User Experience with the Strietman CT2 - Page 15

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
truemagellen

#141: Post by truemagellen »

Espressoman007 wrote: I only wish that in the near future Wouter offers another basket, 21 g. I was actually surprised how sufficient 18 g is and delivers a great shot, strong enough and with enough body. So I am not unhappy with 18 g, but since I prefer stronger coffee it would be great to have a 21g basket. OK, right, I can shorten a shot, but I don't like to, I like those 40-ish grams.
g
You can get a larger shot even on the big strietman basket by removing the shower screen and placing a stainless disc, not the Bplus one but the Tudor one on top of puck or a stainless screen from mcmaster car. Paper is also an option (aeropress for instance, tamped)

erik82

#142: Post by erik82 »

A 21gr basket will be way to tall to give a good extraction. The 18gr basket also starts to show this issue. And more coffee means more water thecoffee will soak during dwell time so your total output will be smaller. For a 21gr basket to really work well you need a larger diameter basket.

robeambro

#143: Post by robeambro »

Thanks Jason.

I am quoting you but this is perhaps a question for everybody. Is there an equivalent of a portafilter cradle, but for the Strietman basket? Basically a cradle that would keep the basket in place whilst I do WDT and tamp.
Sort of like these objects.

I'd like to get a wooden one but I'm afraid that repetitive tamping might ruin the surface over time, to be honest.

And yes, I know one doesn't need a cradle. But I like little wooden objects, and I need something to keep my mind busy until September. :D

truemagellen

#144: Post by truemagellen »

erik82 wrote:A 21gr basket will be way to tall to give a good extraction. The 18gr basket also starts to show this issue. And more coffee means more water thecoffee will soak during dwell time so your total output will be smaller. For a 21gr basket to really work well you need a larger diameter basket.
I completely agree with this, I stop at 16.5 but sit at 15.5 usually.

That being said if you want more water (without a mid shot felillin move that will fail horribly in the Strietman as it gives up all pressure), I do an active preinfusion, maybe 1 bar depending on coffee 5-15 secs, then lift lever back to top and quick ramp up to full pressure. This allows for a much larger shot without damaging pick integrity. If you have a puck screen this move is easier to pull off

John49

#145: Post by John49 »

robeambro wrote:Thanks Jason.

I am quoting you but this is perhaps a question for everybody. Is there an equivalent of a portafilter cradle, but for the Strietman basket? Basically a cradle that would keep the basket in place whilst I do WDT and tamp.
Sort of like these objects.

I'd like to get a wooden one but I'm afraid that repetitive tamping might ruin the surface over time, to be honest.

And yes, I know one doesn't need a cradle. But I like little wooden objects, and I need something to keep my mind busy until September. :D
Completely unnecessary with the Strietman, the basket is prepared outside the portafilter and then dropped in. For tamping, my finger tips are around the side of the basket and I press the tamper plate with my thumbs.

robeambro

#146: Post by robeambro »

Thanks. I did say 'basket cradle' and I did also say that I was aware of it being unnecessary yet I wanted one for the aesthetics. :wink:

truemagellen

#147: Post by truemagellen replying to robeambro »

i use a device sometimes, but mostly just tamp with basket out of portafilter

i think a strong wood would work great, just make sure it has a heat resistant finish as the brass on the Portafilter gets very hot

djcuvcuv

#148: Post by djcuvcuv »

Hi all,
Hope my fellow Strietman-ians have been faring well these last many many difficult months. Question for everyone who uses the new-ish EPDM (black or white) piston seal/washer:
- Have you tried both the white and the black one and if so is there any difference?
- When using either black or white EPDM seal, do you use it with that additional tiny seal placed coaxially within that gap? (see pic attached)

For context, i personally use the black EPDM seal without the additional tiny seal (purely because that was all that was available the last time i removed the piston and I have not heard any compelling reason to experiment)

Thanks in advance all!
Best,
Chris
Best wishes,
Chris

Idfixe

#149: Post by Idfixe »

Have not but interested to hear about the difference if any.

Tetra

#150: Post by Tetra »

I recently replaced the original black gasket on my CT2 with the white gasket that has the black inner ring. It works much better for me, but that is at least partly (completely?) due to the fact that the old one was damaged. I've had the CT2 for one and a half years. At least I think that is it ... or is it 2.5 years ... whenever they first were available (I have serial number 12). In the last couple of months I started getting spritzers when pulling a shot and was thinking maybe the Niche Zero was going bad. But when I next cleaned the CT2, I realized a good chunk of the piston seal had come loose. My guess is that I damaged it when reinstalling it from the previous cleaning. In any case, it was not in good shape.

After a long wait for the new gasket (wow Deutsche Post is not very speedy; it took six weeks to make its way across the ocean). But that's irrelevant to the question here. As I was saying, when I received the gasket and installed it, it was a great improvement. The spritzer problem is gone, the espresso is rich and wonderful, and all is right with the world again.

So I don't really have a good answer to your question about whether the gasket is better. I'm pretty sure white one is at least as good as the original when it was new. In my imagination, it is better, but I can't say for sure. Really, it is just a gasket and it is doing its job. All I know for sure is that the machine is amazing. Using my 20 year old La Pavoni Europiccola for a few weeks again while waiting for a gasket was a good forced comparison. But that's a different post waiting to happen.