User Experience with the Strietman CT2 - Page 66

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
John49

#651: Post by John49 »

I cut 10 (1.75") discs from one #4 cone filter for the bottom and use a coffee sensor disc for the top.

Zybane

#652: Post by Zybane »

Chrikelnel wrote:I'm using the OE Robot bottom filter papers which for some reason fit perfectly as the bottom paper for Strietman baskets.

https://www.oehandgrinders.com/oe-botto ... 100pc.html
Oh nice find, just ordered a thousand.

Received my CT2. What a thing of beauty. The Walnut looks excellent too. Can't wait to start using it.

cuongdinh

#653: Post by cuongdinh »

Had mine for two weeks now and started to have a feel of it. There're some interesting stuffs to share:
  • I come from a Linea Mini with no prior experiences with levers. Expected the CT2 to beat the Mini right out of the box. Didn't happen :D. For several reasons, 1, didn't get the temp right, 2. Did pre-infuse way too long, 3. The machine seems to need a break-in or I need to learn how much force to apply. But there was very little pressure/resistance in the first week, even though grinding near burr touch with LCU. Saw it as very common question from new lever users, Robot or the likes. Grinding coarser now with the same LCU and getting good pressure, and tasty shots, comparable to the Mini. A side note, the Helor Flux can still choke the CT2 at the beginning while the LCU couldn't. Probably a conical vs flat difference.
  • Also have the dosing funnel and distribution tool and very happy with them, enhancing the puck prep experience massively. The dosing funnel is tamp, distribute through and fits the portafilter perfectly. Seems short but is not for 15g, very fluffy ground from the LCU, just right.
  • And of course it's a beauty <3

★ Helpful

Corgo

#654: Post by Corgo »

cuongdinh wrote:Had mine for two weeks now and started to have a feel of it. There're some interesting stuffs to share:
  • I come from a Linea Mini with no prior experiences with levers. Expected the CT2 to beat the Mini right out of the box. Didn't happen :D. For several reasons, 1, didn't get the temp right, 2. Did pre-infuse way too long, 3. The machine seems to need a break-in or I need to learn how much force to apply. But there was very little pressure/resistance in the first week, even though grinding near burr touch with LCU. Saw it as very common question from new lever users, Robot or the likes. Grinding coarser now with the same LCU and getting good pressure, and tasty shots, comparable to the Mini. A side note, the Helor Flux can still choked the CT2 at the beginning while the LCU couldn't. Probably a conical vs flat difference.
  • Also have the dosing funnel and distribution tool and very happy with them, enhancing the puck prep experience massively. The dosing funnel is tamp, distribute through and fits the portafilter perfectly. Seems short but is not for 15g, very fluffy ground from the LCU, just right.
  • And of course it's a beauty <3
Looks great and thanks for the note on break in period so I don't freak out when I get mine! Which wood is that btw?

cuongdinh

#655: Post by cuongdinh »

It's padauk. Hope you'll enjoy yours.

Corgo

#656: Post by Corgo replying to cuongdinh »

That is such a beautiful wood finish you picked! Looks great and makes me second guess rosewood. Thanks and I am sure I will once it arrives!

tompoland

#657: Post by tompoland »

I'm not sure that there is a breaking in period as such for the machine. Perhaps what's been referred to is getting to know the CT2?
Corgo wrote:Looks great and thanks for the note on break in period so I don't freak out when I get mine! Which wood is that btw?
Some people drink coffee to wake up, I wake up to drink coffee.

cuongdinh

#658: Post by cuongdinh »

No, it's some mysterious 'no pressure' issue with new levers that I see in many threads

On Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/CafelatRobot/c ... ame=iossmf

jley08 seemed to have the same issue with CT2
User Experience with the Strietman CT2

I experienced it once with Flair 58 with a group of friends as well. One guy (newbie) tried twice with no pressure, resistance. Then another guy, more experienced, didn't have that issue. I was grinding the coffee and there was no change in grind size.

One explanation is that the puck is broken when the lever is lifted and this is more likely to happen with new machine/people. Anyway, I had this theory at the beginning and lifted the lever very carefully (6-8s), still very little pressure. So in my case, feel like the CT2 is broken in. Grind size coarser yet pressure is there.

Newfie

#659: Post by Newfie »

I'm still having a lot of trouble getting my portafilter on/off. I read that it can take a couple of weeks before it starts feeling better but its been a couple of months now and it's seemingly worse.

I contacted Wouter a month ago and he said it could take 200+ shots before it starts to settle and feel better and I'm definitely over 200 now.

For it feel OK at all I have to apply the multilub but that only lasts ~2 days before it feels horrible again. It feels like metal on metal scraping so I feel like there's something wrong but now I've had the machine so long, hoping it would go away, that I can't really do anything about it in terms of return...

I've also noticed that I continuously have to wipe off this black residue that forms in the forks of portafilter and on the part it attaches to on the machine - but I assume that's just the grease turning that color. Still, I thought it worth mentioning just in case it's not.

Anyone else that got a machine in the last few months experiencing this?

Davi-L

#660: Post by Davi-L »

My Strietman is the same age as yours.
I do keep a toothpicks worth of grease on the mounting lugs. If it's dry, then lube it. Yeah it turns black. Clean and relube. That's just the beast. I also turn the same way for on and off. Evens out the wear a bit I guess.
The gasket that the basket rides against may need to wear down a bit. That's new stuff.
You are not overdosing the basket? Couldn't mount the portafilter. I did initially and have now stopped. Some coffee has more volume than others. Mine is like a feather pillow.

Did you ever break in a new baseball glove? Takes a long time.

Enjoy the coffee,
I am,
Dave