User Experience with the Strietman CT2 - Page 50

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
jley08

#491: Post by jley08 »

truemagellen wrote:I have an Ek43s, a Strietman ES3 (wall mounted ct2 basically), and a Flare 58.

The flare 58 really needs meticulous puck prep, a higher dose (18g+), and keep pressure 8.5bar or lower with the EK.

The Strietman is far more forgiving to dose, puck prep, and pressure although I bet I rarely hit 9bar particularly with the lighter roasts I like.

Both shots taste great but I rarely use the Flare 58 (which I got a year after the Strietman). I've read over and over to get a slower flow basket on the Flare 58 to improve the shot and to allow for a bitter lower dosing but I haven't tried yet and I plan to sell the Flare 58 this summer.

One last note, since the EK is so uniform you may have peculiar looking shots as they flow out of the basket so it is best to gauge on taste first then perhaps volume.

Good luck!

Thank you so much! This helped me have a better understanding on the EK43 and pairing it with levers like a flair 58 and ct2

Newfie

#492: Post by Newfie »

Hello,

I've been looking more and more into the CT2. I love the look of it, the little maintenance it seems to require and I have only ever read good things about the taste it cup. I'm in Canada so I'm usually looking at paying a premium for nice machines here. I was wondering if there are any other Canadian customers here that could tell me what I might be looking at in terms of duties/taxes. Trying not to be surprised if I get a crazy high delivery fee.

Thanks!

tompoland

#493: Post by tompoland »

I appreciate the need to budget but I'll add that whatever the duty/tax/shipping is, it's worth it. I'm in Australia where we typically pay 10% import duty (it's a bit random in my experience) and being a smaller and more remote market we pay a premium for shipping too.

But if you are after a thick, flavor full, medium to dark espresso, I don't think there is anything that matches the Streitman (any model).

And it's Fun (please note capital F).
A little obsessed.

John49

#494: Post by John49 »

Newfie wrote:Hello,

I've been looking more and more into the CT2. I love the look of it, the little maintenance it seems to require and I have only ever read good things about the taste it cup. I'm in Canada so I'm usually looking at paying a premium for nice machines here. I was wondering if there are any other Canadian customers here that could tell me what I might be looking at in terms of duties/taxes. Trying not to be surprised if I get a crazy high delivery fee.

Thanks!
I have the CT1 and the extra charges included GST, $10.50 processing fee and $4.25 transaction fee.

Newfie

#495: Post by Newfie »

tompoland wrote:I appreciate the need to budget but I'll add that whatever the duty/tax/shipping is, it's worth it. I'm in Australia where we typically pay 10% import duty (it's a bit random in my experience) and being a smaller and more remote market we pay a premium for shipping too.

But if you are after a thick, flavor full, medium to dark espresso, I don't think there is anything that matches the Streitman (any model).

And it's Fun (please note capital F).
It would take a lot to stop me at this point but I really just wanted to know a ballpark figure of what I would be looking at.
John49 wrote:I have the CT1 and the extra charges included GST, $10.50 processing fee and $4.25 transaction fee.
Good to know, thanks!

Alestz

#496: Post by Alestz »

Any tips on increasing body for shots? I just got my CT2 a couple weeks ago and am still trying to experiment with what I like best

truemagellen

#497: Post by truemagellen replying to Alestz »

Dose a bit higher, higher pressure, and aim for a lower ratio. Also blends with some robusta in it can help make the thick shots.

Alestz

#498: Post by Alestz replying to truemagellen »

Should preinfusion time and total shot time also affect it? I am trying to tweak timings by taste but am having a hard time perceive differences in body

erik82

#499: Post by erik82 »

Body is more dependent on roast level then on machine parameters. Buy medium or darker roasts and use 7-9 bar for maximum body. Lower pressure can also result in less body.

jley08

#500: Post by jley08 »

djcuvcuv wrote:this thread is the best. learned so much from the small but mighty strietman community. ive varied my recipes and procedures quite a lot over the years. ive had a ct1 since 2018, and ct2 for about 1 year now. ive tried a whole spectrum of recipes/procedures, all of which produces truly excellent results in the cup and plenty of very pretty pours/extractions along the way too (id argue the latter is less important but i admit it feels so darn satisfying when it is pretty)

(note that ive only ever used the 18g basket)

- 15g-19g in
- 25g-50g out
- filter light roast all the way to espresso medium roast
- w and w/o bplus screen
- w and w/o spraying the puck with water mist to prewet the puck just before pulling the shot
- w and w/o WDT
- w and w/o paying attention to whether the red light is on or not
- w and w/o the lid
- passive preinfusion from 0-30s
- active preinfusion from 5-30s (1-3bar ish)
- "full pressure" (5-10bar) extraction time from 20-1m30s (total shot times as long as almost 3min)
- fast and slow lever lift (tend to carefully lift regardless of speed though)
- ive never touched the temp knob on either machine, it's always been set to what appears to be the max temp

my current recipe for the very light roasts im using (Sey Coffee Roasters Kenyan and Ethiopian):
- 16g in
- w/ bplus screen
- w/ lid
- monolith max set to the ~3.5 mark on the collar
- roughly 15s passive pre (this includes lifting the lever)
- roughly 25s active pre and ramp up
- max around 6-7 bar and pull remaining 45s
- yields about 45-48g in the cup
- absolutely delicious longer light-roast shot profile

ill edit this list if i think of more parameters.

best wishes,
chris

Do you use the 18g basket for the very light roast?