User Experience with the Strietman CT2 - Page 80

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Corgo

#791: Post by Corgo »

I just started using the SW instead the b plus ones I had been using. I am not sure if it's the wider diameter or thinner material, but I have been getting much better shots. Interestingly, I found that I had to grind quite a bit finer with the new SW pick screens and no longer getting the side squirts that I would get about half the time. I need more use with it to make a final decision but I think I am going to retired the b plus puck screens.
erik82 wrote:Looks really nice. I just ordered two of them as shiping was more expensive then one of them. No more cutting up aeropress filters which I've been doing for years.

Hudson

#792: Post by Hudson »

Last night I installed Gabor's piston pressure gauge. Install was quite easy, though getting the pin out of my old piston was a challenge. In the end, I drilled a hole into a block of wood, then used a dowel and hammer to gently tap the pin out and into the drilled hole.

Pulled my first shots with it just now. I have been pulling shots at ~4 bar :shock: ! I've suspected I don't use 9bar due to relatively thin crema, but still figured I was in the neighborhood of 6 bars.

After the first shot, I tweaked my grind to pull a flat 6 bar profile. Wow - you have to press hard. For reference, I am a fit 6ft 3in, around 200lbs. I actually shook slightly while trying to maintain the flat 6 bar profile. I'm guessing my technique needs to change some.

I had previously read (and told others!) that the force required to pull the lever felt akin to slicing through cold butter. I don't feel that is the case after this experience. I had also been worried about imparting any flex onto the lever for fear of damaging components. I'm not sure you can pull at 9bar without some flex.
LMWDP #534

erik82

#793: Post by erik82 »

This is exactly why I love the pressure gauge and wouldn't want to be without it. You can think that you're doing the right thing but in the end the hard numbers will tell you something completely different. Everything I've read here by others doing the math and throwing numbers just didn't correspond with what the pressure gauge was telling me. My experience was exactly the same as yours. And now you know with certainty that you're doing the profile you want.

Don't mind the flex as I can pull up to 11 bar without problems. And if you see Wouter making espresso on his machine he also puts much force on it. There's nothing to worry about and you can just pull flat 9 bar shots time after time if you want.

Starspawn2318

#794: Post by Starspawn2318 »

Instructions say to use some molykote multilub after polishing the metal. I can't seem to find any available to purchase in the US online. Where do you folks get yours or do you use something else instead?

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#795: Post by LBIespresso »

So what you're saying is, I have been making Aeropress with my CT2. Gonna have to try pulling much harder this afternoon.

Thanks for the heads up!
LMWDP #580

U2u

#796: Post by U2u »

Starspawn2318 wrote:Instructions say to use some molykote multilub after polishing the metal. I can't seem to find any available to purchase in the US online. Where do you folks get yours or do you use something else instead?
I am waiting for my CT2 to ship but when it arrives I am considering using Renaissance micro-crystalline wax polish. This product has served me well protecting mammoth ivory and carbon steel on straight razors so it ought to work well on the Strietman. Be curious if others have taken this route.

RyanP

#797: Post by RyanP »

Hudson wrote:Last night I installed Gabor's piston pressure gauge. Install was quite easy, though getting the pin out of my old piston was a challenge. In the end, I drilled a hole into a block of wood, then used a dowel and hammer to gently tap the pin out and into the drilled hole.

Pulled my first shots with it just now. I have been pulling shots at ~4 bar :shock: ! I've suspected I don't use 9bar due to relatively thin crema, but still figured I was in the neighborhood of 6 bars.

After the first shot, I tweaked my grind to pull a flat 6 bar profile. Wow - you have to press hard. For reference, I am a fit 6ft 3in, around 200lbs. I actually shook slightly while trying to maintain the flat 6 bar profile. I'm guessing my technique needs to change some.

I had previously read (and told others!) that the force required to pull the lever felt akin to slicing through cold butter. I don't feel that is the case after this experience. I had also been worried about imparting any flex onto the lever for fear of damaging components. I'm not sure you can pull at 9bar without some flex.
I had a similar experience the first time I put a pressure gauge on and realized what I thought was 9 bar was 6 bar and that I was quickly declining to 2-3 bar for the majority of the shot.

The cut through cold butter tip was from me. When I pull a block of butter directly out of the fridge and cut through it with a butter knife it's quite hard and takes a moderate force. I just tried again and it still feels right to me, but it's certainly just an approximation. I guess depending on knife sharpness and butter hardness it may not work :)

My suggestion would be to use two hands and allow your body weight to help, as opposed to muscling through it. I found this old video I took of what looks like pulling a 9 bar shot that declines down to 6 and then 3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYw_84wva8g I'm using two hands to take it to 9 bar and then by 6-7 switch to one hand. I don't believe I was using my body weight to assist, which really does make it an easier experience.

I also never go up to 9 bar effort any more, either.

erik82

#798: Post by erik82 »

Most of the time I'm on my knees when pulling shots and using 2 hands :mrgreen: . That way I can clearly see the bottomless extraction and use my upper body weight to aid in pulling which helps a lot. From what I've seen when I was in his shop Wouter just stands in front of it and pushes hard from above with two hands and both will result in the same pressure results although in a completely different way.

Davi-L

#799: Post by Davi-L »

Just to keep this long winded thread going for a few days...
What is the taste difference in pulling 3 or 6 or 9 or more BAR shots on the CT2?
Is it worth the extra pull?

Davi

Hudson

#800: Post by Hudson replying to Davi-L »

Now that's the question, isn't it :D. As I mentioned earlier, before installing the pressure gauge I suspected I pulled under 9 bars due to crema that dissipated faster than it has done on my previous E61 boxes. That said, espresso from my Strietman has, in general, been fantastic.

I pulled 5 shots today after installing the gauge, but don't have things quite dialled in yet. I'm shooting for a peak of ~7 bars, then declining until the shot finishes. The addition of the gauge actually has me feeling a bit overwhelmed... I'm watching the bottom of the basket via a mirror, the weight of the shot, the shot timer, and the gauge to monitor my pressure. All of this is happening within 40 seconds!

While I'm still getting things figured out, I do notice a difference in taste. The shots I've pulled today feel more intense. Today, the change in intensity was a negative shift - they were harsher. I'm currently pulling Nossa Familia Full-Cycle, a medium roasted comfort blend. I think I am now overextracting as I got undesirable roasty notes and some bitterness/astringency. Before the changes, I was getting a sweet, smooth blend of chocolate, nuts, and a touch of acidity to balance things out.

My hope is that as I get comfortable incorporating the gauge, this change in intensity shifts to be an improvement, bringing more desirable flavors out to the forefront.
LMWDP #534