User Experience with the Strietman CT2 - Page 65

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
dak

#641: Post by dak »

Occasional cappuccino is a good use case for keeping the Pavoni. I still have both but as I drink espresso only, the CT2 is my daily driver. The La Pavoni is fun to use and can make great espresso but the CT2 is better in just about every way. You can't beat the lever feel on the CT2. Hard to make a bad shot with it.

erik82

#642: Post by erik82 »

Word_salad wrote:If you still have both can you comment on the differences between the Strietman and the Pavoni? I'm looking to sell the pavoni and get a strietman but I'm considering keeping it around for the occasional cap.
Larger shot volume
Superior temperature stability
Much better feel in the lever
Superior build quality
Well the Strietman is, apart from the ability to steam, a far better machine in every way.

km6064

#643: Post by km6064 »

Just finally impulse ordered a CT2 thanks to a lot of the praise and great info on this thread pushed me over the edge. Got the itch waiting for my December MC4 (soon to be MC5!) grinder so by the end of the year hopefully will have a *fairly* decent upgrade from the Niche/Robot combo ;)

Has anyone had a robot and a CT2 and could comment on difference in feel in hitting 6-8 bar? Is it a fair amount lighter feel on the Strietman? Would kinda like to avoid the pressure gauge install if i can, maybe have some sessions with bathroom scales initially.

Also does anyone have any links to good 50mm paper filters or scissors/manual cutting still the only option? I guess the market for them is pretty small....

Excited for the CT2!

cyclezib

#644: Post by cyclezib »

I've been using these Whatman filter papers. I don't think you will need a gauge whatsoever. It is very easy to feel when you are getting pre-infusion pressure. The balance of the effort on the lever is to apply full pressure. I could be imagining it, but I believe the bend / curve of the lever forces a slight decrease in pressure as the shot progresses.

https://www.dscbalances.com/products/wh ... n-1004-050

Davi-L

#645: Post by Davi-L »

50mm or 2" papers,

Amazon has a cheap, repeat cheap 2" paper cutter punch tool. Works ok. 5 Aeropress filters at a time works too.

D.

km6064

#646: Post by km6064 replying to Davi-L »

Thanks guys for the responses. Yeah i actually got a popular one of those cutters today (EK) to try and it chewed some chemex papers up horribly. I have a small manual clicker press knocking about, might get a simple circle die and bang out a load of them from all the random brewer filter papers i have about. I'll end up with millions of em ha! Just thought might be a good supply out there but will check the Whatman ones out

Ad-85

#647: Post by Ad-85 »

Congrats on both CT2 & MC5. You'll never miss the robot especially with medium lighter roasts. I'd buy the orphan espresso paper filters for the robot (they fit the CT2 basket) + the coffee sensors thin screen.
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads on Telegram

Chrikelnel

#648: Post by Chrikelnel »

I'm using the OE Robot bottom filter papers which for some reason fit perfectly as the bottom paper for Strietman baskets.

https://www.oehandgrinders.com/oe-botto ... 100pc.html

Chrikelnel

#649: Post by Chrikelnel »

km6064 wrote:Has anyone had a robot and a CT2 and could comment on difference in feel in hitting 6-8 bar? Is it a fair amount lighter feel on the Strietman? Would kinda like to avoid the pressure gauge install if i can, maybe have some sessions with bathroom scales initially.
I would say I find it takes about the same effort to hit 6-8 bars on the Robot using 2 hands as it does on the Strietman using one hand for me.

erik82

#650: Post by erik82 »

km6064 wrote:Thanks guys for the responses. Yeah i actually got a popular one of those cutters today (EK) to try and it chewed some chemex papers up horribly. I have a small manual clicker press knocking about, might get a simple circle die and bang out a load of them from all the random brewer filter papers i have about. I'll end up with millions of em ha! Just thought might be a good supply out there but will check the Whatman ones out
I own a very sharp set of scissors and can cut through 20 Aeropress filters at a time. It takes me literally 3minutes to cut 200 Aeropress filters. I just use a 49mm blind filter rubber disk to cut them around but you could also use a shower screen of filterbasket.