User Experience with the Strietman CT2 - Page 8

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mikel

#71: Post by mikel »

elbertfunkleberg wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that these are pretentious crap?

Sorry, I don't mince my words. :twisted: I'll get my coat...
I find folks who find the need to state "sorry, I don't mince my words" to be pretentious. :P

RyanP

#72: Post by RyanP »

elbertfunkleberg wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that these are pretentious crap?

Sorry, I don't mince my words. :twisted: I'll get my coat...
What about it = crap? That it is simple but expensive? No argument there but that hardly makes it "crap". Have you ever used one?

truemagellen

#73: Post by truemagellen replying to RyanP »

I thing Englebert is just stirring the pot :mrgreen:

but I'll add that it is expensive because it is hand made in Europe. It is an art piece and one of the best if not the best manual levers in history. Making it a great deal.

Compare it to the Cremina...also hand made in Europe but with more modern production techniques but more of a utilitarian design and not as easily classified as an art piece.

ES3 mounted on the wall lends itself to artpiece of course more than a CT but that is highly up to individual interpretation.

elbertfunkleberg

#74: Post by elbertfunkleberg »

Sorry guys, too much beer last night. Sanity returning this morning. :oops:

djcuvcuv

#75: Post by djcuvcuv »

Hi everyone,

I am a very happy owner of a CT1 from Wouter's last "batch" of CT1s before he discontinued the CT1 and started the CT2. I'm tempted to upgrade, but I don't really see a genuine need to. The areas that I would be very interested in hearing about from someone who's operated both a CT1 and CT2 for some substantial amount of time are:
1. Do you notice a difference in the piston action? Significantly and noticeably smoother? Less need for the Dow111 lubricant on the green piston seal?
-- In my experience, the CT1's green piston seal needs very very little lubricant, but needs to be re-lubricated frequently (every ~2 weeks) in order to stay super smooth. And even the very next few shots after a re-lube might have spots along the lever-raise action which momentarily stick slightly.

2. Is the timing of the heat cycles for pulling a shot significantly/noticeably easier? Significantly more forgiving? Significantly more stable? Or different in any way? (of course adjusting the temp is easier, but I'm referring to the heat cycles at a given temp)
-- In my experience, the CT1 does fine if you pull the shot at any point, but certainly does pull better shots if you start within 30sec of the red light turning on. Which is ok but kind of restrictive since I have to be keeping an eye on the light for it to toggle off and then on again.

3. Is the amount of time needed for the machine to fully heat-up significantly shorter? (I'm told the CT2 has a lower wattage heating element)
-- I find that even though the CT1 is said to have an 8min heat-up time, the machine is just so much more temp stable after about 30min that I don't really try to pull a shot until at least 30min have elapsed since turning it on. For one thing, I don't hear the water bubble/boil at the very beginning of the heat cycle after about 25/30min of heat-up time, whereas around the 8-10min mark, the water is audibly boiling/bubbling at the onset of heat cycles.

4. Is there anything else that is a game-changer for anyone who already owned a CT1 that made them really and justifiably want the CT2?

Thanks for any and all advice/input/thoughts!
- Chris
Best wishes,
Chris

pGolay

#76: Post by pGolay »

Hi Chris - due to circumstances not entirely in my control, I have just been able to make this comparison - Only a couple of days in, but my take so far is, (not actually having them side by side):

- The main thing so far is that the action of the lever when pulling a shot is very,very clean and direct feeling. I was not aware of anything that I did not like on the CT-1 in that respect, but the 2 just feels super smooth but also somehow more 'direct'. The lever is somewhat larger in diameter - it may be that there was just a bit of give or spring in the handle on the 1, not sure... Also the 2 has a stainless lining on the cylinder, which may contribute smoothness. Also, of course the CT-2 brand new, but even with that consideration, it feels better. Anyway, the upshot is it is even more of a pleasure to use.

- The temperature control is very much better, without having changed a lot - the knob is still very stiff, but it is larger in diameter, knurled, and has a pointer on it so you can see 'where it's at' No more trying to guess if you moved it or did your fingers just slip a little.

- It *seems* to heat up rather faster - I have not done any real tests but it does feel like it gets to temp and stabilizes more quickly. I will try to pay attention in the coming days and see if that is true - I've been switching it on and running downstairs to work for a few minutes and coming back to find it ready to go sooner than I expected, not timing anything.

- The water temperature range or variation is smaller than the CT-1 once it gets to temperature. I have a thermo-pop hanging in there and so far it only varies 4-5 degrees F. Again, nothing rigorous in the way of monitoring this but it is for sure less 'wavy'.

Update: OK, I made a slightly more systematic test for time and temp:
Starting from cool room temp of 64 F:

8 minutes, 186F
9 minutes, 192F
10 minutes, 197F
11 minutes, 202F
12 minutes, 203F
13 minutes, 201F
14 minutes, 208F
15 minutes, 206F
16 minutes, 203F
17 minutes, 203F
18 minutes, 208F

That was a bit hotter than I wanted so I messed with things from there on but you get the idea - I guess the 'spread' is roughly 6 degrees F, so not far off the CT-1, which I never actually checked like this, though probably a bit better, as I recall.

Hope that helps.
-PG
★ Helpful

erik82

#77: Post by erik82 »

Nice to read the differences. My CT1 only has a 2C (3F?) temp swing measured with a very good and stable thermometer. I can pull shots within 0.5C if my timing is right.

naked-portafilter

#78: Post by naked-portafilter »

I had the CT2 in the roastery for a while because we machined a new batch of our piston pressure kit for the CT1/CT2 series. Hopefully, Wouter doesn't mind if I post some side by side pictures with my CT1. At first glance, it's not easy :-) to see the differences.

The new model is 5mm taller.

The drip tray sits 5mm deeper, the group head is longer and fatter (because of the stainless lining on the cylinder), the funnel shorter but there is at about 5mm more distance between the group head and the drip tray.

Yes, the lever-action is more direct on the CT2 because the thicker rod used for the lever. I wouldn't say it is smoother (nothing has changed in this regard). Both are super smooth if the seals are in the same condition.

It's an important difference that the piston of the CT2 travels 5mm more (43mm vs 38mm). That means we can pull more water, slightly longer (7-8ml/g) shots with the CT2.
★ Helpful

pGolay

#79: Post by pGolay »

Thanks for that. I'd noticed the longer pull - more water - as well. I was not sure if it was my imagination though. Glad to have that confirmed.
-PG

djcuvcuv

#80: Post by djcuvcuv »

Wow, everyone, thanks so much for the detailed and helpful replies here. There is progressively less and less daylight between the current moment and the moment when I pull the trigger on a CT2 :). Although I love my CT1 and really have no complaints as such, I think the modest improvements in the CT2 would really just increase my daily pleasure in interacting with coffee, and simplify my workflow.
pGolay wrote: Update: OK, I made a slightly more systematic test for time and temp:
Starting from cool room temp of 64 F:

8 minutes, 186F
9 minutes, 192F
10 minutes, 197F
11 minutes, 202F
12 minutes, 203F
13 minutes, 201F
14 minutes, 208F
15 minutes, 206F
16 minutes, 203F
17 minutes, 203F
18 minutes, 208F
I think the swing may be due to the entire CT2 object still is heating up and therefore able to dissipate more heat in the cycles. I would think that probably after another 15-20min the swing would be much smaller. I havn't measured mine in a long while, but I tend to turn on the machine and do stuff around the house for 45min or so before I get back to pulling the elixir of espresso excellence haha. At which point the entire machine is quite "temperature saturated."
naked-portafilter wrote: Yes, the lever-action is more direct on the CT2 because the thicker rod used for the lever. I wouldn't say it is smoother (nothing has changed in this regard). Both are super smooth if the seals are in the same condition.
I'm surprised that you've experienced no increase in smoothness. pGolay's comments about increased smoothness seemed to make intuitive sense since the lining is now stainless steel. I've found with the CT1 that the smoothness after a re-lube only really lasts about 1 week or less, but I just carry on and ignore it and simply handle the lever raising carefully so as to not suddenly/abruptly lift.

One thing I will say is that I've never changed any of my seals ever, and I've owned the machine now for about 2.5 years. Every 6 weeks or so when I take out the piston to re-lube, the seals just seem perfectly fine to me so I've not had any glaring reason to replace them. Has anyone else's experience differed drastically to that of mine in this regard?

Again, thanks so much, everyone, for all your input and help here.
- Chris
Best wishes,
Chris