User Experience with the Strietman CT2 - Page 30

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
renatoa

#291: Post by renatoa »

For me is group size.

Much easier to prepare a 49 mm puck than a 58mm, especially when you restrict yourself to quantity of grounds.
Obviously this has correspondent in taste, never got from a 58 mm group the taste I got from a Pavoni.

drH

#292: Post by drH »

buddman wrote:Taste in the cup!
Really? I'm surprised it would be so noticeably different than a Londinium which is already praised as having thick smooth shots (and has good temperature control).
I do get the advantage of the 49mm group though- I feel like it's a lot more forgiving on my Cremina than my previous 58mm machine.

txxt

#293: Post by txxt »

renatoa wrote:What make the build/delivery of this machine last so long ?
I doubt the request is so big... :? Are they produced as a hobby, after job hours :?
Piston arm was delayed due to supply constraints, COVID, etc. Pretty understandable, slightly vexing but not unexpected or intolerable.

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#294: Post by mborkow »

renatoa wrote:True, not for me, already owning another open boiler. Just curious.
Having parts in stock for at least three machines, so delivering same week should be part of the game....
Mounting of this machine, having all the parts in the warehouse, should take hours, at most.
If not planning enough parts stock based on a predictable request over some years of activity, I think denote no care for the customer.
Usually you wait to become a customer before you start making complaints...

renatoa

#295: Post by renatoa »

In a world with the "Like" button only maybe...

In other worlds, companies that apparently behave very healthy pay external consultants to tell them what is wrong.

Ad-85

#296: Post by Ad-85 »

renatoa wrote:What make the build/delivery of this machine last so long ?
I doubt the request is so big... :? Are they produced as a hobby, after job hours :?
My machine was the last one sent before Wouter's summer vacation and I was the only one who encountered the new piston arm issue. Wouter's support is amazing! He replicated my problem in just 2 days (on his vacation!) and ordered new longer piston arms (which took longer than he predicted due to covid restrictions). The lead time for making new machines has always been 6 weeks but in this case the piston arms were new and bit shorter so he had to fix it (a one time thing). I wish all manufacturers were like Wouter who is very helpful and he sent me an entire piston assembly for free (along with some free seals and gaskets) but I asked for express delivery and paid the difference which was 20€ only. I'm really happy with my CT2 and the premium craftsmanship/support from Wouter.
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

buddman
Supporter ♡

#297: Post by buddman »

drH wrote:Really? I'm surprised it would be so noticeably different than a Londinium which is already praised as having thick smooth shots (and has good temperature control).
I do get the advantage of the 49mm group though- I feel like it's a lot more forgiving on my Cremina than my previous 58mm machine.
Dustin, Londinium is capable of great shots. For me, it has not provided the consistency and I tend to go through more coffee to get the shot that I am looking for. Dialing in with a spring lever often requires me to retard or push harder on the lever to attempt to correct the flow. This will usually make for a sour or bitter shot and sometimes it ends up in the sink. I find that without using a spring, I can better modify the shot mid-stream, getting better taste in the cup. This learning occurs to assist in dialing in the next shot, but also allows me to enjoy each shot made with the CT2.
I agree with you about the forgiving nature of Cremina. I have owned two of them and if I had a better feel for controlling the temperature of the shot, I would never have sold them for the Londinium.
Every morning I turn on the CT2. I wait 15 minutes for the open boiler to heat up while preparing the puck for the first shot. Check the temperature by sticking the ThermoPop in the water. When in the heating cycle the temperature is right for the puck, I pull a great tasting shot. Clean up and repeat for the second shot without the heating up wait. I love this machine.
Some drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

txxt

#298: Post by txxt »

What a great machine so far. I was able to accompany the French toast served to the significant other this morning with a naked espresso shot we pulled together. And her comment was that it was the best shot she'd ever had. I haven't had a milk drink in weeks and not missing them much now even w a Bellman now on my stovetop to work with.

Workflow has been a cinch and will be even easier once a funnel arrives (sadly forgot to patronize Wouter for one) and I figure out the best way to empty a puck. I'm a big fan of the basket prep outside of a portafilter holder now. And of the open boiler design. A real treat to use.

Max temp 14g-->30g yield, 30 sec preinfusion shot of Haraaz Red resulted in a really tasty treat!

tompoland

#299: Post by tompoland »

Thanks to all contributors to this thread I just ordered a CT2.
A little obsessed.
★ Helpful

djcuvcuv

#300: Post by djcuvcuv »

Congrats! You will not be disappointed :)
Best wishes,
Chris