User Experience with the Strietman CT2 - Page 37

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
truemagellen
Supporter ♡

#361: Post by truemagellen »

Since the spring pressure is so high on the la San Marco it will push the water through the puck and shot can run fast if not dialed in really tight. Strietman is more forgiving during dial in and compensating as the bean ages since you can manually control it.

I really like the Strietman with a larger flat burr since i get such sweet pulls and if I don't hit the higher pressure shot still tastes great.

If I were to choose one machine for shots only it would be strietman.

drH

#362: Post by drH » replying to truemagellen »

Based on the comments above, do you think the body/mouthfeel is less on the Streitman?

renatoa

#363: Post by renatoa »

Hard to say if you have no idea about the extraction pressure.

But, with a manual lever and a pressure meter you can do everything a pump or spring machine can do... the reverse is not true.

So yes, for me too the manual lever is the machine to go, if I want freedom of experimenting.

dak
Supporter

#364: Post by dak »

I've had my CT2 for a week now and I'm blown away by the results in the cup. I've pulled about 2500 shots on my Bianca in the last couple of years and I already prefer the shots from the Strietman. Really love the simplicity and heat up time. For my preferred style of espresso, it has really paired perfectly with my MAX for creating super sweet light roast ristrettos.

tompoland

#365: Post by tompoland »

drH wrote:Based on the comments above, do you think the body/mouthfeel is less on the Streitman?
Definitely not.
Some people drink coffee to wake up, I wake up to drink coffee.

tompoland

#366: Post by tompoland »

truemagellen wrote:...dilemma with decent is the lower flow makes it difficult to achieve thicky body shots which the Oa San Marco group is known for.
BTW that has not been my experience of the Decent. Certainly not when using Scott Rao's Blooming Espresso preset. It produces shots as thick and full-bodied as I've ever had. Just my experience of course.

tompoland

#367: Post by tompoland »

Me again (obviously). Where do you get your filter papers from and any make/type/size recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

dak
Supporter

#368: Post by dak » replying to tompoland »

Under the puck. I find these improved flow and allow me to grind finer for similar flow rate/shot times. Also keeps any grounds from passing through to the cup.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00394F9OG/re ... UTF8&psc=1

On top to keep the group clean and possibly aid with more even water distribution.
https://www.dscbalances.com/products/wh ... n-1004-050

I use the grade 4 papers which have the highest flow rate.

John49

#369: Post by John49 »

I've been using a filter paper on the bottom and a Bplus screen on top with the DE1 and thought I'd try papers in the Strietman basket. Using a circle template and a #4 generic cone filter, I inscribed and cut out four 1.75" and four 2" discs which fit perfectly in CT1 basket.

tompoland

#370: Post by tompoland » replying to John49 »

Thanks John, I cleaned my bplus yesterday using coffee machine cleaning pellet (Breville) and boiling water. I was horrified at the amount of gunk that came out. Turns out they retain a lot of stuff that goes slowly goes off (rancid?) given enough time and definitely starts to effect the flavor. I'm now discarded the three I have (different basket sizes for three different machines) which is why I am on a quest to find filter papers.