User Experience with the Strietman CT2 - Page 15

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
truemagellen

#141: Post by truemagellen »

Espressoman007 wrote: I only wish that in the near future Wouter offers another basket, 21 g. I was actually surprised how sufficient 18 g is and delivers a great shot, strong enough and with enough body. So I am not unhappy with 18 g, but since I prefer stronger coffee it would be great to have a 21g basket. OK, right, I can shorten a shot, but I don't like to, I like those 40-ish grams.
g
You can get a larger shot even on the big strietman basket by removing the shower screen and placing a stainless disc, not the Bplus one but the Tudor one on top of puck or a stainless screen from mcmaster car. Paper is also an option (aeropress for instance, tamped)

erik82

#142: Post by erik82 »

A 21gr basket will be way to tall to give a good extraction. The 18gr basket also starts to show this issue. And more coffee means more water thecoffee will soak during dwell time so your total output will be smaller. For a 21gr basket to really work well you need a larger diameter basket.

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
robeambro
Supporter

#143: Post by robeambro »

Thanks Jason.

I am quoting you but this is perhaps a question for everybody. Is there an equivalent of a portafilter cradle, but for the Strietman basket? Basically a cradle that would keep the basket in place whilst I do WDT and tamp.
Sort of like these objects.

I'd like to get a wooden one but I'm afraid that repetitive tamping might ruin the surface over time, to be honest.

And yes, I know one doesn't need a cradle. But I like little wooden objects, and I need something to keep my mind busy until September. :D

truemagellen

#144: Post by truemagellen »

erik82 wrote:A 21gr basket will be way to tall to give a good extraction. The 18gr basket also starts to show this issue. And more coffee means more water thecoffee will soak during dwell time so your total output will be smaller. For a 21gr basket to really work well you need a larger diameter basket.
I completely agree with this, I stop at 16.5 but sit at 15.5 usually.

That being said if you want more water (without a mid shot felillin move that will fail horribly in the Strietman as it gives up all pressure), I do an active preinfusion, maybe 1 bar depending on coffee 5-15 secs, then lift lever back to top and quick ramp up to full pressure. This allows for a much larger shot without damaging pick integrity. If you have a puck screen this move is easier to pull off

John49

#145: Post by John49 »

robeambro wrote:Thanks Jason.

I am quoting you but this is perhaps a question for everybody. Is there an equivalent of a portafilter cradle, but for the Strietman basket? Basically a cradle that would keep the basket in place whilst I do WDT and tamp.
Sort of like these objects.

I'd like to get a wooden one but I'm afraid that repetitive tamping might ruin the surface over time, to be honest.

And yes, I know one doesn't need a cradle. But I like little wooden objects, and I need something to keep my mind busy until September. :D
Completely unnecessary with the Strietman, the basket is prepared outside the portafilter and then dropped in. For tamping, my finger tips are around the side of the basket and I press the tamper plate with my thumbs.

robeambro
Supporter

#146: Post by robeambro »

Thanks. I did say 'basket cradle' and I did also say that I was aware of it being unnecessary yet I wanted one for the aesthetics. :wink:

truemagellen

#147: Post by truemagellen » replying to robeambro »

i use a device sometimes, but mostly just tamp with basket out of portafilter

i think a strong wood would work great, just make sure it has a heat resistant finish as the brass on the Portafilter gets very hot