User Experience with the Strietman CT2 - Page 11

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
dave_in_gva

#101: Post by dave_in_gva »

Thanks everyone. Agree it would not be too difficult to move forward which is anyway what I do for my HG-1 grinder each use.

By the same token I am guessing I could move the Cremina back and forth I suppose - or the Londinium Vectis which Reiss is saying he will provide more specifications on in June....

Chrikelnel

#102: Post by Chrikelnel »

Has anybody tried both a Strietman and a Cafelat Robot? I have a Robot but I'm thinking of getting a Strietman as my main machine for its light roast capabilities.

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
truemagellen

#103: Post by truemagellen »

Love the robot but Strietman is a huge upgrade since you can pull multiple shots. Also I prefer a 49mm basket to 58mm on a lever particularly a manual one.

renatoa

#104: Post by renatoa »

+1 for the smaller basket !

what specific feature make CT2 more capable for lighter roasts ? :?

truemagellen

#105: Post by truemagellen » replying to renatoa »

You can have temp stability through the entire shot thanks to the internal heater heating elements

renatoa

#106: Post by renatoa »

The heater is for long term stability, during extraction the loss is too small in a closed group to be a concern.
There is no reason to have a loss bigger than one degree during a 30 seconds extraction, when the liquid is sealed between the piston and coffee puck.
Also, heating elements placement shows they were not intended to heat the lower area of the cylinder.

truemagellen

#107: Post by truemagellen » replying to renatoa »

I meant keeping the heat up as you do a long preinfusion, lets say a 30-60 sec preinfusion on some light roasts. It is certainly harder to heatsoak a stainless Robot to get the temps high enough and keep them throughout a long light roast preinfusion although a small tapering temp profile I'd consider desirable after preinfusion.

The strietman heating elements are in a brass machined cavity bolted to the outside of the piston cylinder in the back (the inside is sleeved with stainless on the newer CT2 but on the ES3 which I have there is no stainless). The entire brass cylinder heats up and dissipates heat throughout very evenly, only the portafilter seems to be a bit cooler but only on the exterior.

At first I wasn't that fond of the ES3 but once I got into the rhythm with it, I enjoy it as much as the Izzo Alex Leva and from a quick startup/'portability' factor it beats it.

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
Chrikelnel

#108: Post by Chrikelnel »

Also does anybody know what wood is on the CT2 product photos on the Strietman site?
Edit: Wouter got back to me it's cocobolo which unfortunately isn't currently available

Espressoman007

#109: Post by Espressoman007 »

truemagellen wrote:I meant keeping the heat up as you do a long preinfusion, lets say a 30-60 sec preinfusion on some light roasts. It is certainly harder to heatsoak a stainless Robot to get the temps high enough and keep them throughout a long light roast preinfusion although a small tapering temp profile I'd consider desirable after preinfusion.

The strietman heating elements are in a brass machined cavity bolted to the outside of the piston cylinder in the back (the inside is sleeved with stainless on the newer CT2 but on the ES3 which I have there is no stainless). The entire brass cylinder heats up and dissipates heat throughout very evenly, only the portafilter seems to be a bit cooler but only on the exterior.

At first I wasn't that fond of the ES3 but once I got into the rhythm with it, I enjoy it as much as the Izzo Alex Leva and from a quick startup/'portability' factor it beats it.

Hi,
that is a cool base for ES3, how heavy is it, looks good too! I have just put an order for CT2 today, can't wait to play with it.

Cheers!

truemagellen

#110: Post by truemagellen » replying to Espressoman007 »

Thanks I just took some scrap metal from my shop, it is all aluminum. Right about 3lbs. The wood accents not installed on the ES3 weight about 2lbs so I went up 1lbs.

I'll probably clean it up and make it more travel friendly as it doesn't need as much width if I have a stickier base.

Congrats on the CT2!!!!