User Experience with the Strietman CT2 - Page 9

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
pGolay

#81: Post by pGolay »

Hi Chris - right, very likely, about the temperature swing - I was checking more to find the 'soonest I could pull a shot' time. I'll leave it on a bit this weekend and see what happens.
-PG

erik82

#82: Post by erik82 »

djcuvcuv wrote:One thing I will say is that I've never changed any of my seals ever, and I've owned the machine now for about 2.5 years. Every 6 weeks or so when I take out the piston to re-lube, the seals just seem perfectly fine to me so I've not had any glaring reason to replace them. Has anyone else's experience differed drastically to that of mine in this regard?

Again, thanks so much, everyone, for all your input and help here.
- Chris
Mine is a first batch CT1 and I only replaced the seals once but that wasn't because they really needed to be replaced but after nearly 2 years I just thought it was time to do so. It did replace the piston seal once more because I'm already testing a new one Wouter developed for about 6 months now (probably the same as in every CT2).

I do a relube and clean about every 2-3 weeks because it's just so easy to do. It takes around 5 minutes. I still love mine and really want a CT2 but can't justify it for myself as the improvement over the CT1 is so small and espresso quality will still be the same.

edit: I leave my CT1 always on for multiple hours, sometimes for 6 hours a day. Even with this kind of use it performs flawless.

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
naked-portafilter

#83: Post by naked-portafilter »

djcuvcuv wrote: I'm surprised that you've experienced no increase in smoothness. pGolay's comments about increased smoothness seemed to make intuitive sense since the lining is now stainless steel. I've found with the CT1 that the smoothness after a re-lube only really lasts about 1 week or less, but I just carry on and ignore it and simply handle the lever raising carefully so as to not suddenly/abruptly lift.
- Chris
I think I should mention that I use my CT1 only occasionally (I have way too many levers in the roastery). That means less wear, scale and need for lubrication.

How does the CT2 SS lining behave regarding scale if used regularily?

pGolay

#84: Post by pGolay »

I'm happy to say I cannot answer the question about scale - in Seattle we seem to have about the right water for an espresso machine - no sign of scale ever appeared on my CT-1 that I was aware of.
-PG

djcuvcuv

#85: Post by djcuvcuv »

Has anyone tried the new black EPDM piston seal in their CT2 (or CT1 I suppose)? I believe the CT2 ships standard with the green silicone seal, so one would have to swap it out in order to try it. If anyone has tried it and has any opinions or thoughts, I'd be very interested to hear.

Many thanks!
-Chris
Best wishes,
Chris

djcuvcuv

#86: Post by djcuvcuv »

Just an update on my previous post: I love the black EPDM piston seal in both the CT2 and CT1. I consider it an improvement to both when compared to the default green silicon piston seal for essential one reason: significantly less friction, i.e. smoother piston stroke/action. So much so that I no longer need to apply any dow-111 lube on the piston seal.

The green piston seal is great, no big reason to rush and switch, but perhaps buy one and if you happen to find yourself with the piston out of the machine during cleaning say, maybe swap it out and I think you will be very happy with the improved smoothness.
Best wishes,
Chris

pvdori

#87: Post by pvdori »

Hello Chris, any further thoughts on using the EPDM seals?

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza
djcuvcuv

#88: Post by djcuvcuv »

The EPDM seals are by far and beyond any shadow of a doubt the superior seal technology for both the CT1 and CT2. My reasons are:
-- smoother piston movement action
-- needs much less lubrication (in my case, does not need any lubrication whatsoever, i.e. i do not need to apply dow-111 to the EPDM seal and the action is still very smooth)
-- withstands higher peak pressures

I've been using EPDM seals in both my CT1 and CT2 now for several months and because of the aforementioned reasons, my workflow, maintenance, and experience using both machines has improved.

One detail to note: when installing the EPDM seal on the piston, make sure the wider side of the seal is facing downward (the seal is asymmetric by design)
Best wishes,
Chris

Laddu

#89: Post by Laddu »

Not sure why, but for me, the EPDM seal feel very spongy. Like air is trapped between piston and shower screen. I flushed the water couple of time, but same result...

djcuvcuv

#90: Post by djcuvcuv »

that is strange. i have not experienced this issue in neither ct1 nor ct2. one thing i did experience however was a decrease in shot volume when i first installed the epdm seal with dow-111 lubricant. the piston was then too smooth and gravity would cause the piston to descend before the lever could close off the water from displacing out from the pressured chamber (between coffee and piston head) into the open boiler (above piston head.)

the solution was not to use any lubricant -- it is entirely unnecessary.
Best wishes,
Chris