself.
LMWDP #435